Gary Barlow has one of the BIGGEST egos in Britain

Comments

• GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember him crawling up Dave Cameron's chocolate starfish before the election.

Yep, that has almost ruined Take That for me.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,007
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Yep, that has almost ruined Take That for me.

Well it ruined Barlow for me. I couldn't go off Take That though ... their latest stuff has had more of Mark Owen's writing influence on it ... which is for the better. Besides that ... their live shows are just too good to miss ... and its in these that you see the influence of Donald and Orange.

Barlow can write a fantastic ballad when he puts his mind to it ... but for every Rule The World ... there's usually another couple of duffers like I'd Wait For Life. I'm really not too keen on the stuff he writes for other people either (with the exception of the comedy ones for Peter Kay) they're dire. I cite Alesha Dixon's To Love Again and the John Barrowman song (so forgetful I can't even recall one word from the title.)

Barlow's a good songwriter ... but not a great one ... and I think it is all this adoration and accolades (especially this time round) that have made him appear quite arrogant. To me anyway ... I may be wrong.

The Cameron stunt did annoy me especially though ... because the school that it was done from was one that had only started thriving under the Labour Government's B4S project ... which the Tories have now scrapped.

Ah well ... I suppose he's not the only pop star full of self-importance.
  • Janette800Janette800 Posts: 13,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hardylane wrote: »
    Because she's just a dull clothes-hanger who is well past her sell-by date?

Clothes Hanger:eek: she's not even that...she looks like she needs a good wash half the time and she cant sing IMO

And yes I am a Barlow fan...he as written some amazing stuff and if he is big headed he as every right to be so:)
  • Barbarella81Barbarella81 Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gary is one of the nicest celebs I've ever met, and it really upsets me that people think it's an act and hes arrogant.
    He and the rest of Take That are incredibly humble and take time out for their fans. I've met him several times and I've never seen his 'ego'.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    You cannot deny Gary has written some beautiful songs

He deserves his accolades
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    You cannot deny Gary has written some beautiful songs

He has indeed ... Pray, BFG and Never Forget from the first time and Patience, Said It All and Rule The World from this time. He has written some bilge as well though. His solo stuff (apart from one song ... Lie To Me ... which was never released) was total pants. As I said before ... I'm not impressed with the stuff he writes for others ... he seems just to be a 'songwriter for hire' .... with quantity over quality. He does his best writing for and with Take That. Although I must admit ... I prefer Owen's contribution more now than Barlow's. Owen has given the Take That (this era) a much needed breath of fresh air. I hope Barlow and Williams don't clog it all up again!
  • GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    Well I would agree with him about Britney Spears. She's history and can't even be bothered to sing live.

On the other hand Take That can and they're going to be even bigger next year with Robbie back on the tour with them. What they do after that - even if they split for good - they're still more successful than Britney ever will be.

She's only famous now for who her next boyfriend/husband will be. Her music isn't.

I like Gary and his book was very revealing. He certainly had a hard time over his solo career and alot of abuse.

I think he deserves his 2nd chance at success and good on him.
    Forum Member
    Well I would agree with him about Britney Spears. She's history and can't even be bothered to sing live.

On the other hand Take That can and they're going to be even bigger next year with Robbie back on the tour with them. What they do after that - even if they split for good - they're still more successful than Britney ever will be.

She's only famous now for who her next boyfriend/husband will be. Her music isn't.

I like Gary and his book was very revealing. He certainly had a hard time over his solo career and alot of abuse.

I agree about the second chance but he risks blowing it by a return of the arrogance that I now realise he did show first time. His book was an excellent read and it was largely due to that book that I started to like him (there was a certain degree of 'me, me, me' running through it but in a funny way ... not in a self-pitying way). It was ... with a hefty amount of humour thrown in ... a very 'matter of fact' read.

