The lack of standing ovation for Natalie is very telling.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I don't think Natalie's lack of a standing ovation says anything at all, personally. Yes, Bruce commented on it, and that is why all the other contestants got one after that - because they'd been told off by Bruce and probably thought they'd better just stand up for everything now.

I don't put any store at all in whether a dance gets an ovation or not - it's tiring getting up and down all the time! :)
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, "brain dead". You don't have to like Abbey, but that's very low.

But she is. People has the most horrible things about Natalie and some of it is really realy low and uncalled for. Abbey is not as good as she thinks she is. Half the time she comes across as someone who is desperate to get into Alijaz's pants.:o
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the exception of Natalie part of the thrill of watching the other contestants is holding your breath in case they go badly wrong and then feeling happy if they pull off a good dance! I just expect Natalie to dance well all the time so it's more difficult to get excited. If she gets through to the final I'm hoping that she really goes for it. I'm sure she will because it will be do or die :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Hmm, Abbey, model and WAG, so let's label her "brain dead" in spite of plenty evidence much to the contrary.

Quite apart from it being a nasty thing to say about anyone.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was no standing ovation after Susanna's foxtrot, which scored 38. Are we saying her public vote has collapsed as well?

I wouldn't judge on standing ovations at this point to be honest. They've proven a pretty unreliable indicator of who gets votes on a given night, although overall I think they've told more or less the right story.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    Hmm, Abbey, model and WAG, so let's label her "brain dead" in spite of plenty evidence much to the contrary.

Quite apart from it being a nasty thing to say about anyone.

I think the nasty remarks her detractors make help her cause. You only have to observe her with a reasonably fair mind to realise that such remarks suggest more about the people making them than Abbey.
  • SuzieQ12SuzieQ12 Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    But she is. People has the most horrible things about Natalie and some of it is really realy low and uncalled for. Abbey is not as good as she thinks she is. Half the time she comes across as someone who is desperate to get into Alijaz's pants.:o

Oh, well that makes it okay then.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignore the trolls ;-);-):cool:
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pices-55 wrote: »
    Yes I know you have said this before Cadiva and you are entitled to that view, I on the other hand think the opposite and I find her emotion comes through both for the dance itself and also for her partner.I just dont see what you do or rather I see and feel what you dont.:)

I know, I'm putting forward my opinion and mentioning I agree with you re her technical ability, but disagree with the rest :D
  • Phebes4361Phebes4361 Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    absolutley..

Even Bruce commented on it. A 40 dance should have received a standing ovation, but the audience didn't bother after that Salsa. Interestingly Ashley and Ola did get one for their salsa last week and didn't get a single ten. A salsa is meant to be a fun party dance, it's meant to get people on their feet....

Natalie despite ending technically good has never once wowed me. Looks like the studio audience agree with me;-)
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perhaps you should look up the word brain dead and inform yourself . Its not something you bandy about and make light of .
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No she's not, and I've never seen anyone on here say something quite as nasty about Natalie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Why all the fuss over no standing ovation. If that's how the dances are judged Mark Benton would still be on the show !!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    What is telling is that people don't know what they are watching IMO. Abbey just struts about and people think she is great.

Of course they do - the judges keep telling everybody so. And even when they acknowledge faults - though I'm guessing Darcey wouldn't have mentioned the errant foot if Bruce hadn't stuck his oar in - they don't let them affect her score. Abbey got 10s for a VW with some iffy footwork whilst Sophie got 9s for a better one because of some alleged issue with her neck in a spinathon.

The sad thing is that she is very good - but she would be so much better if the judges encouraged her to correct her faults rather than ignoring them and in effect letting her know she doesn't have to.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why all the fuss over no standing ovation. If that's how the dances are judged Mark Benton would still be on the show !!

