Options

Could Songs of Praise ever be axed?

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    People who had never been to church before, suddenly went to church because Songs of Praise came from their town's church one day just so they would appear on TV.

Then they never went to church after.

I thought the church was filled mainly be people from the congregations of nearby churches though there will be a small number of ones as you describe. The last thing they want is to have the church full of people looking at the cameras but not joining in the hymns and with no idea of what to do during the service.
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

12 May 1990
    BBC1
    09:15 Making Sense .... of God
    17:40 Praise Be
    22:30 Everyman
    ITV
    11:00 Morning Worship

I thought ITV kept the evening 'godslot' until around 1992?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMR wrote: »

I just picked random dates about ten years apart, have a check in the newspaper archives as that is the best way to find out.
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who had never been to church before, suddenly went to church because Songs of Praise came from their town's church one day just so they would appear on TV.

I seem to remember a show having people doing exactly that- possibly the vicar of dibley
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMR wrote: »

I think 'Highway' continued for a while after 1992, albeit in an earlier afternoon slot. This was then replaced by 'Sunday Morning with Secombe' where Harry would introduce Highway-like features either side of 'Morning Worship'. Secombe was eventually removed from the programme and replaced by Gloria Hunniford. Secombe became a 'Songs of Praise' presenter not long afterwards, but, if my memory serves me correctly, he didn't sing solos anywhere near as often on there as on 'Highway'.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    I think 'Highway' continued for a while after 1992, albeit in an earlier afternoon slot. This was then replaced by 'Sunday Morning with Secombe' where Harry would introduce Highway-like features either side of 'Morning Worship'. Secombe was eventually removed from the programme and replaced by Gloria Hunniford. Secombe became a 'Songs of Praise' presenter not long afterwards, but, if my memory serves me correctly, he didn't sing solos anywhere near as often on there as on 'Highway'.

Harry Secombe was very much the highwayman.

Highway must have been the only programme on ITV that had an ident at the start "ITV Presents"
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

Highway must have been the only programme on ITV that had an ident at the start "ITV Presents"

And, of course, he mimed to all of his "solos", imagine the Daily Mail getting hold of that!:D
  • Options
    RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Countryfile gets good ratings which is why it moved from daytime only to prime time a few years back.

I reckon Songs Of Praise must get pretty good ratings too or they'd probably just move it to a Sunday daytime slot or maybe BBC2.

I must say I am surprised Songs Of Praise hasn't been switched to BBC2. Unlike the likes of Countryfile and The Antiques Roadshow which potentially could have mass appeal for all, surely it is only ever going to be enjoyed by those of the Christian faith?

BBC1,ITV and Channel 5 should be strictly non-religious and therefore for all in my opinion. To me it just seems that BBC2 and Channel 4 should be the home for PSB Religious programming as channels that should be showing programmes for minority interests (which generally these days they are).

* I agree Songs Of Praise's time slot should not be messed around with btw. For believers who can't get out to Church, I guess they'd still want to worship at a regular time each week!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    If Im not mistaken, it took a change in the law to get those channels launched! Pioneered by 'God' channel founders who I beleve are Rory and Wendy. My point anyway is that if they took that to get them launched, it would take a lot to take them off air again!

I know, but there's so many of them, all preaching the same old rubbish or offering salvation by credit card or other such nonsense. It's ridiculous.

My mum told me that I used to like listening to Harry Secombe when I was a kid, but I don't remember listening to or watching him :o Maybe I was only a toddler at the time.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The reason for 'ITV Presents' was because the actual production company was whichever ITV region the programme was coming from on that particular week.

As for the person who says 'Songs of Praise' only appeals to religious people, I don't necessarily believe that.

Sir Harry Secombe didn't claim to be some holier-than-thou type. He always said that the appeal of Highway was that it was half an hour in which you could tune in and know there would be no violence, no bad language, and lots of interesting people. Songs of Praise has a similar appeal.

For example, I have no idea how religious one of the Songs of Praise presenters, Bill Turnbull really is. Even Dame Thora Hird, though very much a Christian, would entertain the staff on the programmes she worked on with filthy jokes!
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know, but there's so many of them, all preaching the same old rubbish or offering salvation by credit card or other such nonsense. It's ridiculous.

I dont think they all do that all the time, yes they beg for money sure, but its not just about that!

I dont agree with the begging for money and I think the channels have got a bad reputation as a result of it!

I think if they stopped then more people would start to take them seriously
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I dont think they all do that all the time, yes they beg for money sure, but its not just about that!

I dont agree with the begging for money and I think the channels have got a bad reputation as a result of it!

I think if they stopped then more people would start to take them seriously

The ones I've seen beg for money. That's why I often refer to them as "praise the Lord and pass the money" channels!
  • Options
    randy toksvigrandy toksvig Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    I hear that Songs of Praise is to have a new format from this week due to a drop in viewers. To include more faiths there will be 7 venues featured each week. I feel that an attempt for the programme to suit more people may end up suiting none at all.