I've loved Take That this time round (I even like a few songs from the first time) but something happened to start me seeing something I didn't like during the time of that godawful series 'Britannia High'. On the credits it had 'Lead Songwriter - Gary Barlow' ... I just thought WTF? This is a bit of the 'I'm more important than the other songwriters' going on. It wouldn't be so bad ... but the songs in the show were mediocre at best - with Gary's the worst offenders. There's just something about the guy that I've only just started noticing lately ... the OK shoot - does the guy have any friends other than celebrities? He does seem to a display a certain amount of 'look who I'm friends with now'. These same people were making jokes about him a few years back. He should realise that this new-found respect is also largely due to Mark Owen, Howard Donald and Jason Orange.

Incidentally ... the most recent Ivor Novello Award was for Shine ... a song that I believe Owen and Donald came up with ... not Barlow.
  • teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
    Forum Member

History? She released her last studio album in late 2008, a greatest hits in late 2009 and her next studio album is expected this autumn. She is also very capable of singing live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hFeuSc-tHo) and Take That have been known to mime also, so that a very "pot kettle black" line of argument.

Britney Spears has sold 90.5 million albums. How are Take That more successful?

Britney's last high-profile relationship was with Justin Timberlake (it ended in 2002) and her marriage to Kevin Federline ended in 2006. Hardly famous NOW for her love life, is she? And I find it very hard to believe that Joe Public think of her relationships over such classics as "...Baby One More Time", "Oops!...I Did It Again", "Toxic", "Everytime" and "Womanizer" when they her the name 'Britney Spears'

Britney has had a hard time too, but I suppose she doesn't deserve a second chance... :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember him crawling up Dave Cameron's chocolate starfish before the election.

Yes and I liked him before that!
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never liked Take That at all and I was stupidly tormented to go to their Live Concert Last year as my mate wanted to go and I thought it would be a fate worse than death.

How wrong was I, its was awesome, loved it, so much so went out and bought their CD.

Very entertaining, enjoyable, outside venue at Trafford park and my god it was sunny and hot.

Brilliant
    Forum Member
    muddipaws wrote: »
    I never liked Take That at all and I was stupidly tormented to go to their Live Concert Last year as my mate wanted to go and I thought it would be a fate worse than death.

How wrong was I, its was awesome, loved it, so much so went out and bought their CD.

Very entertaining, enjoyable, outside venue at Trafford park and my god it was sunny and hot.

Brilliant

I'm glad you went. Like you ... I went to a concert of theirs reluctantly - the comeback one - The Ultimate Tour - and they were fabulous. The next tour ... Beautiful World was even better. And what can I say about The Circus ... well ... I doubt they'll ever better it. I'll still be going to their concerts (although I wish it was just the four of them) no matter how I feel about Gary Barlow. People say that Take That is just Gary Barlow and his backing dancers ... well ... they've not been to a Take That concert. All four of them work their arses off to give one of the best shows in entertainment today.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

:eek::eek: Anyway as for egos I think Bono's and my Economics lecturer's egos are probably bigger. I never really liked Take That much anyway.
  • Rikki65Rikki65 Posts: 8,449
    Forum Member
    Gary was and is my favourite Take Thater. Even if he had a big ego, which he hasn't, he is darn well entitled to it with his talent.
  • Rikki65Rikki65 Posts: 8,449
    Forum Member
    History? She released her last studio album in late 2008, a greatest hits in late 2009 and her next studio album is expected this autumn. She is also very capable of singing live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hFeuSc-tHo) and Take That have been known to mime also, so that a very "pot kettle black" line of argument.

Britney's last high-profile relationship was with Justin Timberlake (it ended in 2002) and her marriage to Kevin Federline ended in 2006. Hardly famous NOW for her love life, is she? And I find it very hard to believe that Joe Public think of her relationships over such classics as "...Baby One More Time", "Oops!...I Did It Again", "Toxic", "Everytime" and "Womanizer" when they her the name 'Britney Spears'

Britney has had a hard time too, but I suppose she doesn't deserve a second chance... :rolleyes:

Britney self-destructed, any hard time she had was self-inflicted. Gary's wasn't.
    Forum Member
    Rikki65 wrote: »
    Britney self-destructed, any hard time she had was self-inflicted. Gary's wasn't.

