Which British soap has the biggest international audience?

NoWireHangersNoWireHangers Posts: 909
Forum Member
✭✭
Firstly are they exported much? I know from having family in Ireland that they are shown over there, I think corrie is probably most popular and I know that corrie is meant to be quite big in canada but I wondered how they all fared internationally.

Comments

• hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie I think,
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most likely Corrie, it has a big Canadian following, and a bit of a following in New Zealand too.
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen American and Canadian posters on here saying Corrie has a huge following in these countries, and some have said Emmerdale's quite popular too. I think Take the High Road used to do very well in countries with lots of Scottish expats and people with scottish ancestry.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the Emmerdale fan club annual get together this weekend and I noticed Nick Miles tweeting about how much he'd enjoyed meeting the Finnish fans.
  • latenightermelatenighterme Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the US, I would say EastEnders.The soap was picked up by public television back in the 80s and has run either on PBS or BBC America since then. Unfortunately, it got too pricey for BBC America, and they dropped it, leaving local PBS stations to carry the torch - but the episodes are years behind.

Corrie had a short run on USA network back in the 80s.

I watch EE, Corrie and Emmerdale online, love them all.:)
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the US, I would say EastEnders.The soap was picked up by public television back in the 80s and has run either on PBS or BBC America since then. Unfortunately, it got too pricey for BBC America, and they dropped it, leaving local PBS stations to carry the torch - but the episodes are years behind.

Which one is your favourite.?
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the Emmerdale fan club annual get together this weekend and I noticed Nick Miles tweeting about how much he'd enjoyed meeting the Finnish fans.

I want to go to a weekend meet up! That sounds like fun :D although that may be taking my liking for ED to a whole new level :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    Which one is your favourite.?

I'm a bit fickle, depends on the storylines.:D

EE probably has my heart because I've watched from the start. It's been through a lot of transition and disjointedness the past few years. Hope it's taking a turn for the better.

Emmerdale has been quite good this year, and I'd say they are my favourite of the three. But that can change.;)
  • evoleevole Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to go to a weekend meet up! That sounds like fun :Dalthough that may be taking my liking for ED to a whole new level :o
    Sounds great, so BIB : me to :o
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The US Cable network that shows EE across Manhattan/New York is only 6 weeks behind the UK. :)
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    EastEnders and Doctors are screened across Europe and the Middle East on BBC Entertainment. I'm not sure about exact figures, but I imagine that being shown in so many different countries would make them popular internationally as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The US Cable network that shows EE across Manhattan/New York is only 6 weeks behind the UK. :)

Wow, that is great! PBS in South Florida is still on the 2005 epis. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Ireland and I'd say Corrie is most popular here.

I know Hollyoaks has an American following and Brazilian fans too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evole wrote: »
    Sounds great, so BIB : me to :o

Can we get a UK one sorted? :D I remember when I was fan of Ashes to Ashes they use to have Christmas nights out and things, it was organised by another forum - in full costume - although we couldn't do that because everyone bar Kerry dresses like a normal person - I always wanted to go to one but never had the bottle to go a. on my own and b. I did think it was a little odd :o I love tele as much as the next person but I don't want to spend all evening talking about it...yes, I see the irony, but maybe they talk about different things as well. I guess I will never know.
  • 80's Gal80's Gal Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie is very popular in Australia. Eastenders and Emmerdale get mucked about in the scheduling quite a bit and are often on at 2 or 3 in the morning. Most expat die hard fans that I know watch their soaps on YouTube instead :)
    I want to go to a weekend meet up! That sounds like fun :D although that may be taking my liking for ED to a whole new level :o

Imagine The Cain Posse all meeting up and going to the Emmerdale Weekend - I think Jeff Hordley might get a bit frightened by us :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80's Gal wrote: »
    Imagine The Cain Posse all meeting up and going to the Emmerdale Weekend - I think Jeff Hordley might get a bit frightened by us :o

I can only imagine the amount of woman who would turn up in a leather jacket ahaha and I doubt he would show up. Personally I would go in my wellies and get a blue overall for the factory and the farm :D
  • MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Coronation Street' I think would have the largest international audience of the UK soaps.

It has a following in Canada. It is on free to air TV in New Zealand and I believe it is well rated there.

In Australia it screens only on cable, but it is the highest rated of the UK soaps on that cable channel. http://www.tvtonight.com.au/category/ratings
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coronation St had a big following among British expats in Australia in the seventies, but as Aus has become less British, its appeal tailed off and it's now on a minor channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Coronation St had a big following among British expats in Australia in the seventies, but as Aus has become less British, its appeal tailed off and it's now on a minor channel.