To me the key to the show in the past was that the viewer could sing along with the congregations even if you did not have a strong interest in religion. As more and more soloists have been used this has become more difficult.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    No, but there might be a children in need special called "songs of anti priase" that sees them singing metallic satanic numbers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, but there might be a children in need special called "songs of anti priase" that sees them singing metallic satanic numbers.

I'd watch that :D
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear that Songs of Praise is to have a new format from this week due to a drop in viewers. To include more faiths there will be 7 venues featured each week. I feel that an attempt for the programme to suit more people may end up suiting none at all.

To me the key to the show in the past was that the viewer could sing along with the congregations even if you did not have a strong interest in religion. As more and more soloists have been used this has become more difficult.

The issues I read it faces are the average age of viewers is mid 70's. To attract the next generation it has to be less CofE and encompass more Roman Catholics, Pentecostal churches (which I understand have more minority worshippers).

This after moving Sunday Half Hour to 6am and reducing Good Morning Sunday.
    I know that over 75's get a free licence. But that represents 4.5m people. Many isolated from family, and with health issues. As a PSB the BBC should serve even those who by age do not pay the LF not abandon them.

Maybe we need another religious programme aimed at younger audience (say 50 ish) not just alter Songs of Praise because its audience are mid 70's.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thought immidiately of Not the Nine O'Clock News when I read that. :D
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Songs Of Praise sounds like a perfect niche content for BBC4.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or as a PSB programme on a PSB Service providers main channel even better.
  • Options
    RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BBC2 seems a more likely destination, as an alternative to the more mainstream programming of BBC1 (and something I feel should happen, see my previous post). However BBC4 is surely a bit too niche for this type of programming, especially as that channel these days is moving towards more Art based programming (is BBC Arts coming?).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rijowhite wrote: »
    BBC2 seems a more likely destination, as an alternative to the more mainstream programming of BBC1 (and something I feel should happen, see my previous post). However BBC4 is surely a bit too niche for this type of programming, especially as that channel these days is moving towards more Art based programming (is BBC Arts coming?).

Perhaps they should have an hour long version, aimed at younger people, at 20:00h on a Sunday evening on BBC3.

The main should continue at its present time on BBC1.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will it EVER be axed sonetime I guess it will be, but I doubt for this generation.
  • Options
    randy toksvigrandy toksvig Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    The issues I read it faces are the average age of viewers is mid 70's. To attract the next generation it has to be less CofE and encompass more Roman Catholics, Pentecostal churches (which I understand have more minority worshippers).

This after moving Sunday Half Hour to 6am and reducing Good Morning Sunday.
    I know that over 75's get a free licence. But that represents 4.5m people. Many isolated from family, and with health issues. As a PSB the BBC should serve even those who by age do not pay the LF not abandon them.

Maybe we need another religious programme aimed at younger audience (say 50 ish) not just alter Songs of Praise because its audience are mid 70's.

Some excellent comments. If they make sweeping changes they will lose as many people as they gain. My mother used to love Sunday Half Hour, Songs of Praise and Morning Worship but the older generation who love the traditional hymns are being abandoned. ITV have given up, Radio 2 have moved their show to 6am and filled it with modern songs and Songs of Praise is going the same way. Whilst nobody would argue against modern songs being featured, they are just not striking the right balance.
  • Options
    DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,265
    Forum Member
    If it's viewing figures are low enough, it'll be axed. It's all about viewing figures.

Apparently it gets reasonably high viewing figures though, so it won't be off air for a while yet.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrblank wrote: »
    the BBC under the terms of its charter have an oligation to show a songs of praise type programme one the BBC showed a church service on sundays morning to

Is it definatly the case that the BBC are required to show a certain amount of religious programming? :confused:
    Didn't BBC used to have learn French and German language shows?

And yes SoP is earlier I am sure. IMO it should always be post 5.30 and as much as possible after any live sport on BBC2. Yesterday was nice for parents, they saw The Athletics (my mum likes) and then together saw Songs of Praise.
    lundavra wrote: »
    There used to a range of language programmes aimed at the mainstream audience, as well as those for schools.

I wonder if they were dropped because of pressure of lobbying from language schools?

AFAIK schools programmes were never shown on Sunday morings.

I remember the various programmes that taught various languages though. The start of Sunday mornings was always dedicated to asians with 'Nai Zindagi, Naya Jeevan'. Translated, this meant "New Life, New Way'.

I assume that this was aimed at asians coming to Britain, to help them assimilate into the British way if life- it's a pity it was discontinued as so many have a problem doing this over 30 years later.

I can imagine that happening a lot. Believe me, churchgoers can be just as selfish, false and materialistic as anybody else.

The trouble with that idea, is that BBC4 doesn't open until 7pm, which may be a little late for people.

As a child, I once asked why we have SOP, when churchgoers should/would be in church anyway! I was told that the programme was aimed at those unable to get to church eg through age or disability.