Capital FM Network (Part 2)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    I think Capital HQ probably need to let the local DJs know if one of the network DJs is off with a cover DJ in for them. I noticed on the Capital schedule a few days ago that Will Cozens was to be on the network Sunday Afternoon 1pm-4pm and then Scott London on 7pm-11pm.

Just before 1pm on Capital Yorkshire today, Adele Roberts said 'Scott London on the way next'. Would have thought this seems odd to listeners that Adele doesn't even have a clue who is in the building for the next show, if Capital are still maintaining the illusion that all shows are local.

Listening to Will Cozens who was on air this afternoon, it really does seem a shame that he is usually tucked away on overnights, IMO he should have evenings which he would be perfect for (and the show that he had on Kiss).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Capital HQ probably need to let the local DJs know if one of the network DJs is off with a cover DJ in for them. I noticed on the Capital schedule a few days ago that Will Cozens was to be on the network Sunday Afternoon 1pm-4pm and then Scott London on 7pm-11pm.

Just before 1pm on Capital Yorkshire today, Adele Roberts said 'Scott London on the way next'. Would have thought this seems odd to listeners that Adele doesn't even have a clue who is in the building for the next show, if Capital are still maintaining the illusion that all shows are local.

It is a simple fact that can be checked. You would think they would make sure is right.

Just caught Gillies from Capital South Coast reel off the rest of today's schedule, and say Dave Kelly, when it's going to be James Barr - as confirmed on facebook by James yesterday afternoon, then repeatedly when he was on air.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Hehe, the last post was at 9:58!

Ahem!
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most of the DJs on Capital are just "voices on a stick", most people won't even notice their names outside of breakfast, it's not a big deal.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the DJs on Capital are just "voices on a stick", most people won't even notice their names outside of breakfast, it's not a big deal.

:D:D

Fab post and spot on!
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    You should have heard the website Zoe was going to give out this morning. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -ajm- wrote: »
    You should have heard the website Zoe was going to give out this morning. :)

I did! Ga...p lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Listening to Will Cozens who was on air this afternoon, it really does seem a shame that he is usually tucked away on overnights, IMO he should have evenings which he would be perfect for (and the show that he had on Kiss).

He's good, isn't he?

If you're really interested in beating Radio 1 - you'd surely shove him and Dave Kelly up the schedule.
  • jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's good, isn't he?

If you're really interested in beating Radio 1 - you'd surely shove him and Dave Kelly up the schedule.

You're right, but the reality is they're not really serious about taking on Radio 1. Yes there are big similarities between the stations, but there are also massive differences - and those differences are big enough to see off any direct rivalry between the brands.

Yes, they were always going to launch with brash statements, a big dose of hyperbole and plenty of intent, what major brand wouldn't?

The problem with really taking on Radio 1 is that there would have to be a loser - I think they're better served playing their current game and keeping a safe distance.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Some clever guest work on Capital FM tonight with Nicole Verylongname out of The Pussycat Dolls.

They had an interview at about 8pm - not too long or intrusive, ideal as I'm not listening to Capital for speech (plenty of options for that round here), then said they'd recorded a bit they would play out after 9pm, so tell all your mates etc. Clever for pushing listening figures.

Then at about 11pm Nicole makes a recorded appearance, pretending to barge into the studio mid-link as she'd left her lipgloss and bantering (on tape) with the DJ.

Clever stuff. Think someone may have been listening to Moyles, but still, clever idea.
    Forum Member
    jon craig wrote: »
    You're right, but the reality is they're not really serious about taking on Radio 1.

They very much are. There are targets in place for each Capital market. And there are yet more Scott Mills rumours swooshing through the building (can't see it ever happening. That level of speech plus adverts, travel and news? Evans on Virgin was never the same and I'd envisage the same with Moyles or Mills on Capital)

I know Capital network won't ever truly beat Radio 1. And you do too.

Ashley Tabor genuinely believes that they can beat them, though.

But he also believes that Toby Anstis is the only good mid morning presenter in the UK.

You talk about "reality" and sensibly outline the reasons Capital and Radio 1 are not true rivals. And they're reasonable enough.

But there is no "reality" at the top of Global. As a result, it's an often entertaining place to work - but for the wrong reasons.
  • Mr PringleMr Pringle Posts: 6,469
    Forum Member
    They very much are. There are targets in place for each Capital market. And there are yet more Scott Mills rumours swooshing through the building (can't see it ever happening. That level of speech plus adverts, travel and news? Evans on Virgin was never the same and I'd envisage the same with Moyles or Mills on Capital)

I know Capital network won't ever truly beat Radio 1. And you do too.

Ashley Tabor genuinely believes that they can beat them, though.

But he also believes that Toby Anstis is the only good mid morning presenter in the UK.

You talk about "reality" and sensibly outline the reasons Capital and Radio 1 are not true rivals. And they're reasonable enough.

But there is no "reality" at the top of Global. As a result, it's an often entertaining place to work - but for the wrong reasons.
    I think it's hilarious from an outsiders' point of view, re: Capital in it's current form 'beating' Radio 1.

Ashley, if you're reading, get a grip. And get some decent programming.
  • east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Pringle wrote: »
    I think it's hilarious from an outsiders' point of view, re: Capital in it's current form 'beating' Radio 1.

Ashley, if you're reading, get a grip. And get some decent programming.

and sort out the music and imaging (Kiss's imaging is far better IMO)
  • x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My question is how on earth are Capital a national station? You can't get them in Swindon, North Wales, Devon to name a few places, but I can get Radio 1, so Capital are not a proper rival to Radio 1, they are just a few radio stations clumped together to make a network, the same as Heart.

