How many of you actually turned The Royle Family off last night?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Royle Family Christmas 'specials' have been rubbish from the start. It seemed that Aherne and Cash (the so-called writers) hit on a formula for these shows, which consisted of pulling out odd bits from previous programmes that had gone down well, sticking them together with cellotape, and calling them a 'Special'.

Well, the first one was rubbish, and they haven't got any better.

The only ones having a laugh are Aherne and Cash - skipping off to the bank with our (licence-payers') money to the tune of what? £50K, or more, per show?

If you haven't watched this year's - here's a tip. Don't bother.

A
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The beginning was good and the end was quite moving, but the Joe bit in the middle was pathetic. Dave has no got learning disabilities now it seems or has become Malcolm from Mrs Merton. I nearly turned it off but stuck it out til the bitter end.

If they'd cut Joe out of it it would have been okay.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loon wrote: »
    I stayed with it but did glaze over at the Joe's dating scenes......

Same here, I thought this was like a bizarre dream sequence in a movie, definitely not part of the show I've loved from the start!

And not even mentioning Anthony and his girlfriend was just ridiculous, as was the kids' absence! Part of the appeal of this show for me was the believability of it all and being thankful you're not them! :) But this really was not a good episode at all, even the jokes were lame, like a four-pack of polo mints given as a Christmas present, and Dave's "dicky" was just cringemaking!

I also missed Cheryl, but at least she got mentioned, unlike poor Anthony! :(
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It's one of those 'modern greats' that i've never watched. The only time I have seen it is clips from chat shows, clip shows or award shows.

Ditto, had a quick look a few times when it first started and never watched it since. Also can't stand either Aherne or Tomlinson.
  • cressida100cressida100 Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biggest load of rubbish on over Christmas I'm embarassed to say my family and I watched it for about 20 minutes until someone had the guts to say 'turn this bloody crap off' :D

Went completely downhill after nanna 'died'. :cry:
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Ditto, had a quick look a few times when it first started and never watched it since. Also can't stand either Aherne or Tomlinson.

I can't stand Tomlinson or that fake 'laugh' he does. He makes my skin crawl.
    I thought Aherne was good in The Fast Show and as Mrs Merton, but that's about all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Not sure how much you can blame Ricky Tomlinson (or Sue Johnston for that matter). Except that as reasonable actors they should hold out for decent scripts!

It's down to Aherne and Cash, and of course the gutless producers who should ALSO refuse to work with such shite.

Seems that once you've got a reputation, like Aherne and Cash, you can scribble any old tosh and charge large sums for it.

A
  • fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    felixrex wrote: »
    I didn't bother watching. I saw the last two Christmas Specials and realised this wasn't the same show it used to be anymore. After seeing the advert with Dave's stupid diatribe about the corned-beef key, I suspected it would be much the same as the last few specials and I really wasn't interested.

It used to be a very subtle, observational comedy, which wasn't so much about giving you big old belly-laughs, but about making you titter because you recognised almost every character in it as somebody you knew. Now, like many good comedies, it's become a parody of itself and every character has become a total caricature. Dave and Denise have gone from believably daft to so bloody deficient they'd be in an institution if they were real people.

It's completely lost the essence of what it originally was and now plays for cheap, obvious laughs. It's a farce now, and, sadly, they seem to be quite happy with that. What a shame.

Perfect.
  • Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here, I thought this was like a bizarre dream sequence in a movie, definitely not part of the show I've loved from the start!

And not even mentioning Anthony and his girlfriend was just ridiculous, as was the kids' absence! Part of the appeal of this show for me was the believability of it all and being thankful you're not them! :) But this really was not a good episode at all, even the jokes were lame, like a four-pack of polo mints given as a Christmas present, and Dave's "dicky" was just cringemaking!

I also missed Cheryl, but at least she got mentioned, unlike poor Anthony! :(

Anthony still in the titles though, it was dire, cash & aherne have flogged the horse to death, I will be surprised if it returns.
  • TheWayItIsTheWayItIs Posts: 4,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand Tomlinson or that fake 'laugh' he does. He makes my skin crawl.
    I thought Aherne was good in The Fast Show and as Mrs Merton, but that's about all

I'm not sure what's worse about Tomlinson:
    his lumpy plasticine nose or his gummy mouth, complete with tiny milk teeth.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You lot are all sad miserable ***s!,

it was probably the pick of the Xmas evening schedules, a program that all the family could have a laugh at with an apt ending.

Maybe you lot should have stuck with Keith Lemon, now that is funny - not!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't yet see it yet, but after the episode where Nana died, the quality became ridiculous

Such awful writing, the characters doing things that are very out of character and the amazing chemistry is no longer there.
  • fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keicar wrote: »

it was probably the pick of the Xmas evening schedules, a program that all the family could have a laugh at with an apt ending.

This says it all.
    I must add that I am being a tad sarcastic and will add a smiling face to prove it:)
  • TheWayItIsTheWayItIs Posts: 4,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also add that Craig Cash can't act his way out of a paper bag.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You lot are all sad miserable ***s!, it was probably the pick of the Xmas evening schedules, a program that all the family could have a laugh at with an apt ending.

Oh really, perhaps you think it's funny to insult those of us who can see what a downward spiral the show has taken since its beginnings. It was toe curlingly bad..that scene with Barbara finding the drill down the back of the sofa....utterly ridiculous and not remotely funny.Oh and don't tell me what programmes I should stick with..that's plain rude as is the language at the beginning of your post.:mad:
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

100% Agree with you.. These people seem to get a delight out of picking a programme to bits.
    Why watch it? They obviously had no intention of enjoying it when they switched it on.
    I loved the Royal Family, it was a Christmas highlight for me and my family..
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I for one thought the Joe bits were quite funny. It was the erectile dysfunction gags that I found inappropriate for an Xmas day episode.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh really, perhaps you think it's funny to insult those of us who can see what a downward spiral the show has taken since its beginnings. It was toe curlingly bad..that scene with Barbara finding the drill down the back of the sofa....utterly ridiculous and not remotely funny.Oh and don't tell me what programmes I should stick with..that's plain rude as is the language at the beginning of your post.:mad:

Maybe if you didn't take yourself so seriously, you might be able to laugh at something light hearted like this.

As far as the drill goes, remember this isn't an episode of The Killing, or indeed a soap opera, its a comedy, in which artistic licence never goes amiss, did you pick holes in the plots of Laurel and Hardy films as well?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching years ago when I realised all the lines were a variation of,

"Aww, I love <insert food item> , me!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's lazy lazy writing. Their repeating of dialogue is pathetic,
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave it half an hour or so. That was more than enough. Craig Cash school of acting dumb = say words slowly. That's it.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm another who didn't bother watching it. As others have said, it has been very poor since the episode when Nana died. The last one I saw was the dire caravan one, that was enough for me.
    I didn't even switch it on because I can't stand it. I have hated it from the instant I saw the very first episode (whenever THAT was)

You should give it a go. You might like it now, because it's nothing like it was in the beginning.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never found it funny, although I've watched a lot of episodes because it was supposed to be one of the funniest sit-coms on the box. In the end I gave up, as I just found it boring and coarse.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I watched it all but my god I wish I hadn't bothered. Terrible, It barely raised a smile in this house, whereas we were always big fans. Very disappointed.
  • Mr ApplebeeMr Applebee Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Gald I'm not the only one, I was actually cringing with embarrassment.