A glamorous British soap - would it work?

2»

Comments

• Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the second version of the revamped Crossroads go all Americana glamorous?? didn't really work.

It all turned out to be a dream by Jane Asher, who turned out to be a supermarket check-out worker (but dreamt that she was a rich bitch):D
  • CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    They're only remaking the miniseries though, not the 22 episode 1986 series which is a shame.

The production company have said that if the miniseries is successful, there may be more episodes so fingers crossed.

http://www.mcelroyallmedia.com.au/index.php?page=return-to-eden-q-a

Aside from the revamped Crossroads, Emmerdale has veered in and out of glamour soap territory over the years mainly around whichever family was living in Home Farm at the time. I think the Tate era may have been the most glamorous period with superbitch Kim as head of the family.

While people are arguing about whether TOWIE and Made in Chelsea are soaps or not, they are definitely the closest thing that we'll get to scripted glamour dramas these days purely because they are so much cheaper to make than scripted dramas. I don't know if those types of shows will ever replace scripted soaps full time but in these days of cost cutting on TV, they are certainly going to be sticking around for now.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found that 'glamorous' soaps often have to have the 'gritty' side to them too: Whether it be Crossroads, Sunset Beach, Sons & Duaghters etc. They all had the RICH side - but had to show the other side of it too.
    A Truly glamorous soap would be hard to make...it would need a balance of some kind. Or it would get very dreadfully boring wouldn't it old chap? ;)

A modern day Upstairs Downstairs in a soapy format or something along those lines might work
  • NoWireHangersNoWireHangers Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    I don't think glamour shows work anymore. They had that series about a fictional royal family and it flopped.

What are you basing this on?
    Revenge has just been very successful in the US and has done quite well for e4.
    Dallas has been revived and scored nice ratings for TNT.
    The Bold and The Beautiful remains the worlds most popular soap, around 25 million viewers across the globe.
    footballers Wives in the early days did very well for itv.
    It could be argued that Downton Abbey is very glamorous (although yes, they do also focus on the servants etc) and look how successful that is.

It's scripts, characterisation and stories that make a show not the type of show it is (I.e. glamorous)
  • NoWireHangersNoWireHangers Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've found that 'glamorous' soaps often have to have the 'gritty' side to them too: Whether it be Crossroads, Sunset Beach, Sons & Duaghters etc. They all had the RICH side - but had to show the other side of it too.
    A Truly glamorous soap would be hard to make...it would need a balance of some kind. Or it would get very dreadfully boring wouldn't it old chap? ;)

Who were the gritty side of sunset beach? Apart from Virginia and Michael; but even they escaped the hood and lived in a nice house by the beach. Oh and Tiffany the runaway tramp, but even she ended up getting with rich kid Sean Richards and living in the big house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you basing this on?
    Revenge has just been very successful in the US and has done quite well for e4.
    Dallas has been revived and scored nice ratings for TNT.
    The Bold and The Beautiful remains the worlds most popular soap, around 25 million viewers across the globe.
    footballers Wives in the early days did very well for itv.
    It could be argued that Downton Abbey is very glamorous (although yes, they do also focus on the servants etc) and look how successful that is.

It's scripts, characterisation and stories that make a show not the type of show it is (I.e. glamorous)

Revenge and Dallas have seen some success in he US, but not in the UK. Even TBATB didnt succeed in the UK, even with Channel Five pushing it several times.

Footballers wives iirc didnt rate that well in its first series, and only rated average after. However, it attracted quite a young demo, which was attractive to advertisrs and got the press on side.

Downton Abbey just builds on the history of UK tv, and the success of costume dramas.

Wasnt the original idea for Eldorado more upper middle class, but the BBC changed it, as they believed that the audience would not be interested in this.

Also didnt Thames make a drama in the late 80s that was quite soapy and based on he lives of rich traders (called something like Capital City? )
  • NathanTNathanT Posts: 1,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the second version of the revamped Crossroads go all Americana glamorous?? didn't really work.

IMO the third (and final) take on Crossroads didn't work because it was too camp, OTT and plain silly on occasion.

Amercia know how to do soaps about the rich and wealthy - on a budget - and without veering into ludicrousness - look no further than The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful for examples. I maintain that both could become successful in the UK if a mainstream channel ever gave them a chance to air and build up a following.

Maybe a UK version of Y&R set in Cheshire or of B&B set in Essex for example could work if done properly?

There were a few attempts at upper middle class soaps in the early 90s - Families, Castles, Revelations - which had varying degrees of success, but ultimately all failed to last.

Not sure if a prime time regular 'glamour' soap would work all year round in the current climate - at a pinch, it might find a place in the daytime schedule, but I doubt any channel would be willing to invest in what would be a risky and costly project.
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would fail, this country prefers working class dramas.
    Elderado failed
  • Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to suggest Home Farm in Emmerdale. Though it would be quite good to have a couple more "posh" families in it! (Oakfield Hall must be due a return by now!)

Downton Abbey is more a "period" drama, even though it's only 80 years ago, and therefore in the living memory of quite a few people. As much as I like it, it wouldn't work as a soap, there wouldnt be enough "daily" scandal to play with, and it would cost billions to produce!
  • Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to suggest Home Farm in Emmerdale. Though it would be quite good to have a couple more "posh" families in it! (Oakfield Hall must be due a return by now!)

Downton Abbey is more a "period" drama, even though it's only 80 years ago, and therefore in the living memory of quite a few people. As much as I like it, it wouldn't work as a soap, there wouldnt be enough "daily" scandal to play with, and it would cost billions to produce!
  • Lewis26Lewis26 Posts: 1,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would work provided there was a mix. I would love a soap to have rich people working / living alongside a working class area. You get the best of both worlds and there would be plenty of potential for storylines.

The problem with glamorous soaps is they tend to be too weird / unrealistic. If you were going for all out outrageous fair enough but for a soap to work in the uk it would have to have some sort of realism