Options

Metal Detectors. Anybody ever owned one?

Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,831
Forum Member
✭✭
Is it good fun to do? What sort of stuff do you find?

How much does a decent one cost?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never had one - but did have a similar device that was brilliant at finding lego pieces, upturned plugs and random pins, thumb tacks and thorny plants.

also known as my bare feet.
  • Options
    NorthcroftNorthcroft Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    I got one, had it a year and occasionally go out.
    So far found £1.32 and a load of old nails
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought a plastic sort of jobby at a bootsale when the child was young.

We found some cans on the beach, which we could actually see, so it wasn't a great success.

Oh and a couple of beer bottle tops in the garden.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I picture or see people with metal detectors, I always imagine them doing it on a day off from their day job - as train spotters or H+S Experts
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my son one for Christmas once, he used it about twice and it sat in his bedroom cupboard til he left home.

My Grandfather had one and got quite addicted to taking with him for his evening walk on the beach. He mostly found small coins, a couple of bits of jewellery and rubbish. No Roman coins or amazing historical discoveries AFAIR.
    But he became very popular with people looking for lost keys etc lol

My sons wasn't expensive or ultra gadgety, but it did the job. I'd suggest going for a basic model until you know whether or not you are going to get the bug for it.

Link below might be useful...

http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=6
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had one in the 70s at the height of their attraction. I remember taking mine to the beach and the people that owned some little shops on the front used to tell you to clear off! :D
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if you live 2 hours from the coast what sort of places can you take one out to and dig, if you find something?
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good time of year to start, because many fields will soon be freshly ploughed. On no account go to any site that has ancient monument status or you will soon be in a lot of trouble. Ask a local farmer if you can have a go. He probably won't mind if you explain that you're an amateur, but if by some miracle you find a hoard, you'll have to split the proceeds with him.
    It's also a good idea to sweep over a field where a fair has recently been held.

I once bought one from Lidl out of curiosity and was amazed at how much rusty barbed wire there is just under the surface.

I did feel a bit of a prat using it, but through watching Time Team, I started to realise how many of the rusty metal objects I often found in field and ditches as a child might actually have been very much older than I had thought.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had one when I was around 11 years old. It was only a 99 pound one from Maplin. The most interesting thing I found was a tent peg, the vast majority was bottle tops. To be fair I never went anywhere interesting with it though.