Comments

• Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlc2009 wrote: »
    is it bad that i want 30-50? :)

If I can get 800k/1meg/sec on 3g, Im hoping for a big increase

No but the chance of you getting that is pretty slim as Three only have 2x10MHz of 1800MHz so I would expect 25-35MB under normal conditions and 10-20MB on tethering.
  • Options
    mlc2009mlc2009 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    No but the chance of you getting that is pretty slim as Three only have 2x10MHz of 1800MHz so I would expect 25-35MB under normal conditions and 10-20MB on tethering.

The 2 speedtests in this thread show 30-50, do three downgrade the tethering speeds accordingly?
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly they deprioritise tethering during peak hours

Secondly some of those speeds are near the maximum total capacity of a cell sector, achievable only when there is nobody else using it. With 3 having some of the heaviest data users around and some attractive unlimited tariffs, the chances of that ever happening are pretty small.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    I meant FTTP not on demand there are going be some areas where BT will fit FTTP very limited though.

I'm not sure about FTTP on demand i'm only 75-80M away from my local cabinet so it should be under a thousand still a lot but I'm certainly considering it might boost market value when I sell house.

There's areas of Manchester that have FTTP now. There's areas of Chester that do too.

Openreach just announced a further 1700 new builds will get FTTP in the next year or so, they seem keen to roll it out to new builds certainly.
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CEO Dave Dyson said this morning that the 4G switch on for those with compatible phones will be complete by the end of Q1 2014 so it's 4 months at most for people in 4G areas.
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    japaul wrote: »
    CEO Dave Dyson said this morning that the 4G switch on for those with compatible phones will be complete by the end of Q1 2014 so it's 4 months at most for people in 4G areas.

I wonder if this will apply to those who have 4g enabled phones but don't live in a 4g area. I regularly travel in to areas which will have 4g first, and I wouldn't like it if others could have it and I couldn't whilst in those areas.
  • Options
    hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    I wonder if this will apply to those who have 4g enabled phones but don't live in a 4g area. I regularly travel in to areas which will have 4g first, and I wouldn't like it if others could have it and I couldn't whilst in those areas.

Hi

I live in Northern Ireland and wont be getting 4G until sometime in 2015. I do get to London now and again.

Can anyone shed any light if users in a non 4G area would still get the update or not?

Thanks

Baz
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it means everyone with a 4G device will have it enabled by the end of March so you just need to be within 4G coverage to use it.

The interview is here right at the end (last 5 minutes or so). He also talks about roaming and Feel at Home.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03k264b
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

So if i travel to the US now with my S4 will i be able to use their 4G service before the service in my own country?
  • Options
    denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, you can't as they won't have a 4G roaming agreement yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sor1706 wrote: »
    So if i travel to the US now with my S4 will i be able to use their 4G service before the service in my own country?

Just get a US sim (I got one from StraightTalk). Unlimited LTE on AT&T.
  • Options
    toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got 23mb on 3 3g this morning in Manchester City Centre, well on the border of Manc/Salford
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    Just get a US sim (I got one from StraightTalk). Unlimited LTE on AT&T.

Unlimited yes, but

*30 day Unlimited Plans include 2.5 GB of high speed data per 30 day cycle. After 2.5 GB, your data speed will be reduced for the remainder of the 30 day cycle. High speed data is restored once a new 30 day service plan is redeemed at the end of the 30 day plan cycle
  • Options
    bikerladbikerlad Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So first we thought 4g was live in London in Nov, then told it might be Jan when we can actually use it, now it's by End of March. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems they lost a bit of momentum. First the wifi app gets delayed by quite a bit and now 4G.
    I was hoping to have 4G in Newcastle by the beginning of the year (pretty sure I read Newcastle would be one of the next cities). Now I am not sure if they will add any other cities in Q1?! :cry:
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    japaul wrote: »
    I think it means everyone with a 4G device will have it enabled by the end of March so you just need to be within 4G coverage to use it.

The interview is here right at the end (last 5 minutes or so). He also talks about roaming and Feel at Home.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03k264b

Thanks for the link :) Fast forward to 26mins to hear Dyson interview. He did state there would be "No need to change Sim cards"

The staggerd rollout is still strange. Like a few FMs there will be no 4G where I live for a while but I will travel to 4G areas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    Unlimited yes, but

*30 day Unlimited Plans include 2.5 GB of high speed data per 30 day cycle. After 2.5 GB, your data speed will be reduced for the remainder of the 30 day cycle. High speed data is restored once a new 30 day service plan is redeemed at the end of the 30 day plan cycle

Well it was fine for me. 2.5GB is a lot to use on holiday! Anyway, I doubt AT&T would let roaming customers use the full speed of their network anyway.

For customers not on Three it's the only option really for the US other than paying an absolute fortune.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    So I've just had a look at the available networks on my phone, and I have:

3 (3G)
    Current network

3 (4G)
    Available network

3 (2G)
    Available network

I just tried to connect to the 4G network, but was unable to. It wasn't in the list yesterday when I checked.

I am in London, but my office isn't in a 4G area on the coverage checker - however, my house is. I'll see what the score is when I get home. If you don't need a sim update, then fingers crossed!

Of course, I'll probably end up waiting until January, but it's nice to dream!
  • Options
    Mr CableMr Cable Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone see this on (the admittedly often pro-3 Blog) 3g.co.uk?

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Dec2013/three-4g-coming-soon-in-4-towns-and-cities.html

They seem to have named Friday 13th (erk!)....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone tell me how I know I'll have received the update on iOS 7?

Also, does the 3 SIM card block access to APN settings on the iPhone, or should I be able to access them? (My 'Cellular Data Network' option has gone missing)
  • Options
    simps100simps100 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McTeagle wrote: »
    So I've just had a look at the available networks on my phone, and I have:

3 (3G)
    Current network

3 (4G)
    Available network

3 (2G)
    Available network

I just tried to connect to the 4G network, but was unable to. It wasn't in the list yesterday when I checked.

I am in London, but my office isn't in a 4G area on the coverage checker - however, my house is. I'll see what the score is when I get home. If you don't need a sim update, then fingers crossed!

Of course, I'll probably end up waiting until January, but it's nice to dream!

Im in Slough - just tried this with my iPhone - I got 2 options "3" and "3 (3G)" I tried to connect to just "3" it connected with 1 dot but soon lost it.
  • Options
    bikerladbikerlad Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't seem to see a way to tell if a network is 4G or 3G when I do a scan, am I missing something?
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most phones won't tell you. A few have funny ways of showing it. What phone do you have?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Galaxy S4 is Settings / Connections / More Networks / Mobile Networks.

You need to turn off your mobile data before you can scan.
This discussion has been closed.