Options

Moments of great soap acting that have wowed you.

Comments

• Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Emmett Scanlan in later. There has only been 2 other actors i've ever seen that provoked that same reaction from me out of every film and tv show i've ever watched. He's incredibly gifted.

Ashley Taylor Dawson is an unsung hero of Hollyoaks. He's so incredible in emotional scenes (and funny scenes). Its hard to chose one but I think after Nancy lost the baby and he trashed the Dog, he didn't even need lines he just nailed it with his face. Really he's been stunning in so many scenes like that, Steph's death and dealing with Hannah's anorexia for example.

I think Claire Cooper as well, she just totally commits and is so believable. How she has never won an award, I don't know.

Matt Littler's death scene as Max was really well acted from all involved, particuarly him and Carly Stenson. Honestly still can't think about it without crying.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much everyone during the Tony reveal episode in Eastenders but weirdly, although Patsy Palmer and Shona McGarty were great, I remember being really blown away by how good Diane Parish was in the few short scenes she had that episode, I think they were with Lucas?

Jackie Woodburn when Susan found out that Izzy was pregnant and also during the MS episode in the shopping mall.

Jessica Fox and Kevin Sacre when Jake tries to force himself upon Nancy on their wedding day, that scene gives me goosebumps even now.

Karen Hassan during the Silas 'Halloween Week' episodes
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jacqui rape and aftermath of Rhys death
    Brendan in HO Later
    Lynsay/Silas scenes
    Claire Devine SL
    Nancy/Darren losing their baby and Oscar.
    Hannah anorexio, gets taken away

EE
    Denise/Lucas. Denise/Owen
    Zainab/ Yusef + reveal of evil Yusef
    Carol and Billie death

CS
    Carla rape
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blanche @ the AA meeting, ripping in to all the Barlows !! :D
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    aspijack wrote: »
    Anthony cotton when he found out about Marcus and Maria

seconded
  • Options
    EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also loved Lacey Turner in bipolar storyline
  • Options
    SophiaK70SophiaK70 Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    Jessie Wallace in "You aint my muvva"

Kat may be a shadow of her former self now but she'll ALWAYS be famous for that week.

Jessie played a complete blinder.

That was one of the best weeks in television ever IMO.

AGREE AGREE AGREE

the whole story about the man in the moon also

she was kind of telling her dad that if she could see the moon she would be ok, and she used to look at the moon when harry was raping her, and the moon didnt do anything

and then charlie and kat believed that this man in the moon fallicy was basically kat been let down by 'the man in the moon' which is her dad

also i dont care what anyone says when given the right material patsy palmer can act out of town, in any interview i read the majority of eastenders and non ee stars have commented on how moved they are from her performances
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlotte Bellamy was utterly flawless in the episode of Daniel's death. I think it's the best performance I've ever seen on a soap.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks - Emmett Scanlan in the last episode of Hollyoaks Later, when he discovered his beloved grandmother had known all along that his father was sexually abusing him when he was a child and she had done nothing about it - just extraordinary.
    EastEnders - Lindsey Coulson as Carol Jackson when Billie died.
    EastEnders - Lacey Turner as Stacey Slater when she was sectioned.
    Brookside - Anna Friel as Beth Jordache when she came home to find her mother lying, battered, on the living-room floor and then went upstairs and saw her abusive father and her younger sister asleep in her sister's bed - so chilling.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say i ever think of great acting when it comes to soaps.
    I find the 'emotional stuff' is too often ott, with Stacey Slater being a prime example.
    Put that stuff on a movie screen and it woluld come across as gurning.
  • Options
    ameewameew Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Phil Mitchell's scenes last night were very good and Jay's in Eastenders , when he was begging Billy not to turn his back on him , were some of the best acting I've seen most recently. Jean Slaters struggle with bipolar has been very well deone in the past,especially when interacting with Sean and Stacey.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    aspijack wrote: »
    Anthony cotton when he found out about Marcus and Maria

Just about the most embarrassing examples of Ms Cotton's "acting" that it has ever been my misfortune to witness. :eek:
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cain and Charity's confrontation in the hotel room, about a year a half ago, in Emmerdale. It covered everything from humour to violence, and both characters really opened up to each other and tried to figure out whether they could make their relationship work.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ED - Much of Jasmine post-Shane.

Unsurprisingly.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without a doubt it has to be Janine and Pat's "goodbye" on her deathbed.
    I had the flu watching this so my emotions were already unstable, so watching this scene sent me into a complete blubbering wreck:o
  • Options
    CRP2012CRP2012 Posts: 2,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlotte Bellamy was utterly flawless in the episode of Daniel's death. I think it's the best performance I've ever seen on a soap.

Agreed - shame shes been brainwashed into loving maurel

- Pam St. Clement in her last episode
    - Jesse Wallace/Michelle Ryan in the YOU AINT MY MUVVVAA!!!!

( & Of cause noahs door knocking in HO ;))
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlotte Bellamy is definitely a terrific actress lumbered with a terrible storyline.
  • Options
    maggiekmaggiek Posts: 2,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Nana Moon in Normandy. I was a puddle.

*Bet & Rita's cat-fight when Rita realized The Rovers wouldn't be a good investment.

*Ethel's last hurrah in the Queen Vic (just before she'd died).

*Jack Duckworth's death (especially the scene when Vera appeared). Yet, the scenes in the Rovers were good, too!

*Peggy reading aloud her note from Frank (leaving her for Pat) in the Qn Vic.

*Bianca telling Carol that Billy had died (some stellar acting from Patsy Palmer there!).

*Laurel upon the death of her "son" in Emmerdale. Also a puddle there, too.

Just to mention a few.....:)
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    What a great thread!

Janine and Pat on Pat's deathbed.
    Michael after Scarlet was born.
    Syed telling Zainab he was gay and in love with Christian.
    Phil saying good bye to Heather, and apologizing for treating her so badly. So unexpected too, and I know I wasn't the only one shocked/teary-eyed at seeing that.
    ^^^ Actually, Steve blew me away with Jay last night too. So that scene gets added to the list.
    Jack Duckworth's death.
    Vera Duckworth's death.
    Mike and Audrey at Alma's death. Although everyone involved in those scenes were brilliant.
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,735
    Forum Member
    Kate Ritchie in just about every storyline she had on Home and Away but in particular when Alf knocked Pippa down and the scenes that followed in particular one on the beach with Leah when she broke down saying Alf had been her security blanket for the past 20 years and had always trusted him and now that was gone.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVERY scene that EVER contained Ms Helen Flannagan. I was always like, "WOW, she is really sh!t at acting."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    Jessie Wallace in "You aint my muvva"

Kat may be a shadow of her former self now but she'll ALWAYS be famous for that week.

Jessie played a complete blinder.

That was one of the best weeks in television ever IMO.

This was the one i remember still, cried buckets:cry:
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    EVERY scene that EVER contained Ms Helen Flannagan. I was always like, "WOW, she is really sh!t at acting."

She wasn't even acting...just playing herself:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chelsea Halfpenny when Amy was saying goodbye to Kyle i was an emotional wreck watching that she just mesmerized me with that performance!

Lacey Turner when Stacey finally gave in and knew she couldn't look after Jean that whole week with her was outstanding!
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    She wasn't even acting...just playing herself:o

True, but... badly!!! :eek::D