Yes 'Coronation Street' was in a prime time slot on the Nine Network in Australia in the 1960s and the 1970s.

I think it trailed off in the early/mid 1970s and left Nine. It briefly returned to Nine in the mid 1990s in a daytime slot. (I watched one episode at that time - Kevin had a moustache I recall). Community Network Channel 31 in Melbourne was playing episodes several years old c.2003. It has been on cable since around 1996 - initially in an odd timeslot in one-hour blocks on Arena. (It was a bit out of place on that channel which at the time ran several obscure US dramas, and old cult films like Godzilla, Ed Wood movies, etc.) After Arena revamped its schedule Corrie moved to cable station UK TV where it was joined by 'EastEnders', and later 'Emmerdale' and 'Hollyoaks'. On UK TV Corrie is usually the most popular of these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronation_Street#International_syndication
  • Sisney_HunterSisney_Hunter Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Corrie is huge in Canada.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes 'Coronation Street' was in a prime time slot on the Nine Network in Australia in the 1960s and the 1970s.

I think it trailed off in the early/mid 1970s and left Nine. It briefly returned to Nine in the mid 1990s in a daytime slot. (I watched one episode at that time - Kevin had a moustache I recall). Community Network Channel 31 in Melbourne was playing episodes several years old c.2003. It has been on cable since around 1996 - initially in an odd timeslot in one-hour blocks on Arena. (It was a bit out of place on that channel which at the time ran several obscure US dramas, and old cult films like Godzilla, Ed Wood movies, etc.) After Arena revamped its schedule Corrie moved to cable station UK TV where it was joined by 'EastEnders', and later 'Emmerdale' and 'Hollyoaks'. On UK TV Corrie is usually the most popular of these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronation_Street#International_syndication

Thankyou, I had relatives in Perth who said they were five years behind Britain with the episodes, but the showings on Nine were big with the expats. I think with the British part of the population being overtaken by other nationalities, the soap's popularity fell away and it was moved to UKTV. Also in the nineties soapies became less popular in Aus in general, with series such as A Country Practice being cancelled due to low ratings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has a huge following in Finland although they're a long way behind. Also in Sweden, Germany, Canada, US, Australia and NZ.
  • 80's Gal80's Gal Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Thankyou, I had relatives in Perth who said they were five years behind Britain with the episodes, but the showings on Nine were big with the expats. I think with the British part of the population being overtaken by other nationalities, the soap's popularity fell away and it was moved to UKTV. Also in the nineties soapies became less popular in Aus in general, with series such as A Country Practice being cancelled due to low ratings.

In Australia, programmes that used to be classed as soaps were the American ones which were televised every day like General Hospital, Days of our Lives and The Young and The Restless.

A Country Practice / Sons and Daughters were classed as dramas rather than soaps but in the end were overshadowed by the US dramas which took over Australian TV in the late eighties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80's Gal wrote: »
    In Australia, programmes that used to be classed as soaps were the American ones which were televised every day like General Hospital, Days of our Lives and The Young and The Restless.

A Country Practice / Sons and Daughters were classed as dramas rather than soaps but in the end were overshadowed by the US dramas which took over Australian TV in the late eighties.

'Neighbours' and 'Sons and Daughters' were generally thought of as 'soaps' in Australia.

Things like 'Cop Shop', 'Skyways', 'A Country Practice', 'Carson's Law' were unusual in that, like soaps, they produced 2 hours a week on videotape in the same format as a soap (most footage shot multi-camera format on studio sets, and 'switched' by a vision mixer). However, each week there was a new main self contained story with guest stars. It was like the self contained episodes of a straight weekly drama, except over two episodes. Mixed with these stories there were ongoing dramas of the regular cast: affairs, pregnancies, engagements, etc. So things like 'A Country Practice' were like a drama series/soap hybrid. 'E Street' (1989-1993) started like a drama, but later changed into more a soap.

In any event - most of these types of programs (including the straight soaps like 'Prisoner', 'Sons and Daughters') waned in popularity in the early to mid 1980s. 'A Country Practice' was cancelled in the early 1990s due to declining ratings, though it had had a long run, having started in 1981.
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Corrie is huge in Canada.

I never knew that it was popular in Canada :cool:

I wonder if Canada produces any of its own soaps? or if they just watch Corrie?