Various mental health issues, such as bipolar, are self-inflicted? Well I never :rolleyes:
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps some of the posters should refer to Gary's autobiography. He admits himself that his ego was pretty big towards the end of Take That first time around and it was this clash of egos between Rob and himself that caused so much friction that ended up lasting for years. Gary went in to depression and put on loads of weight when he realised that he was almost being demonised within the music business because of what poison was coming out of Williams's mouth at the time.
    He wrote for other people but the execs were so panicky that people would find out it was Barlow that had written stuff, that they refused to use it or got him to write under a false name. Now I know some people have far worse things to worry about, but with someone like Gary whose career was in the music business - to suddenly have so many people against you or embarrassed to be around you or associated with you in your job must have been quite horrible. Robbie has recently been given a bit of that medicine to taste himself (ever since the risible Rudebox album) so he will have some idea now of how Gary felt at the time.
    I think if anyone deserves to have his ego re-installed, all nicely polished and sparkling it's Mr Barlow. I love him. I think he is an all round decent egg and after having read about his awful time back in Rob's glory days, I am now a firm believer in karma.
  • GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member

You can "roll your eyes" all you want Britney-fan. She's only famous for her private life not her singing. Yes she WAS huge when she hit the big time at 16 or whatever.

Take That's comeback was far more successful and their tours are still huge sellouts.

Toxic was the last decent song she did. Can't remember anything after that. Oh yes I do - an awful "performance" she did on X-Factor after a huge build up!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    I can't see the poin t of any pop star/group?

But I do like me some Brit :-)
    Forum Member
    You can "roll your eyes" all you want Britney-fan. She's only famous for her private life not her singing. Yes she WAS huge when she hit the big time at 16 or whatever.

Take That's comeback was far more successful and their tours are still huge sellouts.

Toxic was the last decent song she did. Can't remember anything after that. Oh yes I do - an awful "performance" she did on X-Factor after a huge build up!

So because the last song of hers that YOU liked was Toxic, that means that she's a flop and that her career is over? Regardless of the fact that she has won numerous awards since then, including another Grammy?

How objective. Not.

Britney's last tour (2009) grossed $131.8 million and, as I said, Britney has sold 90.5 million albums - how are Take That more successful? That is a truly baffling line of argument! :confused:
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rikki65 wrote: »
    Britney self-destructed, any hard time she had was self-inflicted.

Who are you, her psychiatrist? Self-inflicted? What, you think she just woke up one morning and thought "I know, I think I'll self destruct today"?
    Forum Member
    So because the last song of hers that YOU liked was Toxic, that means that she's a flop and that her career is over? Regardless of the fact that she has won numerous awards since then, including another Grammy?

Please don't mention the old Grammy chestnut. Just because the award is American don't mean it's worth anything more than a Brit Award. Besides ... Milli Vanilli won a few Grammies - check out their history. Clue: They did a lot of miming!
    Forum Member
    Please don't mention the old Grammy chestnut. Just because the award is American don't mean it's worth anything more than a Brit Award. Besides ... Milli Vanilli won a few Grammies - check out their history. Clue: They did a lot of miming!

It's nothing to do with the nationality of the award, it's just that it has the highest status internationally.

Music - Grammy Award - American
    Film - Academy Award - American
    Television - Rose d'Or Award - Swiss

The Brit awards are not credible and/or notable on an international scale.
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    Ego? I think you have the wrong take That member there - and I agree with him anyway, Britney Spears can't sing without the aid of a voice distorter, and doesn't write her songs. She is way past it.

really?

dont think so ;)

Britney is an Icon, she will be around for many years to come love her or hate her people always want to know what she is getting up to.:p

And Of Course theres the Glee Tribute Episode which looks fantastic :D
    Forum Member
    It's nothing to do with the nationality of the award, it's just that it has the highest status internationally.

Music - Grammy Award - American
    Film - Academy Award - American
    Television - Rose d'Or Award - Swiss

The Brit awards are not credible and/or notable on an international scale.

She mimes 100% of the time. Hey ... not knocking it ... she can make millions out of it. Some people like to pay good money to see someone mime and dance badly. I actually like the voice I hear on some of the songs - especially Toxic and HMBOMT - but I doubt whether its the pretty blond thing you see on the album cover singing it.

By the way ... the Grammies are not credible any more either. No awards are!