Gone Girl from David Fincher

12346»

Comments

• InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the most boring drawn out movies I’ve seen in a while. Spent most of it wishing it would just end so I could find out what the end result/twist of this often farcical story was. Perhaps that makes it a good film but in the end I felt like i'd been ripped off. All tease and no pay off.
    There wasn't even a sort of "what if" suggestion at the end to leave you guessing like the knife under Sharon Stone's bed. Even if it was just a hint that she was planning to kill him... just something other than the weird "I've got to stay with her.. err.. for the kid". Right.

Most disappointed that the website view and mouse use without the finger print wipe down wasn't used to bring her down in the end. I thought that was her one mistake. Maybe it was thrown in to keep the viewer guessing if she would be caught or not.

There are so many potential plot holes too. If she was tied up, where was she tied up? Because there was surely no evidence of this. If they'd checked the bed she slept in they'd have found traces of her there. Also how did she ensure only the CCTV footage of her "attack" was viewed and not the footage from earlier when she was happily strolling around the house.

Either way I'm left wondering what the point of the entire movie was other than a drawn out guessing game. Maybe I'm being harsh.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    dbob wrote: »
    You walked out of one of the best films of the year? You must have a very short attention span as I was never bored, it kept me captivated throughout. Not Finchers best but still very well made and highly watchable.

That's your opinion; mine is that it was boring. And no I don't have a short attention span; I could say you're easily pleased. I can watch films that just plod along but there's got to be something to keep my interest; when you don't care about the main characters it's hard to maintain any interest in the film.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brilliant film that had me captivated all the way through

only negative was the ending which just seemed weird.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    It was quite a good film, but it seemed to disappear up its own arse in the second half.
    Way too many plot holes left at the end, and you are left shouting at the screen "but what about this, but what about that", as there are so many ways that make the end not work, its silly.

I like David fincher, but i think a change of direction is on the cards for him.
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just an awesome film, I avoid Affleck films like the plague assuming it to be some smoochy darkish rom-com initially. Rosamund Pike is proof of how hard it must be to get good parts in the acting world because she goes above and beyond given the chance as proved in this film.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll spoiler this as it's probably plot specific, but it's from an interview Rosamund Pike gave regarding filming a particular part of the film.
    She said in an interview that David Fincher got them to film that particular scene where her character cuts Neil Patrick Harris' character's throat 36 times! :o

Apparently they used 450 gallons of fake blood and literally had to be washed down clean each time and the whole room perfectly reset.
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pob-Bundy wrote: »
    Just an awesome film, I avoid Affleck films like the plague assuming it to be some smoochy darkish rom-com initially. Rosamund Pike is proof of how hard it must be to get good parts in the acting world because she goes above and beyond given the chance as proved in this film.
    5.5/10

Too many annoying scenes and daft things happening.

Well made but let down by the random happenings.

Starts well but some things just make you laugh and say "oh come on", these things spoil the film.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only watched it for Rosamund Pike, shame she was dowdy for most of it.

Not sure what this film was trying to do, but it didn't do anything original IMO.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw it, I liked it but last ten minutes probably unnecessary.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed this at the cinema last year and looked forward to buying it, which I did this week!
    Can't wait to rewatch it :)
  • Ba Na NaBa Na Na Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing film. I loved it! I forgot my book at East Midlands Aiport though so I'm now sad :(
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Thoroughly enjoyed it up until the last twenty minutes or so...ended up being very disappointed with it.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Like Hollywood, the media is masochistic and loves tales of the odiousness of media frenzy, which to me was boring because Affleck's character was so irritating that I wanted something bad to happen to him. The film's lazy characterisation post-twist and the misogynistic overtones make it generic, if not insulting.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Jo March wrote: »
    Thoroughly enjoyed it up until the last twenty minutes or so...ended up being very disappointed with it.

The ending wasn't dramatic but it fitted with the theme of the film so that wasn't a major issue from me.