Options

Why no League Show tonight?

barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yet again, just because there aren't any Premiership games, the BBC seems to forget that there are just as many games as usual taking place in the Football League. There are far more real supporters of clubs in the lower leagues, rather than those so-called supporters of Premiership clubs, who never get closer to their chosen team than whichever local pub shows the game on Sky.

If anything, this should be a chance to expand the coverage of some of the best games, rather than restricting many of them to ten-second clips.

Comments

• Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    There are far more real supporters of clubs in the lower leagues, rather than those so-called supporters of Premiership clubs, who never get closer to their chosen team than whichever local pub shows the game on Sky.

How did I know that something like this was going to be said? This lower league superiority thing is getting old.

Anfield stadium is only a couple miles away from me. Besides early rounds in cups and friendlies/testimonials, do you have any idea how difficult it is to get to a game? I'm not a season ticket holder, and even with that there's a huge waiting list. Getting a ticket as a non-season ticket holder is near impossible.

But I've been to plenty of games and I've spent A LOT of money on Liverpool over the years so I'm far from a "fake supporter".
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are far more real supporters of clubs in the lower leagues, rather than those so-called supporters of Premiership clubs, who never get closer to their chosen team than whichever local pub shows the game on Sky.

Would you like some salt for those chips?
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What utter rubbish.

The BBC decided that these "fans" are massive snobs and act like they have a bad smell under their nose they would rest the programme for a week to give them a chance to remove the stick that is up their ar*e
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet again, just because there aren't any Premiership games, the BBC seems to forget that there are just as many games as usual taking place in the Football League.

There are no Championship games and fewer League 1 games being played, so there are fewer Football League games today.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Factually incorrect.

The bigger Premier League clubs regularly take 2-3,000 supporters to away games.

Several lower-league clubs don't get many more than that for a home game.

If there really were 'far more real supporters' of lower-league clubs, then I suspect that the BBC would be showing the games, tonight.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are plenty of supporters in the Premier League teams that just so happen to have their local team in the Premier League.
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet again, just because there aren't any Premiership games, the BBC seems to forget that there are just as many games as usual taking place in the Football League. There are far more real supporters of clubs in the lower leagues, rather than those so-called supporters of Premiership clubs, who never get closer to their chosen team than whichever local pub shows the game on Sky.

If anything, this should be a chance to expand the coverage of some of the best games, rather than restricting many of them to ten-second clips.

When the BBC started the FLS in the 2009-10 season, there were editions of the programme shown during international windows, down to the fact that a selected 3pm League 1 game was shown live overseas, therefore they could show extended highlights later on that evening (similar to the Championship on a full Saturday programme). However, the showing of a live 3pm L1 game overseas during international breaks was stopped at the end of the 2012-13 season, therefore there has been no FLS on those particular weekends since then. Also, Manish did state at the end of the 4th October programme that "there will be no edition of the FLS next week (11th October), due to the international break".
    TheMunch wrote: »
    How did I know that something like this was going to be said? This lower league superiority thing is getting old.

Anfield stadium is only a couple miles away from me. Besides early rounds in cups and friendlies/testimonials, do you have any idea how difficult it is to get to a game? I'm not a season ticket holder, and even with that there's a huge waiting list. Getting a ticket as a non-season ticket holder is near impossible.

But I've been to plenty of games and I've spent A LOT of money on Liverpool over the years so I'm far from a "fake supporter".

Another thing to consider is that fans like TheMunch, who have historically followed their team up and down the country, are now priced out of going to games, even if tickets were available.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Another thing to consider is that fans like TheMunch, who have historically followed their team up and down the country, are now priced out of going to games, even if tickets were available.

The ironic thing is that as well as the cost of going to games (and it is massive), the main thing getting in the way of tickets is availability because the games are always sold out or the availability's very limited. So fans of Premier League clubs aren't real fans because they don't go to games but they don't go to games because too many people are going to those games.

Another problem is priority rights and points system. I can't go to a certain game unless I've gone to a certain number of games, meaning I'd have to spend hundreds going to other games just to spend another £50-£60 (or more for finals) to go to a game. I'm not completely against rewarding regular customers or anything but it makes things difficult.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting in closer proximity to the kind of people who think 'real supporter' is only something you can claim when you're in the doldrums is one of the drawbacks of dropping down two divisions since I've started supporting. Admittedly, it's way down the list of drawbacks.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    March International Break, there will be a FLS show, when the games in the League 1/2 become crucial, the tables mean nothing at the moment, I guess you can find the Goals from the weekend if you try, the Sky Sports website, Sky's Saturday Evening goals package, the FL Review show.

Bristol City being top though is good
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    March International Break, there will be a FLS show, when the games in the League 1/2 become crucial, the tables mean nothing at the moment, I guess you can find the Goals from the weekend if you try, the Sky Sports website, Sky's Saturday Evening goals package, the FL Review show.

Bristol City being top though is good

Will there? I wouldn't bet on it!

Oh, and I won't comment on the last sentence!:D