Carrie Fisher claims that John Travolta is gay

Comments

• j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    It isn't really her place to say anything. However, it has to be the worst kept "secret" ever.

It's none of our business, but it does annoy me when people pretend to be straight, especially if they know they're gay and choose to get married and have kids - incredibly selfish. I suppose if Kelly knew before they got married, then that would be different.

Half of the bloomin guys in showbiz are gay, so I'm not really sure why he feels the need to hide it. His belief in the farce that is Scientology certainly won't have helped his feelings of shame on the matter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah youre right, although scientology is a strage one, everything is good and bad. Its all about making thigs better for yourself. There are many other simple things that are easier being gay. Its only 1 point isnt it? I think most every day things are the same. Anyway they changed the rules and I cant remember,

What I can remember though and I swear this on all of my families lives is that when I went to NY and met up with a guy who introduced me to his friends said they knew he was gay it was soooo boring and old news and he was a hustler (like a rent boy) when he was younger. They were even bored when I looked shocked and said everyone knew it.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I think Carrie is promoting a new film or show or something. Great way to get headlines talking about John and his sexuality. Also hasn't Carrie a drug and alcohol problem so perhaps she was not thinking when she opened her mouth!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    I have no problem with outing celebrities like John Travolta when they are part of, and promote, a religion that is actively homophobic.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see what its got to do with anyone else if he's gay or not, maybe he's bi, does it really matter though, aslong as he is happy with his life then that's all that matters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    I don't see what its got to do with anyone else if he's gay or not, maybe he's bi, does it really matter though, aslong as he is happy with his life then that's all that matters.

On the whole it is better if famous and influential people don't tell a lot of massive lies. If nothing else, it confirms in the minds of gay teenagers in religious families that their inclinations are a source of shame. I think young people in the US need as many positive gay role models as they can get.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This whole Scientology thing is bonkers. I think his devotion to the cause is disturbing, to put it mildly.

These rumours have been going about for years, but until John T confirms it himself - highly unlikely given his religious inclination - then the whispers are just going to run and run.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the whole it is better if famous and influential people don't tell a lot of massive lies. If nothing else, it confirms in the minds of gay teenagers in religious families that their inclinations are a source of shame. I think young people in the US need as many positive gay role models as they can get.

But who's to say he is actually gay, if he's bi then it's perfectly understandable that he lives with a woman, if like everyone else is saying he's gay but won't come out because of his religion then surely he wouldn't be doing anything with any men anyway, it would be a bit pointless denying your gay if you still get it on with men. I don't think anyone should live their life for other people only for themselves whether their famous or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like Carrie will not be recieving a Christmas card from John. :p

Rumours & stories have always surounded John about his sexuality. I believe he is at least bisexual but who cares? He seems happy enough, he had another baby and his wife seems happy. Besides, he doesn't need friends outing him like that in interviews.
  • LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think hes bisexual, but like some have said it sticks in my throat that his religion he adheres too dosent allow him to be himself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    dgjbear wrote: »
    I have no problem with outing celebrities like John Travolta when they are part of, and promote, a religion that is actively homophobic.

YOU ARE 100% RIGHT. HE IS A HYPOCRITE. IF HE DIDNT
    PROMOTE SCIENTOLOGY IT WOULD BE A DIFFERENT MATTER
  • xRHBxxRHBx Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I don't really care either way, but I can't count the number of times I've seen "common knowledge" gossip, that everyone just accepts to be true, turn out to be absolute rubbish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a gay person I have never understood the need for other people to force those who haven't come out to do so, at the end of the day it is a private issue and some people find it easier than others. So many things come into play. For me I was lucky that my mum supported me, my dad didn't speak to me for 2 years! I agree that pretending to be something you're not is unhelpful but keeping quiet or speaking out should be left to the individual concerned. If it is true and he and his wife are happy then its their business and thers alone. She needs to direct her bitterness into promoting her show instead of dragging other people's lives into the matter.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nheaney wrote: »
    YOU ARE 100% RIGHT. HE IS A HYPOCRITE. IF HE DIDNT
    PROMOTE SCIENTOLOGY IT WOULD BE A DIFFERENT MATTER

So if he were Aglican, Catholic or Muslim it would be ok ? none of those are particularly welcoming of homosexuality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that pretending to be something you're not is unhelpful but keeping quiet or speaking out should be left to the individual concerned. If it is true and he and his wife are happy then its their business and thers alone. .

I agree that I am not a fan of forcible outing, except perhaps for politicians, who are expected to be honest about their private lives. And of course even if JT has history, it doesn't follow that he is at all gay now. Not sure what Carrie Fisher is playing at really.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    The OP's thread title, and some FMs comments, are, I think, borne of a slight misinterpretation of the actual course of events.

Carrie, while talking to a gay/lesbian periodical, was asked about Travolta being "outed" in the National Enquirer et al in comments made by interior designer Robert Randolph.

Quizzed as to whether she thought Travolta ought to sue over such comments she gave an opinion that most of us here would likely have, in that it is widely assumed that he is at least Bisexual, nobody really thinks it's a big deal (tabloids and other licensed bigots aside!), and making a big fuss about such allegations gives them more prominence and more "currency" in the gossip market.

She didn't "out" him or "claim" that he is gay, she said that, from her perspective she assumed such and it was of little importance.

Of course she should, perhaps, have remembered the caveat that applies when you "assume" :D
  • MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each to their own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »
    Carrie, while talking to a gay/lesbian periodical, was asked about Travolta being "outed" in the National Enquirer et al in comments made by interior designer Robert Randolph.

" :D

Thanks for the clarification.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how Mr Scientology is going to handle this :eek:

With the power of Scientology. :cool:
  • markymidsmarkymids Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care if he is, I would not ride the man.
  • MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    In other news, Carrie Fisher announces that she sky is blue.
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a shock.

Next she'll be saying so is Simon Cowell. :eek:
  • MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    Mrs BBV wrote: »
    What a shock.

Next she'll be saying so is Simon Cowell. :eek:

NEVER!!!!

He is still blissfully in love with Sinitta (17)
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never understood the need for other people to force those who haven't come out to do so

When people very publicly campaign against it, I think it's fine to expose their hypocrisy. However, as far as I know Travolta doesn't fall into that category. His religion may be against it, but the same is true of most major religions. I think that's too indirect to hold against him personally.