Jan Moir at The Daily Mail does it again

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
Forum Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1354725/Amanda-Holden-miscarriage-Celebrity-condolence-tweeting-offensive.html

That's it Jan. Do a whole piece about celebs tweeting personal stuff. Oh yes and include a couple of pictures of Amanda Holden pregnant so we can all remember what she looked like before it all went so sadly wrong. Of course you are just drawing attention to all of this to fill a column in a paper which is far far worse that sending someone condolences over twitter. What a vile opportunistic 'journalist' (made me retch to write that) you truly are.

Comments

• andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    If you are so critical of this paper why do you read it ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest i agree with Jan Moir - all it seems these days is that people want to be seen to be saying the right thing or doing the right thing. If i knew Amanda i would send my message privately.

Also, if i was amanda, would i be looking back through pages of twitter to look for messages? No.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the overall gist of the article.

Haven't people heard of the telephone or sending a note via pen and paper these days?? Surely they could find the means to pass on their best wishes privately.

To see these 'messages of condolence' sandwiched amongst the usual trite and trivial offerings of minor celebrities plugging their latest TV show is tasteless indeed.

Twitter isn't the place for hand-wringing and faux grief over such a private matter.
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Is Jan a sub-editor too?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    If you are so critical of this paper why do you read it ?

I don't. Someone mentioned it on facebook and it was on the website so I had a look. I just thought it was in incredibly poor taste.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe using Twitter to send condolences is not great but using a stillbirth as a hook to write what is essentially a lightweight fluff piece on the changes in social habits through new technology is in my view far, far worse.

Maybe it is an article that could have been written in a few months time but her timing, as always, so wide off the mark and offensive.
  • avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never did I think I'd agree with Jan Moir - but I think she's absolutely right in this instance. Not that I think it was necessary of her to write an article about it however.
  • Angel_DelightsAngel_Delights Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despise the woman after the Stephen Gately story but in a way I do agree about celebs tweeting Amanda Holden. I feel it's rather poor taste, a bit like sending her a text or something. Couldn't they send her a thinking of you or with sympathy card or phone her?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    Maybe using Twitter to send condolences is not great but using a stillbirth as a hook to write what is essentially a lightweight fluff piece on the changes in social habits through new technology is in my view far, far worse.

Maybe it is an article that could have been written in a few months time but her timing, as always, so wide off the mark and offensive.

THIS.

Amanda herself is a frequent user and would have probably tweeted her condelences when another celebrity had suffered stillbirth. Maybe it's not great to use twitter but at the end it's the message that helps and consoles, not the technology.

Jan Moir is just a misogynic, moaning, sad old woman, who should get herself a real job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pictures are in poor taste yes but I agree a message of condolence is a far more personal thing, especially when you have better contact details to hand. I very much doubt Amanda and her husband will feel up to scanning twitter for some time.

I don't of course believe many of those celebrities tweeting their sympathy haven't also sent a card or made a call, though it must be so difficult to know what to say, but then that leads me to believe some maybe felt they had to be seen sending their condolences to avoid a thread on forums like this, slating them for being so uncaring.

It is also the case in situations like this that knowing what to say does not come to all and it's quite human to be selfish enough to believe your public condolence (a tweet in this case) is enough and you've done your bit. I wouldn't think any less of someone if this was the case, as I've said its only human. I'd hate to have to do it myself and so wouldn't judge another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Sugar's take the subject via Twitter (predictably).

Sugar, of course, had chimed in with his own message of sympathy the other day.
    If Jan Moir worked for SKY she'd be out by now.Daily Liar employs a special species of journalist. I'm struggling to find a word for them
    Mega bitch Jan Moir in Daily Liar says extending condolences,is showing off. Fact: If something bad happens to her there will be silence.
    If advertisers picked a day to survey the public opinion of the Daily Liar it's now. Well done Moir, with employees like u. Competitor bliss.

He's a tetchy one sometimes. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did find Lord Sugars tweets amusing :D
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On this occasion Moir is actually spot on about the z-listers ridiculous behaviour.
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with Jane Moir too.
  • stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Despise the woman after the Stephen Gately story but in a way I do agree about celebs tweeting Amanda Holden. I feel it's rather poor taste, a bit like sending her a text or something. Couldn't they send her a thinking of you or with sympathy card or phone her?

