Does this show ever get a decent themed week ?!

JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The current season is the only one I have watched all the way through, so not sure how its gone with other seasons.
To be frank, its extremely dated !
To we ever get a week where we can see what the artists would be like selling to a 21st century market ?

Comments

• Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    The current season is the only one I have watched all the way through, so not sure how its gone with other seasons.
    To be frank, its extremely dated !
    To we ever get a week where we can see what the artists would be like selling to a 21st century market ?

For me the problem isn't the themes themselves, it's the limited lists of songs that the contestants have to choose from.

Having said that, my favourite week of season 10 is when they had to do songs from the 21st century - most of the performances were really strong.

If I was the producer in charge of themes I'd alternate between modern themes and older themes every week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't think the producers fully grasp that with Motown and Beatles themes they are asking contestants to sing 50 year old songs, i.e. the songs of their grandparents' era. As is the UK (witness the Olympic ceremonies) there seems to be a cultural religion whereby the 60's is worshipped and its main figures are akin to saints.

Heck, I'm from around that era, but I do find it so tiresome. If they don't think there are enough good songs from the last 10 years then they shouldn't be in this business.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better theme this week, didn't feel like I was slipping into a coma half way through.
    Though the song choices are still a little `old`
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    baroquepop wrote: »
    I really don't think the producers fully grasp that with Motown and Beatles themes they are asking contestants to sing 50 year old songs, i.e. the songs of their grandparents' era. As is the UK (witness the Olympic ceremonies) there seems to be a cultural religion whereby the 60's is worshipped and its main figures are akin to saints.

Heck, I'm from around that era, but I do find it so tiresome. If they don't think there are enough good songs from the last 10 years then they shouldn't be in this business.

Me too, they are given Beatles, 80's and Mo-town, Elton John and Rod Stewart yet told to make it current.

Many people like the songs the way they were and do not appreciate them being mucked around with by new performers, which does little for the performers confidence.

Apart from Nicki, the judges are the same expecting so much from these young people who have only heard the songs days before. Nicki is just crass anyway so I don't count her comments.
  • Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    Me too, they are given Beatles, 80's and Mo-town, Elton John and Rod Stewart yet told to make it current.

Many people like the songs the way they were and do not appreciate them being mucked around with by new performers, which does little for the performers confidence.

Apart from Nicki, the judges are the same expecting so much from these young people who have only heard the songs days before. Nicki is just crass anyway so I don't count her comments.

Yeah I hate it when the Beatles theme is given every year. I think the whole world knows by now how well known and famous they are. And then they say things to the contestants about being "current". Well give a theme from people not 50 years ago might help with that. And stop with the themes that are basically "sing whatever" only with a different wording as that makes the themes pointless.

I don't mind 80's theme but it is the limited songs which seem to be the same ones used each time. Motown is the one to go. It is the worst theme and most of the contestants if not all don't appear to enjoy it.

If given proper themes it could be better.