Options

Into The Woods (Musical Starring Meryl Streep)

LMLM Posts: 63,510
Forum Member
✭✭
Into The Woods is a popular broadway musical about a childless couple who set out to stop the curse placed on them by a witch. The film concluded production late november and is due on Christmas day on 2014. It has taken since 1991 to bring this to film.

It stars Meryl Streep, Emily Blunt, James Corden, Johnny Depp, Anna Kendrick, Tracey Ullman, Christine Baranksi and many others. Meryl Streep is playing The Witch, a role made famous by Bernedette peters in the US, while Emily Blunt plays The Baker's Wife, a role made famous by Imelda Staunton in the UK.

There isn't a trailer but someone made a montage of set photo's from the film on You tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDv_sC0ozqA

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else excited?
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not too fussed but I'll watch it when it comes out.

I saw a London production, must have been over 15 years ago, with Sheridan Smith as Red Riding Hood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump:)
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hated the musical at the Open Air Theatre. Meryl Streep is also a massive turn off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meryl has some big shoes to fill as Bernadette Peters effectively made that role her own in the broadway version. Anyone who has seen the filmed dvd will see why. She was just incredible.
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely cannot wait.

Read a few key and interesting moments from the original have been cut to make the movie more "family friendly" (typical Disney) but no one will know.

I've also a funny feeling not many who see this will know it's actually been a musical, which also helps the Disney franchise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    Absolutely cannot wait.

Read a few key and interesting moments from the original have been cut to make the movie more "family friendly" (typical Disney) but no one will know.

I've also a funny feeling not many who see this will know it's actually been a musical, which also helps the Disney franchise.

Yay, someone else who is excited. Feel like i am the only one.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmmm ..... saw the original london version with julia mackenzie ..... and the donmar warehouse revival from sam mendes ...... might actually drag myself into a cinema 1st time in ages ....... (admission is HOW MUCH ?)

.... this is about the dark Freudian aspect of fairy tales. so i hope we get something like Company of Wolves, and not Disney ......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay, someone else who is excited. Feel like i am the only one.

DS is never a good place to come if you want others to share excitement :D
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news. I adore Bernadette Peters. I love Meryl Streep. Hmm, tough call. Bernadette Peters is very underrated her in the UK. Still, she hasn't really toured here so mybe doesn't get the recognition. She is an amazing performer in whatever she does and looks absolutely incredible for a woman in her mid-late 60s. Very caring, philanthropic person, too.

Into The Woods isn't a musical I've seen through, despite knowing some of the score. Some of Sondheim's stuff- you either 'get' and like it, or you don't. Personally, I love most of his stuff, even if I don't always 'get' it, lol.
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    Into the Woods is my favourite musical - in terms of the plot, the intricate score and the mixture of comedy, dark content and heartbreaking moments, it is so much more than just a show about fairy tales.

My initial revelation is that Blunt and Corden are too young for the Baker and his Wife, but I have no doubt that Meryl will be incredible as the witch, hopefully giving a spin that makes her incomparable to the wonderful Bernadette Peters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot wait
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's received great reviews for the advanced screening yesterday :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The soundtrack is out on Monday, I will be getting it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doting DS gave it 2/5 stars!
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DS gave it a low rating. I was looking forward to it until I seen James Corden in the trailer. Now I don't want to see it any more. I can't stand him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reviews for Into the woods have mostly been positive elsewhere, with much of the acclaim going to Meryl Streep.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meryl Streep is the standout in Into The Woods and most likely to receive an Oscar nomination from it.
  • Options
    SereniitySereniity Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything Meryl touches turns to gold because she is the best actress Hollywood has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emily Blunt sounds good too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sereniity wrote: »
    Everything Meryl touches turns to gold because she is the best actress Hollywood has.

Indeed.

The reason why she is so fantastic and successful because she chooses roles that are suitible and deserving of her talent. She doesn't take on roles purely for the money and the sake of it. She is always consistent. Not like too many actresses of today.

I think she could very easily be joint with Katherine Hepburn and bag a fourth oscar in years to come.

The roles she has lined up for the next few years sound even more promising. She has recently filmed the Suffragette film (playing Emmeline Pankhurst) and is set to be playing Maria Callas in a film for HBO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The soundtrack is fantastic, full orchestrations and the cast uniformly sound amazing, I am not keen on Corden's narration but it's a small point. I can't wait to see it just annoyed the US can see it on Christmas Day and we have to wait until the 9th January!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The soundtrack is stunning. But based on the soundtrack, Corden comes across as emotionless and wooden. No feeling or enthusiasm in his singing.
  • Options
    TaintedmeatTaintedmeat Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks awful and the songs I have heard sound dreary and unforgettable