Saturday Kitchen

2»

Comments

• kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mariaella wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Galton's baby pig on a platter. Shocking!:o

Must admit I didn't like that either. Why would anyone kill a piglet to eat anyway?
  • sianlovescatssianlovescats Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    Must admit I didn't like that either. Why would anyone kill a piglet to eat anyway?

I was horrified when he came out with the little piglet on the roasting tray. I posted about it on my facebook page but none of my friends commented, they were all still in bed!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Not sure what to make of Gerry. It's always strange to me when guests don't know what the show is. Surely the agent and the production manager point out the format?

They should also get some feedback. How do the guests like their meat cooked or do they have any allergies.

Or like the stupid episodes when the guest can't eat anything because they are veggies and no veggie alternative has been supplied or offered.

Anyway, back to Gerry - looking more like a farmer than an international singing star - I would hope that his 'raw' comment was dead pan that missed the beat. He didn't seem very enamoured with the food in general but then I suppose the opposite is someone who raves about how good it is then you see them with a look on their face telling you how they really feel.

Personally the lamb looked pretty good to me. I guess some of the fat could have been rendered out a little more.

and I have no problems with the suckling pig. Not sure why people are fussy over suckling pig and veal but have no problem with spring lamb.

In Spain you can get a baby suckling pig for a single order.
    Forum Member
    petit-pois wrote: »
    Watched it this morning for the first time in ages. One thing that annoys me is James' inability to chat naturally with the celeb guests. I know he's a chef first and foremost, but if they're going to continue to have the section where he cooks while chatting to the guest, he should learn to listen to what they actually say and continue the questioning based on their answers. He obviously has set questions to ask but he sticks to them so rigidly and asks them so unnaturally that they could answer with complete nonsense and it wouldn't matter because he would just ignore and carry on with the next question.
    Not just the guests but also the chefs.
    It happens all the time. The amount of times a chef has put something in the oven and said 150c for 4 hours and then Martin asks - so how long does that go in the oven for?
    Forum Member
    Just watched the episode with Mark Webber and Martin has outdone himself.

I couldn't count the number of times he said Formlia Wun.
    Wun is not so much of a problem but Formlia instead of Formula was very annoying.

Also the thing about him not listening to guests.

Heaven & Hell.
    Mark Webber says heaven is carrot cke.

Martin replies with something like - Well if you get heaven i'll make you something with carrots - i've heard you like carrot cake.

No shit sherlock - he's just bloody said it!
  • coolcreekcoolcreek Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Gary Kemp turned out to be a brilliant guest--had no idea he knew anything about food and obviously enjoys cooking. Jack Stein did a good job for his first show, too. I was getting in the habit of fast forwarding through much of the show, but actually listened to much of this one. And enjoyed it.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't watched for about 8 months now - just watched an episode and know I won't bother ever again.

It was cringe-making.

He's STILL making bloody chilli jam (doesn't he know any other recipes?) doing those beyond corny jokes before the unutterably boring omelette challenge and having guest pluggers on who I've never heard of.

Dreadful show that someone should have the balls to pull the plug on.

Out of respect for it's former glory it deserves a decent funeral.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Haven't watched for about 8 months now - just watched an episode and know I won't bother ever again.

It was cringe-making.

He's STILL making bloody chilli jam (doesn't he know any other recipes?) doing those beyond corny jokes before the unutterably boring omelette challenge and having guest pluggers on who I've never heard of.

Dreadful show that someone should have the balls to pull the plug on.

Out of respect for it's former glory it deserves a decent funeral.

Well, I for one, love Saturday Kitchen, but more than that I love James Martin's recipes. Firstly, they always work - for example, I'd never managed to make spaghetti carbonara from scratch without the eggs scrambling until I tried James' method. Tried it out, bingo, perfect carbonara. Use it every time now.

Secondly, he always has the ordinary kitchen cook in mind when he's making food on his programmes. On Saturday Kitchen that extends to the guest chef recipes as well. These days, most come armed with a recipe that looks accessible and doable at home (a good example of that is the Prawns al cremat recipe by Bjorn van der Horst from the Sunday morning show a few weeks ago - making that next week!) but sometimes a guest chef turns up with a recipe that is a little more complicated or obscure. When that happens, James always tries to 'translate' how the more complicated techniques and obscure ingredients can be adapted or substituted by a normal home cook in a normal home kitchen who doesn't have the time or money to use the things the chefs do. I like that - it's the kind of thoughtful mindset that encourages people to have a go at more complex things without being put off. Contrast that with the Tom Kerridge 'Spring Kitchen' spin-off series that's currently being shown on weekday afternoons - lovely though Tom is, he's doing stuff that isn't readily accessible or doable at home. I mean, smoked butter you can only buy online? How's that something a home cook is likely to want to factor into a recipe?

