Mobile phones bills

alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
Forum Member
I don't know if this is me being old and unaware of the way the world of mobile phone bills works but thought I'd tell people what has happened to me and invite observations.

Last autumn I was contacted by Vodaphone the network my mobile is on and invited to change my deal to one which would be cheaper and suited me more as I am not a great mobile user either for phoning or texting.

In the 6 months or so since that I have noticed the monthly bankers order to Vodaphone seems a bit more (I do not receive itemised paper bills) so today i went to the local Vodaphone shop and said I was unhappy hoping that perhaps i could change the deal or even go really hi tec and get an iphone or blackberry which a lot of my friends have.

The man in the shop pointed out some of the reasons why my bill was higher than I wanted it to be - the 2 biggest factors were 0800 numbers I had rung but mainly a company who had texted me inviting me to join in a prize draw for £25000.

Re the 0800 numbers this was a couple of times I have rung my bank from work at lunchtime. I had the impression that these calls to my bank were free - he told me that yes from my land line at home they were but on the mobile they cost me. This was news to me - moral of story do not ring bank from my mobile, do it from home on my land line.

Then the text re the prize draw - I have no recollection of ever opting into this but when they come I just open them but then ignore them not even answering the simple question to enter myself in the draw. It seems tho that last month for instance even doing this cost me £15 which is shocking - has this happened to anyone else? Was the Vodaphone man telling me the whole truth there? Anyway I have now opted out of the prize draws and will have no further texts on that sent which will save me £15 per month and also I will not ring the bank on the mobile so I will reduce my bill so the visit to the shop did have some benefits

But he also told me that I was locked into a contact and could not get an iphone or anything like that until that contract finished. It was for 18 months and I still have another 12 to go so for another year i am stuck with a rather old fashioned phone - not that it bothers me that much as I am not someone who is joined at the hip to my mobile like many but even so it does seem somewhat unfair. He did suggest I ring up and get Vodaphone to reduce it to a 12 month deal as that is what they usually are which means I will only have to be on it for another 6 months but that was the best he could offer.

Anybody who knows more about mobiles than me want to comment?

Comments

• Butcher BillButcher Bill Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan man it's 11 o'clock on a friday night.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member

I'll go back to ther football thread where I belong and look on here again in 24 hours and see if anyone has said anything.

You're right really Bill I know, its not the time for such a discussion!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D
    Alan, I'd say go Pay As You Go. Less stress.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, wow.

What was supposed to be your original monthly bill? I thought £15 was the cheapest tariff that Vodafone did!?

Anyway, I'm not sure how to tell you to switch to the iPhone. Would you need to buy out the contract before you terminate it...?
    Perhaps ask them to change the sim to a microsim one and buy an unlocked iPhone?

I can confirm that 0800 numbers are not free from mobiles. Are you sure you never texted to enter that competition? It's quite random that they'd find you...

I agree with above... just ask them to switch to Pay As You Go. lol
  • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Contracts are the devil.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    Well, wow.

What was supposed to be your original monthly bill? I thought £15 was the cheapest tariff that Vodafone did!?

Anyway, I'm not sure how to tell you to switch to the iPhone. Would you need to buy out the contract before you terminate it...?
    Perhaps ask them to change the sim to a microsim one and buy an unlocked iPhone?

I can confirm that 0800 numbers are not free from mobiles. Are you sure you never texted to enter that competition? It's quite random that they'd find you...

I agree with above... just ask them to switch to Pay As You Go. lol

Not true.

True for most networks, but on giffgaff all 0800 number are as they should be - free.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately you are stuck in a contract.......The best you can do is talk to Vodafone and see what they can do. It always amazes me that the muppets in the shops can never do anything to help after they sell you the contract....
    Not all mobile companies charge for 0800 calls. Once your contract is up PAYG would be the best route for you. Contracts can be a real pain, If you don't need, or, can afford to buy the latest/phone you want, stay clear IMO.
    Good luck with your phone call....
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Some (maybe all) banks have a non 0845 number so that they can be called from overseas. If you drop the +44 and change it to 0 it should be charged to your free minutes. HSBC's overseas number is on the top left at the back of their debit and credit cards
  • Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not true.

True for most networks, but on giffgaff all 0800 number are as they should be - free.

I use my minutes to pay for my calls to 0800 shame most are now 0845
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want an alternative none 0870 etc number then use saynoto0870.com. I've used it for years and it's great.

Years ago on PAYG on Vodaphone some company started texting me and charged me £2.50 for each one. I didn't recall texting them either, not for that price about stuff I wasn't interested in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention I got wierd calls and texts from a mobile phone in Dubai and I calls tmobile and they said had I answered any it would have cost me £15.00 connection fee. These calls were coming in all the time, I received 26 in one day. I had to change my number after that.