Ways to overcome anxiety and boost self confidence

NoWireHangersNoWireHangers Posts: 909
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello all

It seems to happen every now and again that my self esteem takes a plunge and I start getting anxious about things; reliving the rotten things from the past and worrying about things that **might** happen in the future, all in all not being 'present' I guess.

The anxiety I am sure is a product of my self confidence issues at this time.

Has anyone else struggled like this? What did you do? I was thinking of hypnotherapy. Some suggested therapy but I feel I neither have the time to spend months talking to someone or more importantly the money, so hypnotherapy felt like a more direct route to solving the problem.

Another thing I was thinking and it might seem a little out there was trying to learn Transcendental Meditation, I have read a lot about it and recently attended a free introductory talk and it does seem quite fascinating.

Interested to know what people think of those methods and of course any tips that you think might help.

Thanks

Comments

• thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt/and still do feel this way from time to time and have recently taking up exercise, I'm not even talking about going to class, although I do go to Zumba, just going for a long walk is enough it's amazing the difference that has occurred to my mind set, of course I still worry about things which I feel are important - like employment, family & friends but I feel much more able to cope with it all. I wasn't a big believer in exercise and the power it had but I would recommend it.

I hope whatever you decide works for you, low self esteem is never easy to deal with :) Take Care.
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you find talking helps? If so you could either try with someone you know/trust, or you could see someone professional (a counsellor, or CBT therapist, or whatever works for you). Personally I find getting to the 'root' of my anxieties really helps me - but that's because I'm quite an analytical person and once I find the key I start to feel more confident about moving forwards.

Sorry - I've just re-read your post and you've said you don't have time to do this. I'm not sure there are any quick fixes though - you may find other routes require quite an investment of time too. For me when I first saw a counsellor, I felt like skipping out of the session. There was this massive sense of relief and lightness. It didn't solve my problems right away of course but just telling someone improved my mental wellbeing beyond belief.

For others it can just be distraction - e.g. making sure you're kept busy and don't have time to dwell. Or diet and exercise. Getting outside in the fresh air is often good. Or perhaps finding fulfillment in your life generally - e.g. if you're single then trying online dating, or if you're unhappy at work then perhaps finding another job, etc. These factors can be affecting your self esteem and so instead of tackling your self esteem itself perhaps tackling a contributing factor can be easier/quicker.

There are plenty of other 'therapy' type things around though - I have no experience of hypnotherapy so I can't comment on that specifically. There are also things like mindfulness, yoga and so on. But I think these will require some ongoing sessions/time/money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've struggled with this for most of my life, but found it gets easier as I've got older.

I reckon being a Christian helps, as the Bible gives me a clear sense of my identity in Christ.

Having something to do that enhances your self-worth helps too; not necessarily work, but a hobby, or volunteering. Something that's objectively "useful".

I found I wasn't able to be hypnotised - whether that was me or the hypnotherapist I'm not sure. I just found it boring and rather irritating, but others may well have had more positive experiences.

Exercise definitely helps, and diet can make a big difference too. Caffeine is best avoided, not just in coffee but tea, coke and even chocolate can make me more edgy. Bananas are great for energy, and turkey and potatoes are a great source of tryptophan, which acts on your seratonin levels. Camomile tea makes you more chilled and can help with sleep.

Don't discount the idea of medication either. It can be hard to acknowledge a need for antidepressents, but they can make a great difference if it's your brain chemicals out of whack.

Hope some of this is useful, and you feel better soon.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,373
    Forum Member
    I'd suggest looking through the Overcoming range of self help materials here http://www.overcoming.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=4795 and there's even one on low self esteem: http://www.overcoming.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=4795

In addition, you could also look at using Google to look for tips on improving self esteem: http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?complete=0#bav=on.2,or.&complete=0&ei=H60LUue_Mqqg7AbLsICADw&fp=864851f6457b5f8a&q=tips+on+improving+self+esteem&sa=X&spell=1&ved=0CCgQvwUoAA