Comments

• Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24372224

RIP

He has written some very good novels.

Yes he did.

Hunt for the Red October, Red Storm Rising and Cardinal of the Kremlin was fantastic books.
  • BonymoroniBonymoroni Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    :( Love his books.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not very old at all. I did enjoy the few novels I wrote, they were all very similar but well written.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He could tell a good story and he combined that with indepth technical knowledge of the subject matter. Very good author.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Blimey! :eek:

Seems like I've been reading his books forever and the picture on the dust-jacket was always a grizzled old bear of a guy, staring off into the distance, so it's amazing to find he was only 66 years old.

It's easy to dismiss a lot of his work as formulaic and contrived but he really wrote the book (pun intended) on how to write detailed, realistic, military adventure novels.
    Guys like Clive Cussler and Wilbur Smith were really writing Boys Own comic-fiction when Clancy appeared on the scene and showed them how much better it could be done.

Plane journeys won't be the same without his new best-seller to pass the time. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read all his books. What a sad loss. So young as well:(
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Blimey! :eek:

Seems like I've been reading his books forever and the picture on the dust-jacket was always a grizzled old bear of a guy, staring off into the distance, so it's amazing to find he was only 66 years old.

It's easy to dismiss a lot of his work as formulaic and contrived but he really wrote the book (pun intended) on how to write detailed, realistic, military adventure novels.
    Guys like Clive Cussler and Wilbur Smith were really writing Boys Own comic-fiction when Clancy appeared on the scene and showed them how much better it could be done.

Plane journeys won't be the same without his new best-seller to pass the time. :(

I'd argue that Craig Thomas's "Firefox", written in 1977, was the first techno-thriller, although I'd also make a case for Geoffrey Jenkins' 1966 novel "Hunter Killer" - one of the first 'adult' books I ever read.