Infinity install question

sps1013sps1013 Posts: 700
Forum Member
✭✭
Due to virgin messing up availability in my new build I'm having infinity 2 installed. Having to wait 4 weeks so bit disappointed.

Anyway, I'm unsure as to how the siting of the infinity equipment works. I know I have a modem and a hub to be installed but where does it go?

My house has its master phone socket at the front door with power too, however the computers are upstairs? I don't use wireless so what's my options.

Obviously virgin would install the broadband in the room where the computer is but I can't find anything with bt like it.

Any information please?

Comments

• jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,623
    Forum Member
    There's no reason why you shouldn't run a longer ADSL lead from the new master socket faceplate to the upstairs location you prefer for the modem and hub.

I quickly found a 25m RJ11 lead on Amazon and I understand some people have even spliced into extensions using cat5 cable to get a really long run.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    jackthom wrote: »
    There's no reason why you shouldn't run a longer ADSL lead from the new master socket faceplate to the upstairs location you prefer for the modem and hub.

I quickly found a 25m RJ11 lead on Amazon and I understand some people have even spliced into extensions using cat5 cable to get a really long run.

It's FTTC not ADSL.

The BT Infinity engineers are, by all accounts (certainly in my experience) very helpful. In my case he installed a new master socket in the room where I wanted the modem and router. They will also install (up to 30m I think) of Cat 5 cable to allow the router to be sited away from the modem if that's what you want.

You will also get a new Homehub 3 which you can use wirelessly if you wish. I use a mix of direct router connection, wireless and homeplugs
  • sps1013sps1013 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have phone sockets in all the rooms so can one of those be utilised at all?
    Forum Member
    sps1013 wrote: »
    I have phone sockets in all the rooms so can one of those be utilised at all?

The modem has to be directly connected to the master socket. In my install, the engineer installed a new master socket and the old one became an extension.

The new master socket has a filtered faceplate on it so you don't need filters on any equipment.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,623
    Forum Member
    It's FTTC not ADSL.

The BT Infinity engineers are, by all accounts (certainly in my experience) very helpful. In my case he installed a new master socket in the room where I wanted the modem and router. They will also install (up to 30m I think) of Cat 5 cable to allow the router to be sited away from the modem if that's what you want.

You will also get a new Homehub 3 which you can use wirelessly if you wish. I use a mix of direct router connection, wireless and homeplugs

Must admit I haven't had mine installed yet but I was under the impression the same connectors and cable were used. It's certainly good to know the installation engineers are so helpful.
    Forum Member
    jackthom wrote: »
    Must admit I haven't had mine installed yet but I was under the impression the same connectors and cable were used. It's certainly good to know the installation engineers are so helpful.

I wish I'd known in advance - I went to the time and trouble of installing cat 5 cabling from the site of my old master socket to where I wanted the router only to find I didn't need to.
  • myviewmyview Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    even though I have sky fibre installed, a BT engineer (Openreach) still had to come out to install the modem etc...
    he was very helpful, but I did not require my sockets moved or anything at all. He did offer to install it elsewhere if I wanted - they are helpful!
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will also install (up to 30m I think) of Cat 5 cable to allow the router to be sited away from the modem if that's what you want.

That's what I thought, but my engineer said they had to be together. He was insistent about that, even when I queried it.

Anyway, because I needed direct ethernet connections to my Freesat box and Bluray system, I had everything installed next to my TV, and ran a 30m CAT5 cable upstairs to my computer later after I got crap results using wireless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    That's what I thought, but my engineer said they had to be together. He was insistent about that, even when I queried it.

Anyway, because I needed direct ethernet connections to my Freesat box and Bluray system, I had everything installed next to my TV, and ran a 30m CAT5 cable upstairs to my computer later after I got crap results using wireless.

Can I ask what speeds you're getting? This setup sounds very much like mine. I've upgraded to the 70mb option and am now getting http://www.speedtest.net/result/1932314022.png which is rubbish :cry:
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave7634 wrote: »
    Can I ask what speeds you're getting?

You can, but I have Option 1, which means I still have 38Mbps download speed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    If I switch to BT Infinity, my master socket is in the bedroom where I house my computer / modem etc, but if I take BT Vision the box would be connected to a normal phone socket with filter at the back of the TV. Would they put another master socket at the back of the TV?
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    TalaFlicka wrote: »
    If I switch to BT Infinity, my master socket is in the bedroom where I house my computer / modem etc, but if I take BT Vision the box would be connected to a normal phone socket with filter at the back of the TV. Would they put another master socket at the back of the TV?

When I had BT Vision they supplied free Homeplugs to solve your problem.

