Options

Username Silliness (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member

Is this an announcement on behalf of An?

Or does it mean that you gorge (on chutney, biscuits, cheese.....)?!

is An royal too?:o it's such a coincidence that should happen to two of us on the same thread!!
    can't wait to gorge on chutney...it's all alone waiting for me....:cry:
  • Options
    Fink-NottleFink-Nottle Posts: 60,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    is An royal too?:o it's such a coincidence that should happen to two of us on the same thread!!

Thought it would be a Cheddar gorge!
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    planets and An in a catfight over RuPaul's best wig. Someone better get video of that.

Ex squeeze me. What's going on here? If anyone finds the plot, a plot, any plot, can I please have coordinates.

Flights What is Leslie's accent? I am guessing Southern somewhere but he doesn't sound like a hill billy (apologies if that is an offensive description) so I am guessing not on the Appalachian ridge. So I am thinking deep south, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana somewhere like that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ex squeeze me. What's going on here? If anyone finds the plot, a plot, any plot, can I please have coordinates.

i made an announcement:

i'd like to make An Announcement:

For most of my life i have felt like i'm in the "wrong" body.
    i was supposed to have been born a super model who also Ruled The World.
    thankfully with the advances in medical science nature's oversight can now be rectified, after many months of hospitalisation, surgery, and all sorts of horrendous experiences i am now Gorgeous and Royal.
    Please refer to me as Your Royal Gorgeousness from now on, failure to comply with this will result in being duffed up by the Palace Bodyguards.
    Thank you for your co-operation.
    :)

but no one is curtseying or anything and NOW James has overshadowed my announcement with his announcing he is "the brad pitt of the dancing world"
  • Options
    Flight815-23DFlight815-23D Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

Flights What is Leslie's accent? I am guessing Southern somewhere but he doesn't sound like a hill billy (apologies if that is an offensive description) so I am guessing not on the Appalachian ridge. So I am thinking deep south, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana somewhere like that?

That's what's typically referred to as "southern gentleman." You'll hear it from Morgan Freeman, too, but it sounds way cooler when he does it. It's your guys' fault, actually - it's what happens to RP after 8-10 generations. Your typical hillbilly (offensiveness varies by context, see also: redneck) is what happens to Scotch-Irish after 8-10 generations.

I'll admit, it's my guilty pleasure when I see people on DS ripping on southerners. They're all YOUR relatives - the south was settled almost exclusively by English, Scotch and Irish. The only real exceptions are Louisiana and Florida, where there was some Spanish and French.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's what's typically referred to as "southern gentleman." You'll hear it from Morgan Freeman, too, but it sounds way cooler when he does it. It's your guys' fault, actually - it's what happens to RP after 8-10 generations. Your typical hillbilly (offensiveness varies by context, see also: redneck) is what happens to Scotch-Irish after 8-10 generations.

I'll admit, it's my guilty pleasure when I see people on DS ripping on southerners. They're all YOUR relatives - the south was settled almost exclusively by English, Scotch and Irish. The only real exceptions are Louisiana and Florida, where there was some Spanish and French.

Ah well you are a step ahead of me there. I was listening to Leslie in the diary room; listening in particular to his speech patterns. Noting that he sounds different to the accents of the southern Appalachians I was wondering if French has infused the accents of the delta area. I assumed that most American accents owe a good deal to older varieties of English ( certainly the vocabulary does - I think we have spoken before about faucets etc.). So accents such as Bostonian or even New York have English elements aside from the grammar and words. The stereotypical NYC accent I believe owes much to East European Jews and Irish accents.

You guilty pleasure is also interesting. American accents are not easy for British ears to differentiate. The same is true the other way around of course. For the average American who doesn't sit in front of British telly dunking her biscuit in her tea I imagine we all sound much the same. Nevertheless the Southern accent of Leslie sounds much nicer to me than many of the accents we hear from say Country and Western type performers when they are interviewed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i made an announcement:

but no one is curtseying or anything and NOW James has overshadowed my announcement with his announcing he is "the brad pitt of the dancing world"

Thank you for that you Royal Gorgeousness.

