Options

Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• Options
    Night HawkNight Hawk Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    tommm83 wrote: »
    Hi,

First post, but I've been following this thread for a while.

I have the correct iPhone carrier update (15.6 I think it is), and have the 4G toggle in the cellular menu. I am in a 4G location (my partner is on Three and has 4G - same carrier settings).

But still, no 4G. I was happy being patient before as I knew that they were working through it, but if everyone has been done, should I contact Three about this? It doesn't quite add up.

I might take a stroll to the very centre of the signal area after work and see if I can get signal then (although I did that last night - still nothing).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Tom

If you have Carrier Settings 15.6 on an iPhone you should be good to go. If you're sure you are in a 4G area you can try rebooting your iPhone. I suspect a call to customer services won't get you far yet as the 'official' line is that they guarantee to enable you before 3 March.
  • Options
    JFCJFC Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tommm83 wrote: »
    Hi,

First post, but I've been following this thread for a while.

I have the correct iPhone carrier update (15.6 I think it is), and have the 4G toggle in the cellular menu. I am in a 4G location (my partner is on Three and has 4G - same carrier settings).

But still, no 4G. I was happy being patient before as I knew that they were working through it, but if everyone has been done, should I contact Three about this? It doesn't quite add up.

I might take a stroll to the very centre of the signal area after work and see if I can get signal then (although I did that last night - still nothing).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Tom

Well I have just spoken to Three. The guy I spoke to told me sim free phones will deffo get a software update (it is a download and install job) and he think the only reason I have not got it as my phones was registered as a SG4 on my account and not an Experia SP.

He said the software update ensures that it will work with three's frequency and that is why I can use an O2 sim in there and not Three's.

He said he was going to send my account through to the 4G team to ensure it will be pushed through in the next day or two ahead of the queue.

Not sure if any of the above is a load of tosh not but we will see I guess
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JFC wrote: »
    Possibly ha ha

Well, just spotted this on Three's Facebook page

I really do not get the issue with what sim free has to do with it especially as I have the LTE preferred option when I take my sim out.

Same here.

I still don't fully understand it.

I tried various other networks pay as you go sim cards in my phone - they ALL let me select the LTE option.....

....put my 3 sim back in... And oh look, the LTE option dissapears again!

Very frustrating knowing that's the only thing that's stopping me access 4g.
  • Options
    Night HawkNight Hawk Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    JFC wrote: »
    Well I have just spoken to Three. The guy I spoke to told me sim free phones will deffo get a software update (it is a download and install job) and he think the only reason I have not got it as my phones was registered as a SG4 on my account and not an Experia SP.

He said the software update ensures that it will work with three's frequency and that is why I can use an O2 sim in there and not Three's.

He said he was going to send my account through to the 4G team to ensure it will be pushed through in the next day or two ahead of the queue.

Not sure if any of the above is a load of tosh not but we will see I guess

In this case the OP has an iPhone. Apple pushed out the Three Carrier settings update last December - and it won't matter a hoot where the iPhone was purchased.

If it's got 15.6, it's ready.
  • Options
    IkariMIkariM Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Strange how I was told in this very thread that Three 4G for normal consumers was not that big a deal and it was only for those whom are technically minded to bother with it. Fast forward a few weeks and you can see the big increase in normal consumers wanting Three 4G enabled on their devices but are being left disappointed by its poor rollout. Now we are being told that everyone with a Three 4G device will be guaranteed to be on 4G within 10 days time.
  • Options
    thebennyboythebennyboy Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    IkariM wrote: »
    Strange how I was told in this very thread that Three 4G for normal consumers was not that big a deal and it was only for those whom are technically minded to bother with it. Fast forward a few weeks and you can see the big increase in normal consumers wanting Three 4G enabled on their devices but are being left disappointed by its poor rollout. Now we are being told that everyone with a Three 4G device will be guaranteed to be on 4G within 10 days time.

You can take you're anti-three parade somewhere else. It ain't welcome here! I would also like to point out that Three have said on their facebook page that all current customers have now been activated. So you're "within 10 days" is total BS.
  • Options
    IkariMIkariM Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Same here.

I tried various other networks pay as you go sim cards in my phone - they ALL let me select the LTE option.....