As I recall the BT Vision box didn't directly connect to the phoneline, it merely connects by Ethernet to the HomeHub (which is what the Homeplugs will effectively achieve). However I don't know if this applies to Infinity though.

They worked a treat for me.
    Forum Member
    mersey70 wrote: »
    When I had BT Vision they supplied free Homeplugs to solve your problem.

As I recall the BT Vision box didn't directly connect to the phoneline, it merely connects by Ethernet to the HomeHub (which is what the Homeplugs will effectively achieve). However I don't know if this applies to Infinity though.

They worked a treat for me.

Thanks for the fast response; I suspect I have absolutely no idea of the internet and the latest technology these days! I had to google, “What is a homeplug?”

Currently the HomeHub is in the spare bedroom plugged into the master socket.
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    TalaFlicka wrote: »
    Thanks for the fast response; I suspect I have absolutely no idea of the internet and the latest technology these days! I had to google, “What is a homeplug?”

Currently the HomeHub is in the spare bedroom plugged into the master socket.

All you will do is put a Homeplug into a power socket near your HomeHub and connect an ethernet cable between the two. Similarly put a Homeplug in a socket neat the BT Vision box, connect the two with an Ethernet cable and away you go.
    Forum Member
    mersey70 wrote: »
    All you will do is put a Homeplug into a power socket near your HomeHub and connect an ethernet cable between the two. Similarly put a Homeplug in a socket neat the BT Vision box, connect the two with an Ethernet cable and away you go.

Thanks for that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The modem has to be directly connected to the master socket. In my install, the engineer installed a new master socket and the old one became an extension.

The new master socket has a filtered faceplate on it so you don't need filters on any equipment.

So could I get the engineer to make the master socket be in the study and put the one at the front door as a slave socket?

If that's the case - perfect! I guess it's fairly easy for them to do?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Due to virgin messing up availability in my new build I'm having infinity 2 installed. Having to wait 4 weeks so bit disappointed.

I'm amazed Virgin actually installed cable tv in your new build property in the first place. Generally they do not expand their network.
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So could I get the engineer to make the master socket be in the study and put the one at the front door as a slave socket?

If that's the case - perfect! I guess it's fairly easy for them to do?
    if you have an existing extension in the study they can swap the master and extension.

They won't run a cable to your study, if its easy enough and he likes tea and digestives he might do it. If its a new build is the wiring not all in the walls? would you really want him to run external cables in your new build?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole estate of 52 properties are cabled. Boxes, ducting and a branded internal telephone point.

They sent 2 spotters out to assess who said yes, they sent two engineers to install last week but when they pushed the cable through the ducting outside the house it ran for 30 metres and emerged into a hole in the ground. A pit should have been put in place there but nothing, just a hole.

So, have told them where to stick their services, it was a transfer of services. They then wanted cancellation payments!!

Am now going with sky for tv and bt infinity for broadband but bt not coming until 25th. So, very happy!!!!!! Not!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hurlley wrote: »
    if you have an existing extension in the study they can swap the master and extension.

They won't run a cable to your study, if its easy enough and he likes tea and digestives he might do it. If its a new build is the wiring not all in the walls? would you really want him to run external cables in your new build?

I was querying whether the pre fitted outlets can be swapped. I.e can the master downstairs be swapped to upstairs. No cabling needs doing as its already in place when it was built.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was querying whether the pre fitted outlets can be swapped. I.e can the master downstairs be swapped to upstairs. No cabling needs doing as its already in place when it was built.

you are right i read it wrong, as long as the cabling was not botched it should be okay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't have thought it was botched, according to the site manager, BT came and installed all the cabling to the properties and terminated them in the current master socket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have thought it was botched, according to the site manager, BT came and installed all the cabling to the properties and terminated them in the current master socket.

No im sure it will be fine the chances are slim, its just that the engineer will use the spare pair in the cable to swap the master and extension and should it be faulty it won't work but chances are low anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will speak to the engineer when he arrives.

If he won't swap the sockets over what are my options?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole estate of 52 properties are cabled. Boxes, ducting and a branded internal telephone point.

They sent 2 spotters out to assess who said yes, they sent two engineers to install last week but when they pushed the cable through the ducting outside the house it ran for 30 metres and emerged into a hole in the ground. A pit should have been put in place there but nothing, just a hole.

I'm impressed, very rare for Virgin to do that these days. I'm sure they'll sort the problem with the pit in the end they're not going to spend all that money on the rest of the equipment then sort it, revenue on 52 customers is not to be sniffed at.

Absolutely possible but actually not allowed. It is called backwiring and the engineers aren't allowed to do it and should run a data extension cable instead.

The reason it isn't allowed is because BT say it can reduce speed. Most engineers do it though, but some will refuse.