I dont think it's appropriate to call unless you are close friend or relative of the couple, Im sure most of the celebrities only know her vaguely through tv work and may not even have her number plus I doubt they want the hassle of talking to different people every two minuites.But I do agree that there are different ways to show sympathy- the old fashioned way, through a card seems the best way to me. If people dont know her address im sure they could have posted to her management who would forward on. Im not sure about text or emails - but at least theyre private and you know the person will eventually read them maybe more quickly than a card.

I always feel uncomfortable when people write on someone s facebook wall after a relative dies, I know people are just showing concern but why is it so important for everyone to view your messgae, whats wrong with a personal private message?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stash22 wrote: »
    I dont think it's appropriate to call unless you are close friend or relative of the couple, Im sure most of the celebrities only know her vaguely through tv work and may not even have her number plus I doubt they want the hassle of talking to different people every two minuites.But I do agree that there are different ways to show sympathy- the old fashioned way, through a card seems the best way to me. If people dont know her address im sure they could have posted to her management who would forward on. Im not sure about text or emails - but at least theyre private and you know the person will eventually read them maybe more quickly than a card.

I always feel uncomfortable when people write on someone s facebook wall after a relative dies, I know people are just showing concern but why is it so important for everyone to view your messgae, whats wrong with a personal private message?

The way the etiquette of these things are done is changing rapidly and I do think there is room for a debate on that change and if it is acceptable or not. What I think is wrong about this article is not the basic subject but the fact that it is based on a specific tragic event which happened less than a week ago.

Tweeting condolences may be done for a variety of reasons, some good, some less good but writing this article I think was done for one reason and it's not a very admirable one.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I don't like Jan Moir at all but I actually agee with her here.

If I knew Amanda personally, celeb or not, I would send a card to her or call her as Twittering would seem very impersonal to me. In the case of death I would always go hand written, but thats just me personally.

If I sent her a cyber msg I would rather send her a private email rather than Twitter, Facebook or social-network msg her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Jan is essentially right on this occasion. I know when I saw the messages I thought how impersonal and slightly 'look at me' it all seemed. I don't think it matters if they were followed up by phone calls or cards, in a way it probably makes it worse. There again I always shy away from the RIP messages on DS when someone has died.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the celebrities are saying 'look at me' in their messages, is not Jan Moir also saying 'look at me' in the way she can use the tragic experience of a celebrity of only a few days ago as a way to make people look and react to what she writes, 'look at how controversial I am'?

Doesn't that make her more than a little hypocritical?
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    avidreader wrote: »
    Never did I think I'd agree with Jan Moir - but I think she's absolutely right in this instance. Not that I think it was necessary of her to write an article about it however.

Yes, I agree with her this time. She comes across as a nasty beatch, but I find it hard to get too angry about anything she says. Most of the time she only writes things to get a reaction, so she's little more than a troll.
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    stash22 wrote: »

I have posted condolences on Facebook but only when the person concerned has put the news in a status update as I feel by putting it up there they want people to comment and will get some comfort from it. One of my friends' father-in-law died a couple of weeks ago and she sent a private message round specifically asking us not to post on her or her husband's Facebook and everyone respected her wishes and sent condolences in other ways.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the celebrities are saying 'look at me' in their messages, is not Jan Moir also saying 'look at me' in the way she can use the tragic experience of a celebrity of only a few days ago as a way to make people look and react to what she writes, 'look at how controversial I am'?

By their very nature that is what journalists are paid to do.

Is she writing to incite a reaction?? Of course she is. As all journalists are. That's what creates discussion and sells newspapers.

The gist of her sentiments is correct, although there is credence to those who question the timing of her article. But again, that's just a journalist playing the game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how would you like people to send their messages of sympathy. Should people write a letter? (Will it give back her baby boy? answer no!)

Sometimes it doesn't matter what anyone says, or however they choose to convey their message, words will never be enough, but displaying sympathy, or indeed empathy in whichever way you choose to do it surely should not be condemned.:(
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member

Just a tad, yes! She is only doing her job, and I doubt she believes most of what she writes. Even so, her job is effectively to spew poison and to hurt people, so I hope she's proud of herself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    ^ By their very nature that is what journalists are paid to do.

Their position is to play Devil's Advocate and hit on subjects that are going to incite debate and sell newspapers.

I appreciate that but timing is all. The timing on this one doesn't feel right to me, it is not a particularly serious debate anyway but one that can cause offence by being so close to the event it is hooking the story on to. It's not exactly in the public interest to have this debate this week is it?