Try a new Three payg sim card in your phone to see if the LTE option is enabled and it should then switch to 4G without the need to top up first so long as you are in a 4G area that allows connections.;-)
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Poor rollout? Its the fastest rollout of any of the networks so far :confused:

So don't half talk some shit!! I'll give you that :D
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    So no 4G from Three then? ;-)

Nor from o2, nor from EE and nor from Vodaphone.

Are you ever going to tell me/us what network it is in the UK that has this apparent seamless coverage you keep bullshitting about?

It's funny that you keep ignoring it....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member

im technically minded, i joined three last week, as i wanted 4g, my area aint been switched on but areas around it locks on to 4g and impressed with the speeds and its unlimited ;-) , not seen any other network offer this

i actually think they ahead of schedule if you bother looking that up, and i can wait , as i dont see any other network offer close on what three offer,

i want unlimited 4g, and cannot see anyone else offering this do you ?,

on other networks with data limit on 4g, if you go over in the month do they start charging extra ? i can use 500mb - 1gb in a single day,

in kings heath, i was getting 23mb down - 22mb upload which was amazing , streaming was perfect , skipping forward etc
  • Options
    novitiatenovitiate Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Have finally got 4G enabled on my SIM free Galaxy Note 3 in north Nottingham. Considering I only had a 1 bar signal, the speed test showed 21Mbps down, 6.24 Mbps up and a 60Ms ping which isn't bad at all.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ua_ah wrote: »
    im technically minded, i joined three last week, as i wanted 4g, my area aint been switched on but areas around it locks on to 4g and impressed with the speeds and its unlimited ;-) , not seen any other network offer this

i actually think they ahead of schedule if you bother looking that up, and i can wait , as i dont see any other network offer close on what three offer,

i want unlimited 4g, and cannot see anyone else offering this do you ?,

on other networks with data limit on 4g, if you go over in the month do they start charging extra ? i can use 500mb - 1gb in a single day,

in kings heath, i was getting 23mb down - 22mb upload which was amazing , streaming was perfect , skipping forward etc

4G for Streaming is more reliable than the crappy WiFi router I have from Virgin at home. Should really get a new one.

Bit of topic but could anyone suggest a Wireless AC Router that I could get for £100-180 want something that will actually deliver solid wireless to my entire house preferably. Virgin barely works when I am streaming on my IPad have a powerline set up for wired.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great attempt at rewriting history.

The point was that most people enjoy DC-HSPA today, so already have speeds of up to 28-30Mbps (in the real world) with decent ping times. Upload speeds from 2-4Mbps.

Not bad by any shadow of the imagination.

Thus, Three users will probably not be as blown away by 4G as users of other networks. On O2 usually getting EDGE? Well 4G for you is going to be a massive leap. For some, it will be the first time you can really enjoy data at all on the move.

I still don't think the majority of Three users, or indeed most mobile subscribers anywhere, are that bothered by 4G.. but many have heard about it (or they should given the money spent on advertising by others, and coverage in the media) and so are now interested and intrigued, or have simply noticed a new thing on their display if they had bought a 4G ready phone in the last year or so.

Are you suggesting that most people are desperate for 4G and going out doing speedtests? I can assure you my wife isn't. Nor are my parents who are also both on Three (long before I was) and will probably mention to me in the coming weeks about it but didn't call me up in the middle of the night to rejoice and say what speeds they were getting.

And my dad knows about doing speed tests, as they've got BT Infinity, and I installed the app on his iPhone too. He'll be interested, but there's still a difference.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three has always been superfast for me even before 4G. On 3G HSPA+ I was getting anywhere from 15-25 megabits per second on the evenings, a bit less during the day about 10 megabits.

4G is now giving me 45 megabits per second.

The biggest improvement I've noticed so far is the upload speeds. I tap upload to Twitter and the pic goes up instantly instead of taking a few seconds. It's brilliant.

:-)
  • Options
    sb300869sb300869 Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Great attempt at rewriting history.

The point was that most people enjoy DC-HSPA today, so already have speeds of up to 28-30Mbps (in the real world) with decent ping times. Upload speeds from 2-4Mbps.

Not bad by any shadow of the imagination.

Thus, Three users will probably not be as blown away by 4G as users of other networks. On O2 usually getting EDGE? Well 4G for you is going to be a massive leap. For some, it will be the first time you can really enjoy data at all on the move.

