Hannibal (NBC)

Comments

• Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shows on premium cable can be more explicit and contain swearing. Creators are given complete freedom, so shows are often brave and incredibly adult, though networks tend to like sex - This is anything on HBO, Cinemax,Showtime, Starz (so this is Game of Thrones, Girls, Veep, Banshee, Transporter: The Series, Strike Back, Homeland, Dexter, Episodes, Spartacus plus a few others)

Shows on normal cable can contain quite a bit of strong violence, moderate amounts of sex, drug use and mild swearing, such as "shit", though stronger language may be bleeped. Shows tend to be more risky and a bit braver creatively. Examples include The Walking Dead, Suits, American Horror Story, Wilfred.

Shows on network TV can contain no swearing unless it's beeped, some moderate violence and gore and very little sex. Shows tend to be, but are not always, incredibly safe, as creative freedom is restricted. Examples include CSI, Family Guy, The Following

Pretty much spot on although network TV do have a bit more freedom than they used to. For instance they do allow minor swear words (and variations of it) on their shows. Nothing strong like the "F" word - or even "S" - but they get around that at times by "bleeping" it out (I believe "The Office" did this a few times). A lot has changed in the last 10 years. Also some network TV shows do allow over the top violence. For instance I'm a huge fan of the show "Supernatural" and I'm amazed with what they get away with; decapitations, buckets of blood, exploding bodies, etc. They have been doing this for 8 years now. :D

So it really varies and that's what so strange about Network TV. There are rules but they're allowed to go around it at times. The one thing that they won't show on a network is nudity. That hasn't changed at all although they did experiment with that back in the 1990s when NYPD BLUE was on the air. They did it a few times and then put a stop to it. Wasn't a big deal either since the brief nude scenes added nothing to the show anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I watched it the other night and i don't really know what to think about it. It was "okay" and i'll definitely watch the rest of the series because i'm a Lecter fan in general, but i wasn't overly impressed, although if the advanced critics reviews are anything to go by it sounds like it gets better as it goes along. The guy playing Will Graham wasn't very good though, he just seemed to be trying to be overly awkward but seemed borderline autistic which i can see getting quite irritating, i did like his "reverse murder" sense though. It was surprisingly violent for a network show too i thought, with this and The Following it seems as though networks are pushing the violence as far as they can without making the FCC cry.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else have problems understanding what lector was saying sometimes?

On a whole it gripped me and chilled me, nice direction they have gone down!

It's like elementary with a blatant twist, very cool!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    Pretty much spot on although network TV do have a bit more freedom than they used to. For instance they do allow minor swear words (and variations of it) on their shows. Nothing strong like the "F" word - or even "S" - but they get around that at times by "bleeping" it out (I believe "The Office" did this a few times). A lot has changed in the last 10 years. Also some network TV shows do allow over the top violence. For instance I'm a huge fan of the show "Supernatural" and I'm amazed with what they get away with; decapitations, buckets of blood, exploding bodies, etc. :D

Family Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland Show do that quite frequently (the unbleeped versions are available on DVD), although they've been getting away with more swearing recently, they've started to be able to get away with saying "d*ck" which surprised me. Weirdly US networks never seemed to have a problem with aggressive uses of the word "b*stard", which i would personally consider to be stronger than "sh*t":confused:

I think bleeping out swear words works for comedy shows, but if they started doing it on a drama like Hannibal it would just take you out of the show (like whenever AMC blanks out the occasional F word during Breaking Bad, it's extremely jarring when the sound just drops out).
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    Did anyone else have problems understanding what lector was saying sometimes?

On a whole it gripped me and chilled me, nice direction they have gone down!

It's like elementary with a blatant twist, very cool!

I thought it was just me but MM was totally incomprehensible at times.
    Dr. Lecter may have his faults but poor diction isn't one of them.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    Pretty much spot on although network TV do have a bit more freedom than they used to. For instance they do allow minor swear words (and variations of it) on their shows. Nothing strong like the "F" word - or even "S" - but they get around that at times by "bleeping" it out (I believe "The Office" did this a few times). A lot has changed in the last 10 years. Also some network TV shows do allow over the top violence. For instance I'm a huge fan of the show "Supernatural" and I'm amazed with what they get away with; decapitations, buckets of blood, exploding bodies, etc. They have been doing this for 8 years now. :D

So it really varies and that's what so strange about Network TV. There are rules but they're allowed to go around it at times. The one thing that they won't show on a network is nudity. That hasn't changed at all although they did experiment with that back in the 1990s when NYPD BLUE was on the air. They did it a few times and then put a stop to it. Wasn't a big deal either since the brief nude scenes added nothing to the show anyway.
    Over the top violence isn't over the top in America they like violence and are probably the only people in the world stupid enough to let minors watch Hostel II...