Thirdly, James usually tries to keep his recipes affordable for the ordinary home cook when including slightly more luxurious ingredients in them. For example, his recipe for Singapore chilli crab uses only crab legs, not the whole crab that most other versions prescribe. Immediately you're getting more for your money. I love crab, and whilst living on an island means that top-quality, fresh-off-the-boat seafood is plentiful, it's not especially cheap. (A whole crab will yield only about 25% usable weight of meat against 75% weight of wasted shell, and at the moment you'll pay about £10 for a whole crab. Crab claws yield about 60/65% usable meat, leaving only 35/40% weight of wasted shell for that same £10.) The fact that James doesn't go for style over substance, regardless of other equally flavoursome options (unlike Jack Stein last week - this very issue cropping up regarding crab then too!) isn't something to gloss over - unless you've got more money than sense!

James also goes over good, basic techniques and makes things look accessible in terms of having a go. Even though I'm a competent home cook, who enjoys trying to make everything from scratch instead of buying it in,I always find something interesting in every week's edition of the show - either a new technique, a new recipe I want to try that week or an interesting ingredient to use in a different way - and have never yet found an edition of the programme to be boring. Some bits interest me more than others, but the bits that don't are firmly in the minority.

Finally, in terms of positives for me, all the recipes are there for me on the website should I wish to print one out - none of this "we'll put a couple on, but for the rest you'll have to buy the book" stuff that goes on with some chefs!

Your comment about the chilli jam - is that really such an issue? Not everyone knows how to make things you might even if you consider 'old hat' and 'repetitive', there will always be people who want to have a go at what to them are 'new' things, and if it's the right element for a particular day/dish/recipe then why not include it? After all, I could say the same any time basic butchery skills are covered - my grandfather was a butcher, so I do a lot of my own meat prep, e.g. jointing and boning out chickens, but I don't watch instructions on how to joint/bone out chickens on a TV cooking shows thinking, "Oh, is he STILL showing people how to do that - can't he show them how to do anything else?" because the point isn't whether I've seen it umpteen times before, but whether it's relevant and of interest to someone else who's never done it before.

Ok, the omelette challenge is a bit of silliness, but none the worse for that - we enjoy trying to assess the success (or not) of the omelettes just from what they look like. It might not amuse you, but they wouldn't keep it in the show if they didn't have enough feedback to say it's still enjoyed by many. I also enjoy watching some of the 'archived' programmes in between the live cooking segments - the recent Ken Hom/Ching-He Huang series has been a delight, and Keith Floyd was always good value for money!

You, and others on the thread don't seem like James Martin - that's fine, we can't like everyone - but for me he's a secure pair of hands in terms of recipes that work, and as a busy working mum who has to cook every day, he comes across very much as being on 'our' side in not making things so much like hard work it's not worth even trying. Yes, sometimes the talking in his ear whilst he's trying to cook and carry on a conversation at the same time means that it comes across as him not really listening to what the guest is saying, but I couldn't juggle so many balls in the air at the same time for five minutes, let alone an hour and a half week after week!

So, for me personally, I hope Saturday Kitchen carries on for a good while yet, and I will continue to use James Martin recipes knowing they are virtually fail-safe and also tasty, family crowd-pleasers - which is what all busy working mums like me need, at the end of the day. :)
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Martin always cooks tasty looking food, and I like him, as a Chef, and Presenter. His Home Comforts series was really good too.

Anyone who thinks he can't naturally chat to guests, chefs and present at the same time should watch Tom Kerridge, in the same kitchen, in the same format. I caught a glimpse today, and the words stilted and embarrassing spring to mind. That kitchen belongs to James!
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please let's never have The Hairy Bikers presenting again.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »

Why, we liked them
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 01/07/17 - 10:54 #38
    Abriel wrote: »
    JamieHT wrote: »

Why, we liked them

They're just awful, particularly Dave. Sadly the BBC seem to be using them more and more.
  • testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    I could just about bear them in the early years, but they've become one of the campest double acts on TV. Myers is the more annoying of the two - and his squeaky voice is really grating.
  • BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    imagine Saturday Kitchen with the Hairy Bikers and Geri Horner😱😱😱
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    James Martin is doing a new show on ITV called Saturday Morning with James Martin. I guess that will put a few noses out of joint at the BBC.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Martin is doing a new show on ITV called Saturday Morning with James Martin. I guess that will put a few noses out of joint at the BBC.

I wonder how many times he will mention Yorkshire in his first episode
  • BroBillyBroBilly Posts: 298
    Forum Member

And how often he will make a point out of using shitloads of butter, as it's 'his house'
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BroBilly wrote: »

And how often he will make a point out of using shitloads of butter, as it's 'his house'

I'm a Yorkshire lad. I'm using butter.