Helen Mirren: UK is nasty

j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
Forum Member
"BRITISH actress Helen Mirren, the actress who won an Oscar for her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth II, has attacked modern Britain as being angry and cruel.

She accused people of being "nasty" on the internet and said she believes British comedy is too savage in an interview published in the latest edition of French celebrity magazine Paris Match.

Mirren, 65, said the country of her birth no longer cherishes old-fashioned virtues and suggested she would feel more at home in France."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/british-actress-helen-mirren-says-uk-is-nasty/story-e6frf96o-1225953935210

Comments

• Angel_DelightsAngel_Delights Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really went off Helen Mirren these past few years with some of the loony comments she makes. She seems a bit up herself.
  • ajaaja Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You gotta love these people!:mad:

She, like Anthony Hopkins, only start to mouth-off about how bad the UK is once they've been awarded high honours (Knighthoods/Damehoods). In fact it wouldn't surprise me if she joins Hopkins in giving up her British citizenship and become a French or American citizen.

The other irony in Mirren's case re her award is she was for many years an anti-Royalist! And who says principals matter;)
  • Nuts In MayNuts In May Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silly woman. :rolleyes:

She often comes out with statements which she thinks somehow will be controversial. Doesn't she realise this so called ''savagery'' has been going on for years and isn't just something which has happened recently? Why is she moaning about the UK anyway when she doesn't even live here, and as the US is a far more violent society, why does she tolerate living in it?

If she thinks France is so wonderful, perhaps she should pack up and live there instead. I used to like her, but now I think she has a tendency to voice her opinions before she thinks them through.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, UGH.

I am sick and tired of these over-privileged, ivory tower idiots attacking things they probably have very little GENUINE understanding or experience of.

I actually liked Helen Mirren but this will put me right off her. Daft woman. Some people desperately need to learn it's better to keep some opinions to themselves.

France are f***ing welcome to her.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
  • FrankieHowerdFrankieHowerd Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Oh, UGH.

I am sick and tired of these over-privileged, ivory tower idiots attacking things they probably have very little GENUINE understanding or experience of.

I actually liked Helen Mirren but this will put me right off her. Daft woman. Some people desperately need to learn it's better to keep some opinions to themselves.

I thought she liked her men 'nasty'!:p:p:p;)
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I'm sure Ms Mirren doesn't really have to worry about the mundanities of the 'real world' these days, but to an extent she has got a point.

A lot of folk do seem to become easily obsessed by what's happening on Facebook or who's bitched about whom on Twitter. The epitome of their weekend appears to be who's been kicked out of The X Factor. It's quite sad.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Well, I'm sure Ms Mirren doesn't really have to worry about the mundanities of the 'real world' these days, but to an extent she has got a point.

A lot of folk do seem to become easily obsessed by what's happening on Facebook or who's bitched about whom on Twitter. The epitome of their weekend appears to be who's been kicked out of The X Factor. It's quite sad.

I don't think that's limited to the UK though.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    j4Rose wrote: »
    I don't think that's limited to the UK though.

The US seems on a par with us, but that's not exactly reassuring since its the US afterall...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »

True, people do worry too much about what's on the X Factor, bitching on Twitter etc, but she doesn't actually live here, but still feels an entitlement to criticise. Until she moves back, I think she should keep quiet, but preferably she should head off to France as she seems to like it so much - a country where people riot when the retirement age goes up to 62. :rolleyes:
  • *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish Helen would be quiet, all she seems to do these days is talk rubbish.
  • mousymousy Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with her
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    I agree with her to...notwithstanding my loathing of Cheryl Cole :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol Going by this forum, I think she's right.
    Forum Member
    Blamhappy2 wrote: »
    lol Going by this forum, I think she's right.

The Internet can be a very nasty place. I very much doubt French people are that different though.

She wasn't so concerned with old-fashioned values when she was glorifying drug use a while ago.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "BRITISH actress Helen Mirren, the actress who won an Oscar for her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth II, has attacked modern Britain as being angry and cruel.

She accused people of being "nasty" on the internet...
    Really went off Helen Mirren these past few years with some of the loony comments she makes. She seems a bit up herself.
    aja wrote: »
    You gotta love these people!:mad:
    Silly woman. :rolleyes:
    Oh, UGH.

*Clem* wrote: »
    I wish Helen would be quiet, all she seems to do these days is talk rubbish.

Guess she was right :cool:
    Forum Member
    CXC3000 wrote: »

Very witty, I'm sure. Of course there are nasty people online. My issue is that she is slating the UK (yet again). The entire Western World isn't that different, so why single us out?

Many people who post on sites like this one aren't even from the UK anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most people don't like someone attacking their country. especially when the person doing it is over-privileged and probably lives in a bubble most of the time anyway!

And when they don't even live in the country they are attacking it is even more ridiculous.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well she's not wrong in what she says about the increased anger and cruelty the internet has generated, that's undeniably true, but it's hardly just a UK prob. But that's the price of freedom, some of it is vile but a lot of it is important when it targets the greed and incompetance of government and big business. I can't see where she's coming from on British comedy and satire though. Surely it's better to laugh at/take the pee out of situations that would otherwise make you explode with rage? She seems to have had a bit of a sense of humour failure on that one.

Yes, she is a bit removed from normal people's concerns and has over the last few years come out with slightly skewed views on things, but hey, she's entitled to her opinion and no one need take any notice of them.

I like her, skewed views and all, and she's a fantastic actress.
  • *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people don't like someone attacking their country. especially when the person doing it is over-privileged and probably lives in a bubble most of the time anyway!

And when they don't even live in the country they are attacking it is even more ridiculous.

Exactly. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps you like to explain why your use of other people's comments proves she's ''right''? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with her, and I would also prefer to live in France, or any country that doesn't celebrate stupidity and ignorance, but as a national 'icon' perhaps she could have been more diplomatic in the way she phrased her comments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    I agree with her, and I would also prefer to live in France, or any country that doesn't celebrate stupidity and ignorance, but as a national 'icon' perhaps she could have been more diplomatic in the way she phrased her comments.

But the French riot at the drop of a hat - what about the farmer's riots every time Britain does something they don't like, the race riots that break out from time to time in inner city areas, and the recent riot over the raising of the French retirement age to 62?

In that respect France is really no different from most other places in the civilised world.
  • LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We tend to savage people who knock us, perhaps if she didn't do that so much she wouldn't find the internet so disagreeable.:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Internet can be a very nasty place. I very much doubt French people are that different though.

She wasn't so concerned with old-fashioned values when she was glorifying drug use a while ago.

It's because it's anonymous. I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking that it's okay to be rude and overly sarcastic online, but I can see how it happens. I'm sure there's a nasty streak amongst most cultures, and I agree, I'm sure French people can be just as nasty on forums!

I didn't know about the drugs issue. I'll have to look up that info at some point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a bit like Sean Connery constantly moaning about the UK when he hasn't lived here for 25 years!

I agree with some of the things Helen says about this country, although I doubt France is a better place to live in.