In fact here's a map of their "national" radio station http://www.thisisglobal.com/radio/capital/
    Forum Member
    Dave Kelly just mentioned that he has been banned from phoning up people and asking 'Are you are tosser' on pancake day.

It seems as though within the last year Capital management has put a stop to all of Daves games which included phoning random people, such as Neil or no Neil as well. :mad:

Shame really. Those features made entertaining radio. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    x+y wrote: »
    My question is how on earth are Capital a national station? You can't get them in Swindon, North Wales, Devon to name a few places, but I can get Radio 1, so Capital are not a proper rival to Radio 1, they are just a few radio stations clumped together to make a network, the same as Heart.

In fact here's a map of their "national" radio station http://www.thisisglobal.com/radio/capital/

There's a lot of coverage not shown on that map. Capital South Coast is on DAB right the way along the South Coast, but isn't highlighted.

Don't forget, it is on Freeview and Sky across the entire country too.

Ok, it's not a proper national station like Radio1, but it is more national than not.
    Forum Member
    x+y wrote: »

I thought Capital could be found on DAB in Devon and Sussex Coast.

I was listening to Capital in Brighton on DAB on the train a couple of weeks ago :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what's next, Lincs FM Group renaming all their stations Lincs FM?
    I think calling local stations 'Capital' is strange, at least. However, with local brands and output being so diluted over more than a decade now, do listeners or even advertisers give a flying fig what a station's called?
    Isn't the frequency the focal point?

Take Mercia in Coventry; in the 80s and early 90s it had an impressive local identity and was very well known as a great local station.
    Now though, like all the other commercial stations, it is just a music service with very little local orientation. I assume most people with any interest in the area have long since retuned to BBC Coventry and Warwickshire.

I assume most people who like Mercia these days think of it as 'that music station on 97 or 102.9' first and foremost. It could be called anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    my_login wrote: »
    I think calling local stations 'Capital' is strange, at least.

Some would say naming a radio station after a river (Trent et al), an animal (Fox, Bear), something astronomical (Star, Galaxy), major organ (Heart) or a winged reptilian creature (Wyvern) is also 'strange'.

As has been said before on this forum, 'Capital' doesn't mean "capital city"; as well as a noun, it's also an adjective that means first and foremost/main/excellent. So not such a bad name for any organisation, including a radio station.

Outside London, I'm sure it's only people in the media who would think "London radio station" when they hear the word "Capital".
  • WBOYWBOY Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    MrUK wrote: »
    a winged reptilian creature (Wyvern) is also 'strange'
    Wyvern was named after the two rivers that flow through Herefordshire & Worcestershire - River Wye and River Severn. I'm lead to believe Fox FM was named after "For Oxford"
  • johnny radishjohnny radish Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Dave Kelly just mentioned that he has been banned from phoning up people and asking 'Are you are tosser' on pancake day.

It seems as though within the last year Capital management has put a stop to all of Daves games which included phoning random people, such as Neil or no Neil as well. :mad:

Unfortunately that's what happens when your on your arse ratings wise. Not Dave Kelly bashing , more to do with the complete Capital set up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrUK wrote: »
    Some would say naming a radio station after a river (Trent et al), an animal (Fox, Bear), something astronomical (Star, Galaxy), major organ (Heart) or a winged reptilian creature (Wyvern) is also 'strange'.
    I agree of course that names such as 'Star' are equally curious.
    However, changing names which had a local meaning is a different kettle of fish.

As I said though, I don't think the name really matters. The parent group can exercise their ego and name their stations whatever they want. The end result is still a music station on a frequency, with little unique identity or remit.
  • BluedabadeeBluedabadee Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dave Kelly with or without features still manages to put out an entertaining show though! I think he should've got the evening slot to be honest.

Ideally...

4pm Rich Clarke
    7pm Dave Kelly
    11pm Will Cozens
    2am Greg Burns

I think that's a better line up :) or have Greg on the network.
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wildcard theory here.

Something in the back of my mind thinks that talks with Chris Moyles might have been at some sort of embryonic stage last year, around the time of pay-gate.

In the event, he probably realised he wouldn't be able to do his act properly on Capital.

Even Steve Orchard realised he needed to be allowed to break some rules, I doubt Tabor would feel the same.
    Forum Member
    Something in the back of my mind thinks that talks with Chris Moyles might have been at some sort of embryonic stage last year, around the time of pay-gate.

It is of course possible - indeed likely - that Ashley Tabor and Chris Moyles, as friends, have had casual conversations about Capital and the related "what ifs". In fact, given their history, you'd have to say it's inconcievable such conversations have not taken place, even if just over a pint or whatever.

Chris Moyles would be worth a fortune in sponsorship, but stopping for travel, adverts, news, etc would mean it would never be the same show, in my opinion. Remember Evans when he do the Radio 1 show on Virgin?

We're going to have drivetime syndicated within 18 months or so, though. That much is certain. And it's that sort of networked shift that could attract the big boys, like Chris. Sure, it's not a truly national station - but its footprint is enormous.

But it is Scott Mills - not Chris Moyles - who seems the favourite of the Radio 1 guys to do that at Capital. There was a cack handed attempt by GCap to "get" Scott when the rules were relaxed , I've heard, though it didn't get very far - and he's no stranger to the building.

I have a strong connection to the Galaxy stations going back some years, so I'm somewhat biased - but I was always sad Hirsty didn't get onto Radio 1 or a national shift somewhere. Such a warm, likeable, funny chap. A great show. I'd like to see somebody like him get such a shift - but as I say: it's the Moyles or Mills that would have the big bucks sponsorship possiblities.