*bobs*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for that you Royal Gorgeousness.

*bobs*

awh thanks An it's so nice to be with someone with manners - have some swiss roll......

so far the housemates seem quite vain, i'm keeping a list from now on that we can add to as required:
    1 James - "i am the Brad Pitt of dancing world"
    2 David - " i'm too good looking to go"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah well you are a step ahead of me there. I was listening to Leslie in the diary room; listening in particular to his speech patterns. Noting that he sounds different to the accents of the southern Appalachians I was wondering if French has infused the accents of the delta area. I assumed that most American accents owe a good deal to older varieties of English ( certainly the vocabulary does - I think we have spoken before about faucets etc.). So accents such as Bostonian or even New York have English elements aside from the grammar and words. The stereotypical NYC accent I believe owes much to East European Jews and Irish accents.

You guilty pleasure is also interesting. American accents are not easy for British ears to differentiate. The same is true the other way around of course. For the average American who doesn't sit in front of British telly dunking her biscuit in her tea I imagine we all sound much the same. Nevertheless the Southern accent of Leslie sounds much nicer to me than many of the accents we hear from say Country and Western type performers when they are interviewed.

C/W is encouraged to play up the twang, as are a lot of southern celebs in general. If you ever catch a clip of Larry the Cable Guy or Jeff Foxworthy talking when they aren't "in character" the accent isn't nearly as thick. Larry's not even really from the South - he's from Nebraska - like someone from London putting on an extra thick Geordie accent.

BTW, I don't dunk biscuits in my tea, because my biscuits are covered in sausage gravy, thank you very much :p

ETA: did they ever show The Closer there? If it's on Netflix or something and you can look it up, it might be interesting for you to watch. The lead is supposed to be from Atlanta, transplanted to California. The actress isn't from Atlanta, and apparently has a terrible dialogue coach. Her accent bounces from about 6 different regions, and it became a drinking game, when she turns North Carolina drink once, when she gets Atlanta, do a shot, if she gets Georgia, but not Atlanta, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i made an announcement:[/URL]"

You made An Announcement!!

To the manner born!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    C/W is encouraged to play up the twang, as are a lot of southern celebs in general. If you ever catch a clip of Larry the Cable Guy or Jeff Foxworthy talking when they aren't "in character" the accent isn't nearly as thick. Larry's not even really from the South - he's from Nebraska - like someone from London putting on an extra thick Geordie accent.

LOL the old fraud! :o:D

BTW, I don't dunk biscuits in my tea, because my biscuits are covered in sausage gravy, thank you very much :p

Now you know very well they are scones! :) At least on this thread they are. Don't member you turning your nose up when DTS handed out the bourbons (chocolate sandwich biscuits - not you sort of bourbon.)

ETA: did they ever show The Closer there? If it's on Netflix or something and you can look it up, it might be interesting for you to watch. The lead is supposed to be from Atlanta, transplanted to California. The actress isn't from Atlanta, and apparently has a terrible dialogue coach. Her accent bounces from about 6 different regions, and it became a drinking game, when she turns North Carolina drink once, when she gets Atlanta, do a shot, if she gets Georgia, but not Atlanta, etc.

??? can't help with that I am afraid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ??? can't help with that I am afraid.

He's the voice of Mater in Cars.

That's actually a good example - the interview parts are his normal voice, and the voiceover track he's recording is using his put on fake accent voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wow that was some seriously unpleasant live feed tonight what a bunch of ****s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes that seems to be the majority view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes that seems to be the majority view.

be interested to hear your view An......i am finding it hard to watch, i can't even get through the clips without saying "oh f*** off" and turning it off :blush:
    even without taking personality into account they sound so awful i can't listen :blush:
    stephanie's voice is an aural torture.....
    dee sounds like she's taken half a tank of entonox
    kellie is so monotone with the dead eyes of a shark head washed up on a beach

look look LOOK what they've done to me i'm MOOOOOOOOOOOANING!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaaaargh.....

on another subject some beautiful show cows have moved in next door gorgeous highland coooos that come and loiter by the back door because they obviously like a bit of human chatter.....i like donkey cow best.......donkey cow for the win!:kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    interesting that any thread regarding a certain group of tweets is getting removed.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twitter ye not.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Twitter ye not.......

