The Saturdays - I don't understand

TewingirlTewingirl Posts: 2,567
Forum Member
✭✭✭
You see them all the time in the papers as a group or individually, there is so much written about them, they are always on the TV, but does anyone actually know their records or rate them? I couldn't identify one track and don't think they stand out particularly.

They seem to be a media construct that has partly succeeded because of all the press they have.

Or am I just out of the loop?

Comments

• EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    Yup I could identify plenty of their tracks. They have had 7 top 10 hits with their next single already doing well weeks ahead of release.
  • 80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    I agree with the OP. they are not the next Girls Aloud or Spice Girls.

are they good?? I'm undecided
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP. Unlike other girl groups like Girls Aloud, Sugababes and the Spice Girls, The Saturdays have made no impression or impact on me whatsoever. I can barely think of any of their songs, offhand, because they all pretty much sound the same to me, apart from "Up" which is the only song that made an impression as I think it's really catchy. The rest is all "in one ear and out the other to me". Also, unlike the aforementioned Girls Aloud, Sugababes and Spice Girls I couldn't name you all the group members. I just find the group and their music incredibly bland and generic.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is most girl groups gain recognition with music and then start to be seen everywhere.

The Saturdays on the other hand are seen everywhere despite not actually having much success. Yes, they've had a few top 10 hits, but nothing to write home about, given the amount of money spent on promoting them
  • northernslayernorthernslayer Posts: 3,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always think of the same words as everyone else when someone mentions them. Bland, generic, boring.. i wish they would stop trying to make them happen, they are photographed and put into papers just buying coffee :confused: I saw them perform live once (support act), so horendous I went to the loo.
  • Lou17Lou17 Posts: 30,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tewingirl wrote: »
    You see them all the time in the papers as a group or individually, there is so much written about them, they are always on the TV, but does anyone actually know their records or rate them? I couldn't identify one track and don't think they stand out particularly.

They seem to be a media construct that has partly succeeded because of all the press they have.

Or am I just out of the loop?

I'm the same, I don't understand this hype around them?????:confused:

Their music is mediocre, their music videos aren't exactly played regularly. It just seems like Lazy journalism, a bunch of girls that like to be papped and are easy to cover? I just think being 5 young girls that are attractive is their appeal to the papers. Now their dating within the industry they seem even more relevent??? I just don't get it:sleep:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they're very good. They've had few hits and none were particularly memorable.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,892
    Forum Member
    I'm a fan of the saturdays, but looking at it objectively, I agree with the comments made so far. They need a hit...most groups/singers have at least one big hit by their 3rd album...and the saturdays haven't had that. I'm beginning to wonder if it's ever going to happen...
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are crap.

Their music is awful.and they are poor singers.
    They are typical girl/boy band fodder put together on their looks rather than any genuine musical talent.

Unfortunately many stupid people buy into this garbage. .
  • Huffy1968Huffy1968 Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Compared to a lot of other girl groups, they do feel to me to be also-rans. Perhaps there isn't enough room in the market for them, I don't know. Maybe there is girl group fatigue going around?
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,751
    Forum Member
    Weren't they managed by they paps bloke who looks like a parrot...calling in old favours?

Females don't give a damm about a groups musical ability, their first thought is if they look cute or have lovely hair, outfits etc.

In their unreal ITV2 programme they flew to LA to be met by a flannex of photographers...who are they kidding?

Is there no senior exec at ITV questioning how a little known group in the UK attracts so much attention in far away LA?

Max Clifford showed in 'Louie Meets....' photographers could be persuade to turn up at his local supermarket to watch him do his shopping.
  • TewingirlTewingirl Posts: 2,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always think of the same words as everyone else when someone mentions them. Bland, generic, boring.. i wish they would stop trying to make them happen, they are photographed and put into papers just buying coffee :confused: I saw them perform live once (support act), so horendous I went to the loo.

Aaah, glad I'm not the only one. They must have Biffa Tweedy's agent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Weren't they managed by they paps bloke who looks like a parrot...calling in old favours?

Females don't give a damm about a groups musical ability, their first thought is if they look cute or have lovely hair, outfits etc.

In their unreal ITV2 programme they flew to LA to be met by a flannex of photographers...who are they kidding?

Is there no senior exec at ITV questioning how a little known group in the UK attracts so much attention in far away LA?

Max Clifford showed in 'Louie Meets....' photographers could be persuade to turn up at his local supermarket to watch him do his shopping.

They were managed by a woman called Jayne sometihngorother, but she got sacked and they're now managed by Peter Loraine
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tewingirl wrote: »
    Aaah, glad I'm not the only one. They must have Biffa Tweedy's agent.

They do share the same PR as Cheryl and Girls Aloud, yes.
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can name maybe three of their tracks. In the absence of any other big girl band, I think the media have latched on. They're never out of the DM.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the above. I know a couple of their songs and they're ok but don't get what they've done to get the attention of the media (especially the DM).

Their live vocals at the Concert For Heroes were bloody awful.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's common for girl groups to only have one good singer. Atleast the Pussycat Dolls didn't pretend that all of them could sing. With Girls Aloud, I would say that only Nadine has a tolerable voice. Cheryl could battle with Ke$ha for use of auto-tune, Nicola... barely ever sings and Sarah just shouts.
    Oh, I just forgot about Kimberly as I wrote this, shows the impact she had.

I don't really like The Saturdays, I think they're a bit typical. They look like a group of hairdressers that you would see auditioning on The X Factor.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the saturdays, but looking at it objectively, I agree with the comments made so far. They need a hit...most groups/singers have at least one big hit by their 3rd album...and the saturdays haven't had that. I'm beginning to wonder if it's ever going to happen...

They need a No 1 single really (even though No 2's not too bad, but I think Up should have been No 1). It'll be interesting to see how well Higher does when it comes out.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 82,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need a No 1 single really (even though No 2's not too bad, but I think Up should have been No 1). It'll be interesting to see how well Higher does when it comes out.

Number 22 and counting, and that's as much as 5 weeks ahead of schedule!! (You probably already know this CNBCwatcher, but I am mentioning it here for the benefit of people who are underestimating the Saturdays' success).
  • luvandlifeluvandlife Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They suck. That's all I can give them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Compared to Girls Aloud they are The Supremes
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amateurish.

A bunch of pretty but unremarkable girls that you could barely put a name to the face of.

They look like an act that would take part in a Butlins talent competition.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    They look like an act that would take part in a Butlins talent competition.

This.

And I'm sure the vast amount of press about them is due to a huge amount of PR money being thrown around rather than any genuine interest in them.

I mean, they're not horrible. Harmless, hen-night fare. But still, not much to write home about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    They are crap.

Their music is awful.and they are poor singers.
    They are typical girl/boy band fodder put together on their looks rather than any genuine musical talent.

Unfortunately many stupid people buy into this garbage. .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0znVBrsZnnQ
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the Saturdays acceptable in terms of their music - I enjoyed their Chasing Lights album - but the media hysteria which has come to surround them is ridiculous and I started a similar thread wondering how it's all come about. It seems it's as a result of their new management. I think their PR is far too excessive and aggresive and I'm surprised there isn't a backlash yet. They're so over-exposed now, and there's no real reason for them to be. Their music is decent enough and inoffensive, and they're attractive girls who seem nice (if bland) but there isn't anything there which actually justifies the way their PR people are force-feeding them to the public and press.