I still don't think the majority of Three users, or indeed most mobile subscribers anywhere, are that bothered by 4G.. but many have heard about it (or they should given the money spent on advertising by others, and coverage in the media) and so are now interested and intrigued, or have simply noticed a new thing on their display if they had bought a 4G ready phone in the last year or so.

Are you suggesting that most people are desperate for 4G and going out doing speedtests? I can assure you my wife isn't. Nor are my parents who are also both on Three (long before I was) and will probably mention to me in the coming weeks about it but didn't call me up in the middle of the night to rejoice and say what speeds they were getting.

And my dad knows about doing speed tests, as they've got BT Infinity, and I installed the app on his iPhone too. He'll be interested, but there's still a difference.

On 3G DC-HSPA, I was experiencing between 10 to 25 Meg download , the 4g average of 15 to 22 meg is not really a big deal for me, however seeing 15 meg on the Uplink is a big deal as I can do my backups a lot more quicker.
  • Options
    FontieFontie Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    4G for Streaming is more reliable than the crappy WiFi router I have from Virgin at home. Should really get a new one.

Bit of topic but could anyone suggest a Wireless AC Router that I could get for £100-180 want something that will actually deliver solid wireless to my entire house preferably. Virgin barely works when I am streaming on my IPad have a powerline set up for wired.

Asus RT-AC66U dabs is within your price range
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »

Most folks don't enjoy DC HSDPA as it's only available on top range handsets that are 4G enabled also. The speed 3 themselves claim for DC HSPDA is 12Mbps and that is in 'real world' terms far more likely than the 20+ figure stated. Best I have ever seen in Glasgow was in a 3 store and the DC HSDPA device managed 12Mbps, iPhone 5's on 3 speedtest between 2-7Mbps where I work.

Other networks have had decent 3G speeds in many major cities for some time as recent RootMetrics reports have revealed and as most of the UK population live in big cities it's simply not accurate to suggest the vast majority of those using other networks have been experiencing EDGE mostly. O2 and Vodafone have been rolling out 900MHz UMTS with DC HSDPA also and EE have a RAN with 3 so in major areas the difference between what people experienced pre 4G and after is likely to be similar on all networks. EE are the trailblazers with the breadth of coverage and speed that is clearly their big selling point although that comes with a premium price attached which some will happily pay to get the very best mobile broadband coverage and speed on their phones.

3 have repeatedly stated their 4G is about capacity and quality of service and not raw speed. They need 4G to cater for the huge amount of data their customers consume because their offering is not regulated by price. 3 themselves are being very careful to ensure that their 4G offering is understated and are introducing restrictions to tethering on the One Plan for new customers and clear notification about Trafficsense management for existing customers so that their mobile offering is not congested by fixed line migrants.

Like everything else the performance of networks varies greatly dependent on area and it's easy to quote the best performance figures but they are not generally representative of what average customers can realistically achieve which is why my respect for 3 has greatly increased lately as the company appear to be very conservative with their claims and have also been cautious with their rollout, both very good indicators for those thinking of joining the network.
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people saying they still don't have 4G yet, it could be that you're actually not in a 4G area despite what the coverage checker says. A lot of my area isn't covered by 4G even though it says indoors and outdoors.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »

Are you using the HomeHub v1? It's known for Wireless problems.

Ask Virgin for a HH v2, which is what I now have, works flawlessly now.

HTH.

SRT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people saying they still don't have 4G yet, it could be that you're actually not in a 4G area despite what the coverage checker says. A lot of my area isn't covered by 4G even though it says indoors and outdoors.

Or have a sim free phone that still requires a firmware update (like me)

PS. Does anyone have a link to this thread on Facebook that was mentioned earlier. I can't find it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here.

Same again. I have a Sony xperia sp, put my EE or another network sim in and LTE option is there but put my Three sim in and it disappears. Getting an iPhone 5 so hopefully 4G will show on that.
  • Options
    JFCJFC Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I live 100 mtrs from a Three 4G mast and my neighbour has it
  • Options
    mlc2009mlc2009 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    what are reasons for speed dropping drastically during hours of 6pm-12am? is this trafficsense or just congestion? I have 2 bars, will having more bars fix this issue?
  • Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlc2009 wrote: »
    what are reasons for speed dropping drastically during hours of 6pm-12am? is this trafficsense or just congestion? I have 2 bars, will having more bars fix this issue?

Depends, are you tethering?
This discussion has been closed.