A glamorous British soap - would it work?

NoWireHangersNoWireHangers Posts: 909
Forum Member
✭✭
I'd love to have a glamorous British soap. Along the same lines of footballers wives or sunset beach; rich people involved in outrageous storylines!

We've been through a double dip recession; pure entertainment and escapism would be welcome!

Comments

• KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's needed.

I'd love to see a soap set in one of those really posh and expensive glorified housing estates - there's one near where I live.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to have a glamorous British soap. Along the same lines of footballers wives or sunset beach; rich people involved in outrageous storylines!

We've been through a double dip recession; pure entertainment and escapism would be welcome!

TOWIE.is that what you mean
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Made In Chelsea it sounds like.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I'd love that too!

My favourite "glamour" soap ever made is Australia's "Return To Eden" - it was so OTT 80s - big hair, big shoulderpads and ridiculous storylines. Such a shame they don't make things like that now.

The closest we had in the UK was probably "Howard's Way" but even that wasn't really that glamorous. I definitely think there is room for something completely removed from grittiness and day-to-day reality.
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    leeruk wrote: »
    TOWIE.is that what you mean

TOWIE isn't a Soap and nobody in it comes within 50 miles of being 'glamorous'
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I genuinely think it would have mileage.

It could be on twice a week and perhaps even take on an 'edgier' TOWIE/Made in Chelsea style of filming and production, even though the full thing is scripted.
    Forum Member
    I genuinely think it would have mileage.

It could be on twice a week and perhaps even take on an 'edgier' TOWIE/Made in Chelsea style of filming and production, even though the full thing is scripted.

I'd personally have it filmed like Dynasty/Dallas etc - shot on film with really lavish sets and a good musical score. Glamorous doesn't work when they try and shoot it on video on small studio sets because you don't get the full effect of size, scale and "glossiness".
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,165
    Forum Member

:confused: Footballer's Wives was British wasn't it?
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't the second version of the revamped Crossroads go all Americana glamorous?? didn't really work.
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe we look to America for our "glamour"? Most dramas seem to be set in neighbourhoods with big houses and rich families.

Where would you like a glamour soap be set?
    Forum Member
    Didn't the second version of the revamped Crossroads go all Americana glamorous?? didn't really work.

Yes but it was shot on video, in small studios, and didn't have a very big budget. Plus the Crossroads brand was never considered to be glamorous so it never really stood a chance.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,165
    Forum Member
    The only crazy, full of rich people soap i loved was Passions. God i miss that bats**t show :( Juliet Mills as Tabitha was the best.
  • CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    My favourite "glamour" soap ever made is Australia's "Return To Eden" - it was so OTT 80s - big hair, big shoulderpads and ridiculous storylines. Such a shame they don't make things like that now.

They're actually remaking Return to Eden with production due to start next year :)
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    The only crazy, full of rich people soap i loved was Passions. God i miss that bats**t show :( Juliet Mills as Tabitha was the best.

Sunset Beach was pretty funny. I used to stay off school to watch that lol

I'm sure Channel Five offered to part fund it to stop NBC axing it as well.
    Forum Member
    CPW4EVER wrote: »
    They're actually remaking Return to Eden with production due to start next year :)

They're only remaking the miniseries though, not the 22 episode 1986 series which is a shame.
  • NoWireHangersNoWireHangers Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    felixrex wrote: »
    TOWIE isn't a Soap and nobody in it comes within 50 miles of being 'glamorous'

Yeah, this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I tried it as it sounded sort of close to SB but I found it soooo slow. I mean slower than SB and that's saying something. I wish I'd got on with it better
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused: Footballer's Wives was British wasn't it?

Yes but not really a soap. It had soap qualities but it was usually a 10 week series.
  • IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds like Madie in Chelsea, just a few more times a week

Personally I wouldn't watch it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This sounds like Madie in Chelsea, just a few more times a week

Personally I wouldn't watch it

No, think footballers wives or sunset beach.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus made in Chelsea isn't a soap!
  • IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus made in Chelsea isn't a soap!

Never watched Footballers Wives or Sunset Beach :o

That's what I was saying, it sounds like Made In Chelsea, but just 3/4 times a week
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,826
    Forum Member
    I don't think glamour shows work anymore. They had that series about a fictional royal family and it flopped.
  • SOAPYFANSOAPYFAN Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made in Chelsea (even though technically not a soap opera, even though its scripted) is probably the nearest where gonna get at the moment.

Just look at the way its edited, It has the perfect music for both the Previously on and Next Time/Closing Credits.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I've found that 'glamorous' soaps often have to have the 'gritty' side to them too: Whether it be Crossroads, Sunset Beach, Sons & Duaghters etc. They all had the RICH side - but had to show the other side of it too.
    A Truly glamorous soap would be hard to make...it would need a balance of some kind. Or it would get very dreadfully boring wouldn't it old chap? ;)