Options

Transsexual, 44, elects to die by euthanasia after botched sex-change operation

goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Transsexual, 44, elects to die by euthanasia after botched sex-change operation turned him into a 'monster'.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2440086/Belgian-elects-die-euthanasia-botched-sex-change-operation-left-monster.html

:(

Comments

• Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    That's horrific. The poor man should have been helped, not killed :(
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like his expectations were far too high. What was he hoping for? Completely scarless surgery?

His psychological issues clearly weren't dealt with properly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely devastating story. My heart goes out to this poor soul and I wish there had been a way to help them.
  • Options
    JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello again, Mailbot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    They forgot to mention how much his house was worth and if he had a job.
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor bloke.

I wish these operations could be made illegal. People like him need psychological help, not mutilation.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Poor bloke.

I wish these operations could be made illegal. People like him need psychological help, not mutilation.

It went wrong and he could not cope with that - many trans people consider that surgery saves their lives. Making that illegal and forcing them to have psychological help that has been shown, over and over again to have no effect, is not the answer.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    That's horrific. The poor man should have been helped, not killed :(

Perhaps he was helped?
  • Options
    JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol, here we go...
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Whats more shocking is nearly 1 in 50 die by this method!
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats more shocking is nearly 1 in 50 die by this method!

Not really. It demonstrates that a lot of people wish to die with dignity.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Am I missing something?

He must have had some very serious underlying mental health issues to want to terminate his life based on that.

Frankly, I am astounded that he was allowed to die in these circumstances.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horrific. Both how he must have felt and the fact that Euthanasia was seen to be the best option.

Unrelated note, why is the OP inactive they only posted this under an hour ago...
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Justicar wrote: »
    Hello again, Mailbot.
    Well spotted;)
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Must say, it seems like an awful lot of transsexuals seem to have mental health issues.

I dunno if they start off that way and are coached to get through the psychological screenings prior to the op' but then left to their own devices afterwards or whether they develop these issues afterwards as a result of dissatisfaction with the results or due to having second thoughts about their actions.
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you get one life and he blew it!...
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the most shocking piece of this article is that legislation is being passed to give under 18's the right to euthanasia. That is horrifying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the most shocking piece of this article is that legislation is being passed to give under 18's the right to euthanasia. That is horrifying.

That is truly shocking. And evil.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor bloke.

That would absolutely be a nonsensical thing to do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor bloke.

Really? You think that without the op he'd have a happy and long life? :confused:
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Extremely sad story, sorry for his family and friends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    Really? You think that without the op he'd have a happy and long life? :confused:

Nobody is guaranteed a happy life. This seems to be an expectation for many people for some reason.

Imo people should not be given this kind of operation. They should work with a psychiatrist to resolve their problems.
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody is guaranteed a happy life. This seems to be an expectation for many people for some reason.

Imo people should not be given this kind of operation. They should work with a psychiatrist to resolve their problems.

Forget it, it wouldn't work.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I fully understand the story :o

He was allowed to have a doctor kill him why?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Sounds like his expectations were far too high. What was he hoping for? Completely scarless surgery?

His psychological issues clearly weren't dealt with properly.
    The harsh truth is that sometimes 'psychological issues' can't be dealt with.
    Poor bloke.

Why on earth would you wish that an operation that gives enormous relief to people who get it should be made illegal because the papers have demonstrated that in one case it didn't?
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Must say, it seems like an awful lot of transsexuals seem to have mental health issues.

I dunno if they start off that way and are coached to get through the psychological screenings prior to the op'
    People are surely likely to suffer depression if they feel that their bodies are fundamentally wrong, and this will be hugely compounded if they suffer prejudice and rejection. The suicide rate among transgender people who are rejected by their families is terribly high.

Who on earth are you to lay down the law about how people should address their problems? If people can feel relieved and stabilised via medical treatment, then that is what they should be offered. How insulting to suggest that they should 'resolve' their needs by denying them when they could be offered a solution instead. Do you say the same about gay people - that if they 'worked to resolve their problems' with a psychiatrist, they would be nice and straight afterwards?

I notice that in the comments underneath, some sensible and some moronic, someone posted
    Two truly colossal assumptions are at work here. 1) Your life is your own to do with as you please & not the gift of your Creator. 2) Death represents the end of your suffering. How blind we have become!

To which another person, speaking on behalf of the entire world, posted:
    Oh be quiet.