Prologic 1 vs prologic 2

My reciever has ProLogic and PrologicII, when I am listening to a ProLogic (1) encoded DVD, video or other media source, should I have my reciever set to ProLogic or ProLogic II?

Many Thanks

Gavin

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the Dif Between Pro-Logic I and Pro-Logic II ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by scargill
    My reciever has ProLogic and PrologicII, when I am listening to a ProLogic (1) encoded DVD, video or other media source, should I have my reciever set to ProLogic or ProLogic II?

Many Thanks

Gavin

Which ever sounds best to your ears:)
    From what I have read DPII works very well with Dolby surround soundtracks but if your budget allows I would look to get a DD5.1 and DTS amp for your DVD's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by 735
    What is the Dif Between Pro-Logic I and Pro-Logic II ?

Dolby Prologic can generate a 4 channel (L,C,R and Rear) soundtrack from a stereo feed if it carries Dolby Surround information.
    DPII uses more advanced software/electronics to generate a 5 channel (L,C,R and Rear x2) soundtrack from a plain stereo source or one which carries the surround information.
    It's not upto DD5.1 or DTS standards but I've heard it can produce a very good effect from non 5.1 material.

More info.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should have your decoder set for Prologic II, primarily it was designed to give more life to old Prologic I soundtracks. However, for dvds you should be using the 5.1/dts option on your amp (if it has it).:)
  • scargillscargill Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aha....thanks all!
    It has DD5.1 and DTS (ex/es too, but I dont have a 6th speaker currently)
    I had a 5.1 amp before but it wasn't up to much so I got a new one, its hardly top of the range but its not a budget amp, put it that way! :D
    What I got to understand was PLII could make stereo sources sound like surround (including 2 rear channels, ect) but I couldnt for the life of me work out if a PL soundtrack (VCR/Old DVD) was being "properly" decoded with PLII on or if it was trying to work it out and doing a good job!
    Thanks for the advice anyway, if PLII decodes PL1 then theres no point in me changing the mode, if theres no DTS or DD then it devaults to PLII Movie anyway.