Mark didn't get them often either. The three people most consistently getting Standing Ovations over the course of the series have been Natalie (although she's tailing off now), Sophie and Susanna. Abbey is now starting to catch up though, and is nipping at their heels.
  • LamballeLamballe Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    I thought the beginning and the end - especially the end; those spins! - of Natalie's Salsa were fantastic but the middle lacked oomph for me. I was surprised by the lukewarm reception and she's not even my favourite of who is left. I do agree that their performances don't quite have the same heart as others', but I still think she's an excellent performer that deserves credit for her accomplishments on the show.
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that the term brain dead is still being used to describe Abbey - wow, absolutely unbelievable.
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that the term brain dead is still being used to describe Abbey - wow, absolutely unbelievable.

It's truly unbelievable. She comes over to me as sweet girl who is delighted at her progress ... and what progress. I would LOVE her to win, but don't think it will happen. If she gets to final I will be voting for her. She is the winner in my book whatever else happens.:)

Otherwise, the lack of standing ovations for Natalie. Perhaps the fact that she is so good the audience are not surprised and motivated by her performance to stand up and applaud her. Perhaps it is rather like what happens in the theatre, where cast members' friends and families sit in the first few rows, they stand up and clap at the end of the performance and the people seated behind them just to have stand too, otherwise they can't see the stage.;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    No, she just hasn't wowed me yet. Technically she's is very very good, but she leaves me cold. Susanna, Sophie and Abbey have all done "wow" dances that stay in my mind, but Natalie hasn't yet.

Sounds like Natalie's dancing is never going to wow you regardless of how good she is. Why bother to mention someone who leaves you cold when there are SO many "wow dances" in your mind?

To enjoy the final: just take a break, get a re-fill and sleep through the technically very, very good contestant's dances. :confused:
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first thought was that the audience were so stunned by Nartem's sublime salsa that they simply forgot to stand up :)
  • Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sophie P wrote: »
    Sounds like Natalie's dancing is never going to wow you regardless of how good she is. Why bother to mention someone who leaves you cold when there are SO many "wow dances" in your mind?

To enjoy the final: just take a break, get a re-fill and sleep through the technically very, very good contestant's dances. :confused:

:DThat seems to be the problem with some of Natalie's knockers, it just would not matter what she did as the prejudice is already there and ingrained (not talking about colour prejudice btw)I do laugh at a lot of the comments regarding Natalie and how she does not wow some people, they are still waiting to be wowed by her but never will because they dont want to be.

Natalie seems to be held up to some ridiculously high standard that even Pro's on strictly dont match to tbh, and i find it so laughable that some people talk about Natalie and all her imaginary faults and yet are wowed by the likes of Susanna and Kevin, who lets face it are the worst of the remaining couples.:)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Natalie's dances are precise and well executed, but there's something clinical and cold about them. I agreed with Craig about the AT, it should look improvised and spontaneous. OTOH Abbey throws herself into it, or on Aljaz, I can't tell, but I am enjoying the side effect, her dancing.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pices-55 wrote: »
    :DThat seems to be the problem with some of Natalie's knockers,...

That made me wonder for a while how many she actually has :o:D
  • tonycollins100tonycollins100 Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    My first thought was that the audience were so stunned by Nartem's sublime salsa that they simply forgot to stand up :)

It was probably all the queuing they had to do to get in!
  • bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Natalie's dances are precise and well executed, but there's something clinical and cold about them. I agreed with Craig about the AT, it should look improvised and spontaneous. OTOH Abbey throws herself into it, or on Aljaz, I can't tell, but I am enjoying the side effect, her dancing.

Ha ha - Love your comment about Abbey and thats how i feel about her too. She has most if not all of the ingredients to win. A great dancer, a real partnership with her pro, a journey of progression and an infectious love of, and appreciation for, what shes doing.

I have to agree about Natalie being cold and clinical too. Her AT this week is the first time i've loved a dance of hers but cold and clinical sort of suited it. It still didn't have me leaping from my seat as other dances have done this series (Sophies Charleston, Susannas Paso, Abbeys Salsa)

If only she could leave the technique behind a bit (and the 'pro' facial expressions) and just loose herself in the dance i think she'd be the best contestant we've ever had on the show. As it is she reminds me of Rachel Stevens who people still rave about on here but who also left me cold.