Nudity in NYPD Blue was problematic though, the FCC (America's equivalent to Ofcom but with added responsibilities) ruled it fleeting, so didn't issue a fine. But it's what led to the PTC's formation. Those illogical people that hate Family Guy, but watch it every week just so they can whine about it. Hint: It's rated TV-14 of course it's not suitable for your 6 year old....
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shows on premium cable can be more explicit and contain swearing. Creators are given complete freedom, so shows are often brave and incredibly adult, though networks tend to like sex - This is anything on HBO, Cinemax,Showtime, Starz (so this is Game of Thrones, Girls, Veep, Banshee, Transporter: The Series, Strike Back, Homeland, Dexter, Episodes, Spartacus plus a few others)

Shows on normal cable can contain quite a bit of strong violence, moderate amounts of sex, drug use and mild swearing, such as "shit", though stronger language may be bleeped. Shows tend to be more risky and a bit braver creatively. Examples include The Walking Dead, Suits, American Horror Story, Wilfred.

Shows on network TV can contain no swearing unless it's beeped, some moderate violence and gore and very little sex. Shows tend to be, but are not always, incredibly safe, as creative freedom is restricted. Examples include CSI, Family Guy, The Following

That's clarified it all a little, thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Over the top violence isn't over the top in America they like violence and are probably the only people in the world stupid enough to let minors watch Hostel II....

No. :rolleyes:

Getting back on topic, I only found one instance in which I didn't really understand what MM was saying and that was during Hannibal's session with his patient. Other than that I didn't have any problem understanding him.

The only reason I'd want Hannibal on a channel like HBO would be for the fact that it will be less likely to be cancelled. I find that too much freedom to do/show what they want can lead to unnecessary excess as shows go on, like True Blood for instance. I like the fact that we don't see everything and that they have to find creative ways to get around things. It makes it far more interesting, for me anyway. I was actually quite surprised with what they could show on a network channel.

As for Hannibal, after four novels and many film adaptations I'm still not tired of seeing/learning more about him but that's just me. The show may be titled Hannibal but Will Graham is the main focus and I thought Hugh Dancy did an excellent job (I thought the whole cast was brilliant) and am looking forward to seeing more. :)
    Forum Member
    No. :rolleyes:

Looking on IMDB the US and certain Canadan districts appear to be the only countries where the film (Hostel II) is available to minors with parental supervision. Everywhere else restricts it completely, with even the French (who are notoriously lenient) giving it a 16.

So whilst perhaps offensive, it's a legitimate statement and it's perfectly reasonable to question why Americans find gore and violence acceptable but a little bit of sex and they're out....

Though now is not the time or the place...
    Forum Member
    Looking on IMDB the US and certain Canadan districts appear to be the only countries where the film (Hostel II) is available to minors with parental supervision. Everywhere else restricts it completely, with even the French (who are notoriously lenient) giving it a 16.

So whilst perhaps offensive, it's a legitimate statement and it's perfectly reasonable to question why Americans find gore and violence acceptable but a little bit of sex and they're out....

That is true but I think I can say with certainty that most parents would never allow a minor to watch that film even with their supervision. I don't doubt that some out there might but the majority, no.

I'm with you there. I'm an American and I'm baffled by the fact that gore/violence is perfectly acceptable and yet they act like puritans when it comes to sex. It's especially baffling since they use sex to sell just about everything here.

I get a wee bit defensive over stupid American comments. I feel that we get lumped together as if we share a collective mind when that couldn't be farther from the truth. Some of those comments are deserved yes but no country (or person for that matter) is perfect.

I agree. That is the last I will say about it in this thread. :)
    Forum Member
    That is true but I think I can say with certainty that most parents would never allow a minor to watch that film even with their supervision. I don't doubt that some out there might but the majority, no.

I'm with you there. I'm an American and I'm baffled by the fact that gore/violence is perfectly acceptable and yet they act like puritans when it comes to sex. It's especially baffling since they use sex to sell just about everything here.

I get a wee bit defensive over stupid American comments. I feel that we get lumped together as if we share a collective mind when that couldn't be farther from the truth. Some of those comments are deserved yes but no country (or person for that matter) is perfect.

I agree. That is the last I will say about it in this thread. :)
    Sorry about my massive generalisation of the American people, obviously not of all them are stupid :(
    Forum Member
    Sorry about my massive generalisation of the American people, obviously not of all them are stupid :(

That's alright. I'm a little over sensitive sometimes and that makes me defensive. I know you didn't mean all of us. :)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't too keen on the time jumps. I couldn't tell if it some of the things were happening in the present or the past, especially the last shot out with the bloke who killed his wife and hide behind his daughter.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Find it hard to believe this will be shown on Sky Living....really?!

