Gay Icon - why Judy Garland???

GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
Forum Member
✭✭
OK I've been curious about this ever since I heard it, so...

Why Judy Garland? :confused:

Comments

• sHaKsHaK Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was really a man.
  • Miasima GoriaMiasima Goria Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    sHaK wrote: »
    She was really a man.

She slept with more gay men than I've managed so far!
  • jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    I've heard it was because she was diva and survivor(for a while at least) who went through lots of drama in her life so some gay men identify with her.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard it was because she was diva and survivor(for a while at least) who went through lots of drama in her life so some gay men identify with her.

What an odd person for gay people to idolise - I mean, there are tons of people out there (who are gay), that could fit that category.

Why not choose them ? :confused:
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought it was part of the deal with the "Somewhere over the Rainbow" thing.

BTW, I would like to state that I do not idolise Judy Garland.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought it was part of the deal with the "Somewhere over the Rainbow" thing.

BTW, I would like to state that I do not idolise Judy Garland.

Lol ! :D
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought it was part of the deal with the "Somewhere over the Rainbow" thing..

Care to explain?
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,600
    Forum Member
    Gneiss wrote: »
    Care to explain?

Well the rainbow is a symbol of the gay rights movement.

I found this article about it on Wikipedia. My personal feeling though is because she was in the campest film ever made - the Wizard of Oz!

And for the record I do love Judy!
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    marjangles wrote: »

I found this article about it on Wikipedia. My personal feeling though is because she was in the campest film ever made - the Wizard of Oz!

I've never seen the whole of the Wizard of Oz, but I don't understand how it's camp or what counts as a camp film.

All this 'Friends of Dorothy' and love of musicals thing is very odd to me, I don't understand why it's supposed to appeal to gay men particularly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I found this article about it on Wikipedia.!
    Thanks for finding that...

None of it would even have crossed my mind and the Wizard of Oz is one of my all time favourite films..

So do I...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All this 'Friends of Dorothy' and love of musicals thing is very odd to me, I don't understand why it's supposed to appeal to gay men particularly.

That's why I asked...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Gay men attach themselves to strong female characters, especially in entertainment and music.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen the whole of the Wizard of Oz, but I don't understand how it's camp or what counts as a camp film.

I had to laugh at this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friend_of_Dorothy

In the early 1980s, the Naval Investigative Service was investigating homosexuality in the Chicago area. Agents discovered that gay men sometimes referred to themselves as "friends of Dorothy." Unaware of the historical meaning of the term, the NIS believed that a woman named Dorothy was at the center of a massive ring of homosexual military personnel. The NIS launched an enormous hunt for Dorothy, hoping to find her and convince her to reveal the names of gay servicemembers.[6]
  • jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gay men attach themselves to strong female characters, especially in entertainment and music.

Thank god they don't attach themselves to strong women like Margaret Thatcher :eek: Perhaps we are all mummies boys and fixate with our mothers as the centre of our universe :D

Be interesting to know how Lesbians feel.

btw. for me, I do like "Somewhere over the Rainbow", but only idolise myself - nobody else :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    jswift909 wrote: »
    Thank god they don't attach themselves to strong women like Margaret Thatcher :eek: Perhaps we are all mummies boys and fixate with our mothers as the centre of our universe :D

Be interesting to know how Lesbians feel.

I wonder if there is such a thing as a lesbian icon, with the exception of P!nk :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The drama and the tragedy.
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree, although I like strong male characters perfectly well if they're feisty and 'bitchy' (but that doesn't necessarily mean effeminate).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just before I go tonight, for all those musical fans, one of Judy's earliest "films" alongside Deanna... They even refer to the girls by their real names http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbyPCZhzaE8

Enjoy....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, so assuming that's Judy sorted...

I have to admit being somewhat bemused, having been a fan of Judy for as long as I can remember and given my love of the early musicals.

Does it include the opera too?

And who else has the "gay icon" tag and why?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    I've never understood it either and the whole "Oh he's a friend of Dorothy" thing:o:confused:
  • DeeLushDeeLush Posts: 2,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its because she was old school hollywood glamour..

and the gays love the glam :) she was in one of the most iconic films ever... where she got to skip down a yellow brick road in red satin shoes? with her hair in pigtails.. HELLO?? thats my gay friends DREAM SCENARIO!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it's because her husband Vincente Minnelli was gay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if there is such a thing as a lesbian icon, with the exception of P!nk :p

Lucy Lawless, Sigourney Weaver?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member

I have to admit being somewhat bemused, having been a fan of Judy for as long as I can remember and given my love of the early musicals.

Ethel Merman, Streisand, Bette Midler. Big voices, big personalities, big drama. Sing lots of show tunes.
  • Missy MooMissy Moo Posts: 474
    Forum Member

Maria Callas - an actual diva!