Reality Bomb = Higgs Boson

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
Take away the Higgs Boson and the Higgs' Field, which gives particles of matter their mass, and everything falls apart and no longer exists, as per Davros' Reality Bomb. It could happen; or could it ?

Comments

• Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    I've made the mistake of trying to start conversations with strangers about the "Higgs Boson" and have been met with an overwhelming number of blank stares. Are there so few of us that are really interested?
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've made the mistake of trying to start conversations with strangers about the "Higgs Boson" and have been met with an overwhelming number of blank stares. Are there so few of us that are really interested?

It would help if we knew what the thing is good for.

I mean, we already know matter has mass. :confused:
  • Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member

Hey CHJ! Didn't expect to see you here! Check this
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not in itself a useful thing to have found, but by proving that it exists CERN have provided significant evidence in support of the standard model — a large step towards a single unified theory that explains all known phenomena.

So it means that scientists are probably heading in generally the right direction towards a more fundamental understanding of the universe, which equates to a much better ability to understand and to solve most physical issues that affect mankind.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the ultimate achievement would be to create the almost limitless power of the sun here on earth with Nuclear fusion - in a safe way. These discoveries are paving the way for this to happen. If we can do it I see no reason why we couldn't go on to create far reaching space ships.... Go CERN, Go....

There must be a Dr Who story some way down the line, in all of this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Torchwood did an audio play at CERN once didn't they? Also, found this :p
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amyy. wrote: »

Simply brilliant
  • EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Haha, also this :D
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Davros's reality bomb cancelled out the electromagnetic force so that atoms couldn't bond and you cannot even have atoms in the first place without the electromagnetic force. Therefore nothing made up of atoms would exist.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL.

I hope these higgs-bosons aren't going to get too cocky now they've finally come out of the woodwork, or wherever they were hiding.

Be good if Moff could somehow work them into Series 7. :D