It has received a lot of good reviews over in the States and in particular a lot of praise for Bryan Fuller who seems to be steering this show in the right direction as writer and showrunner and Mads Mikkelsen for his portrayal of Lecter.

Only negative is that this is on NBC. Think it be would more suited to a cable network for obvious reasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hannibal starts on 2nd May @ 9PM on Sky Living.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked it, though it had clearly been hacked down from a longer pilot (there were some big, sudden plot leaps) and yes, I'm having trouble with MM's accent too, but it looked great, and there were enough left-field touches (Hannibal's wardrobe for instance!) to make me think this is going to be worth the ride...
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Find it hard to believe this will be shown on Sky Living....really?!
    Why the surprise? They show Criminal Minds, and this sounds vaguely similar.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky Living is a mainly female demographic is it not? Hannibal just seems more edgy and hardcore and frankly more bloody than its current programming. That's all.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    Why the surprise? They show Criminal Minds, and this sounds vaguely similar.

Similar subject matter to Criminal Minds, but really, the reason why Hannibal is out of place on Sky Living is that the writing and visual style make it so much more like a high-end cable show than "network TV." And where does Sky put high-end cable shows? Sky Atlantic. Honestly, the idea that something as lowest-common-denominator as Blue Bloods belongs on Sky Atlantic but not Hannibal is ridiculous.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    I found it boring i was expecting to like this but the main guy was doing my head in commenting on the crimes and how he knew almost everything.

Have to laugh at the censorship of the scene with the girls body attached to the antlers one of the antlers just carefully covered the nipple how handy for NBC lol

So its ok for kids to see this poor dead girls body in a horrific death but if you see her little nipple thats simply not OK LOL
    Forum Member
    biggebruv wrote: »
    I found it boring i was expecting to like this but the main guy was doing my head in commenting on the crimes and how he knew almost everything.

Have to laugh at the censorship of the scene with the girls body attached to the antlers one of the antlers just carefully covered the nipple how handy for NBC lol

So its ok for kids to see this poor dead girls body in a horrific death but if you see her little nipple thats simply not OK LOL

It is on a 10 pm. How many "little kids" are watching TV then? You fail to understand that the US rules against nudity on "over the air" TV at 10 pm have nothing to do with children. It is about not pissing off a whole lot of adults who are offended by any display of nudity, usually on religious grounds.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    It is on a 10 pm. How many "little kids" are watching TV then? You fail to understand that the US rules against nudity on "over the air" TV at 10 pm have nothing to do with children. It is about not pissing off a whole lot of adults who are offended by any display of nudity, usually on religious grounds.

True but its still stupid its ok to see the impaled dead young girl just aslong as we dont see that little nipple of hers lol the girls body was fully nude already so what difference to people who are offended would a little nipple make you could practically see everything but that
    Forum Member
    biggebruv wrote: »
    True but its still stupid its ok to see the impaled dead young girl just aslong as we dont see that little nipple of hers lol the girls body was fully nude already so what difference to people who are offended would a little nipple make you could practically see everything but that

But I don't think there is anybody -- I mean, real people -- who thinks the violence is okay as long as there is no nudity. The people in the US who don't like nudity are usually the same people deploring violence on TV. Then there are Americans who want total free expression on TV. The rules as they are now basically represent a political compromise -- the folks who want censorship get part of what they want (when it comes to nudity, sex, coarse language) and the free expression folks get part of what they want (few restrictions on violence). What is the definition of compromise? Everybody is left unhappy about something.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    lala wrote: »
    It's a network show... Which is disappointing as it wont be able to take the creative risks that will allow this show to live up to its name. Should have been picked up on a cable channel.

100% this!
    Forum Member
    I don't know why everyone is going on about this not being on cable. I just watched the second episode and I don't see how it would be any better if it were on HBO, for example.

Do I need expletives in every other sentence? Do I need gratuitous nudity? Granted violence isn't lacking, even on NBC. People say that it needs to be on cable to take creative risks but I say that this show pushes itself further than other shows on network television.

I wouldn't have minded this being on premium cable. Then I wouldn't have to worry about ratings so much and all the damn commercials. Yes, it probably would have been great but then I bet people would also complain about it being too graphic.

Also, it seems that people think just because a show is on cable it will automatically be good. That's not always the case. Bryan Fuller said he chose NBC because they'd let him do what he wanted.

Anyway, I guess I'm in the minority here but the first episode sucked me in and the second was no different. I think the cast is fantastic. I'm also very impressed by Hugh's American accent.

This makes me want to watch Bryan Fuller's other shows.