:D:D

nay nay and thrice nay
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D

nay nay and thrice nay

Naybores!

Fortunately, I am not watching CBB or lurking on the forum. One series is far more than enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Naybores!

Fortunately, I am not watching CBB or lurking on the forum. One series is far more than enough.

how sensible of you!!!
    i got lured.....
    i'm kicking myself now!!!!

i am also binge reading! just starting the giordano bruno series whilst i wait for the next cj sansom to be published in october!!!

i went through a patch where all the authors i was reading kept killing off all my favourite characters (no names no spoilers) and it was driving me NUTS.......*crosses fingers* that seems to have passed though *touches wood*

how's you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gearing up for a busy 13 months. Last month read Greg Iles's Natchez Burning - long but well worth it. Will not say anything about what happens to the lead character, but.....!

Downloaded a few books on the ipad last night, both because I have run out of space for the printed version and because they were cheap. That said, there is an app for android tablets that supplies ebooks for free, including new titles. Very handy for flights and long trips away.

How is your recovery going? Still up all night or back to a normal routine? That said, CBB will give you nightmares.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gearing up for a busy 13 months. Last month read Greg Iles's Natchez Burning - long but well worth it. Will not say anything about what happens to the lead character, but.....!

Downloaded a few books on the ipad last night, both because I have run out of space for the printed version and because they were cheap. That said, there is an app for android tablets that supplies ebooks for free, including new titles. Very handy for flights and long trips away.

How is your recovery going? Still up all night or back to a normal routine? That said, CBB will give you nightmares.:o

oh my god busy 13 MONTHS???!!!! blimey :o

oooooooo booooooks *licks lips* lovely.....always nice to find something you unexpectedly get lost in isn't it? i bought a whole bunch of second hand ones completely randomly without knowing anything about them and so far i've really enjoyed them all - hoorah -

it's a bit hit and miss i was going well but had a set back so have gone a bit backwards :(
    however sleep is hit and miss some nights im up all night others a syringe of morphine and the lord Hypnos blesses me :D

yes always have a book tucked in my bed to scare away the housemates.....the written word obviously terrifies a lot of them :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I moved a couple of hundred books to my sistet's the other day; needed the space, but could not bear to part with them for good. Dug up a few that I had not got around to reading, so I have to get stuck into them when time allows.

Trust the setback is temporary. Have they given a long-term prognosis? Trust you ar using the BBC iplayer which currently had a dramatisation of Shardlake, Dark Fire, which is true to the original.

Not sure that many of the last set of house inmates had ever seen a book, let alone read one!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I moved a couple of hundred books to my sistet's the other day; needed the space, but could not bear to part with them for good. Dug up a few that I had not got around to reading, so I have to get stuck into them when time allows.

Trust the setback is temporary. Have they given a long-term prognosis? Trust you ar using the BBC iplayer which currently had a dramatisation of Shardlake, Dark Fire, which is true to the original.

Not sure that many of the last set of house inmates had ever seen a book, let alone read one!

i can't bear to part with books even ones i hated and will never read again :blush:

fingers crossed regarding prognosis it is very much day by day see how we go for the next couple of years at least but hey ho....still here still reading so that's the silver lining!

OH MY GOD I LEFT MY WINDOW OPEN WITH THE LIGHT ON aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh
    my room is filled with flying things dive bombing me i've turned the light off to try and coax them back outside but they have decided my laptop screen is god and they must worship it as closely as possible
    (i can't stop thinking of a line in Arthur Miller's The Crucible "i must fly to mama i must fly to her")
    i'm going to have to hoover my laptop tomorrow to get rid of all the corpses from the keyboard.....
    it's taking me back to the great Bat Wars of '13......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate getting rid of books I have bought, but review copies are something else.

Couple of years?! Are you back home in the sunny north?

Flying insects? They will be making for your Moths and Legends!
This discussion has been closed.