Options

Semi Final: Brazil v Germany 08/04 9pm KO

nevadanevada Posts: 1,979
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Germany's odds have shortened following news of Neymar's injury, to the extent that they are now slight favourites with the bookies to progress:

General
Brazil 17/10
Germany 13/8

I don't know what to make of this tie. Before the tournament we were looking at the sides best players Neymar and Reus squaring up. Now neither will be taking part.

Germany are a different side to that of two years ago, who at one point appeared to be charging to the Euro 2012 title. However their (still relatively young) players look assured, even if the margins of victory have been small.

Brazil basically have that home support, a huge benefactor. I'm disappointed in Fernandinho in particular for resorting to the roughhouse tactics when it's clear he is capable of more. And what has happened to Oscar in recent months?

Comments

• Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,024
    Forum Member
    No Sliva and Neymar for Brazil - advantage Germany?

I feel if the Germans get the first goal they can see it out as they did against France.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    It's odd really. So many big teams seem to have gone backwards since Euro 2012. Spain, Italy, Germany and England of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    No Sliva and Neymar for Brazil - advantage Germany?

I feel if the Germans get the first goal they can see it out as they did against France.
    I suppose the difference between Brazil and the other big teams is that Brazil has madcap defenders who will charge forward (often when they shouldn't) and have a shot at goal. That will always give them a chance.
  • Options
    NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    The loss, through his own stupidity, of their captain, Thiago Silva, will be very damaging, perhaps even more so than that of Neymar. In the absence of the only Brazilian defender who even gives the impression of being able to organise a piss up in a brewery, I see Mueller racing to the gold boot. Germany to win 4-1, Mueller to score a hat-trick.
  • Options
    ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately I can't see anything other than a Germany win now.
  • Options
    NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    ellieb123 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't see anything other than a Germany win now.

There are few sides who could deal with such losses at this stage. Take Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton out of the England side and they almost certainly lose the semi-final to Portugal in 1966; take Muller and Beckenbauer out the German side and Holland win the world cup in 1974. And so on.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The home advantage is huge though. Brazil's players will play to they drop.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Well if Brazil lose don't expect the Semi the following day to go ahead as I think the Riots will be so severe Fifa will have to postpone or cancel all the following matches for safety grounds if they are even stadiums existing.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering both countries record remarkably this will be only the second time they've met each other in the World Cup.
  • Options
    abcdabcd Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people keep writing brazil off, dante is more than capable of covering for silva, neymar has been playing with an injury for the last couple of games and been nowhere near his best, brazil argentina final is still the most likely match
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abcd wrote: »
    people keep writing brazil off, dante is more than capable of covering for silva, neymar has been playing with an injury for the last couple of games and been nowhere near his best, brazil argentina final is still the most likely match

Brazil weren't going to beat Germany with or without Neymar and Thiago Silva.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    The home advantage is huge though. Brazil's players will play to they drop.

Or until they get the referee to sort out their disadvantage. The lack of bookings for them throughout the tournament has been a joke.
    They dive as thought it's a national sport and foul without recrimination.

Anyone but Brazil to win it for me, this is not the Brazilian football that we have come to love over the years.

As for the final not taking place? I think that is a little extreme!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    Or until they get the referee to sort out their disadvantage. The lack of bookings for them throughout the tournament has been a joke.
    They dive as thought it's a national sport and foul without recrimination.

Anyone but Brazil to win it for me, this is not the Brazilian football that we have come to love over the years.

As for the final not taking place? I think that is a little extreme!
    Brazil is a pressure tube ready to explode. All the protestors have only been brought off with the promise Brazil will win. If Brazil lose expect the riots to kick off bigger than any seen before in Brazil with these problems. A general strike is planned in the event of Brazil losing I believe.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    Brazil weren't going to beat Germany with or without Neymar and Thiago Silva.

This. I could never see Brazil winning this one. Germany will easily walk over them to the final. The only team I predict can stop Germany is Holland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    This. I could never see Brazil winning this one. Germany will easily walk over them to the final. The only team I predict can stop Germany is Holland.
    The Germany that struggled to contain Ghana, Algeria and the USA. The only times they've looked any good is when the opposition has given up - Portugal and France. Yes, Germany have been party poopers before but not this time.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    The Germany that struggled to contain Ghana, Algeria and the USA. The only times they've looked any good is when the opposition has given up - Portugal and France. Yes, Germany have been party poopers before but not this time.

They didn't want to win big against USA in case you hadn't noticed and they clearly underestimated both Ghana and Algeria who both played extremely well and had great managers who prepared them perfectly. I can't see this very weak Brazil team with Scolari win against Germany hungry for their first title in 20 years. Germany will rip Brazil apart.
  • Options
    abcdabcd Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    They didn't want to win big against USA in case you hadn't noticed and they clearly underestimated both Ghana and Algeria who both played extremely well and had great managers who prepared them perfectly. I can't see this very weak Brazil team with Scolari win against Germany hungry for their first title in 20 years. Germany will rip Brazil apart.

ive been hearing this every round of the knockouts, so far chile and columbia have failed to live up to peoples predictions
    Germany have ripped no one apart except an extremely poor portugal who were reduced to 10 men very early on
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that we could be seeing a Brazil v Argentina....... 3rd place match.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    For the good of football, Germany have to win - and I think they will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have a feeling that we could be seeing a Brazil v Argentina....... 3rd place match.
    Cant see that match happening on safety grounds if bad riots have occurred because a virtually pointless match between two countries who hate one another would be a recipe for disaster if major riots have occurred and safety can't be assured. And the Risk of a further Brazil loss I could actually imagine causing Brazil to forfeit the game on the orders of the president( and I think Fifa would agree because of their image).
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    What a strange poster. You're obsessed with riots. :confused:
  • Options
    SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    Considering both countries record remarkably this will be only the second time they've met each other in the World Cup.

That is quite the stat.

Astonishing also that since 1950 on only 3 occasions has the World Cup Final not involved either Brazil or Germany/West Germany. In 1978, 2006, and 2010.

With one or the other progressing this time it will mean 14 of the last 17 World Cup Finals has involved either country with 2002 being the only time they met each other.
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with this statement.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    Cant see that match happening on safety grounds if bad riots have occurred because a virtually pointless match between two countries who hate one another would be a recipe for disaster if major riots have occurred and safety can't be assured. And the Risk of a further Brazil loss I could actually imagine causing Brazil to forfeit the game on the orders of the president( and I think Fifa would agree because of their image).

Really??

I cannot see your scenario happening, but there we go.

The third place match will take place, and if I am right in the two teams that will contest it, Brazil will finish fourth, as Argentina will beat them.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I also agree with this statement.

Brazil did not play football in their last game, it was brutal.