Options

Getting something removed from a website re. my brother's death

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,560
Forum Member
Hi, first a bit of background for those that don't know.
My brother went missing after a night out on January 15th, this year.
Four days later he was found in the river where he had drowned.
(I made a thread here when he first went missing.)

Now, for obvious reasons, once in a while I will google him, and a couple of months ago, before the inquest, I found a link many pages down on a google search that had my brother's name on it, and I thought I'd take a look as I had not seen the link before, and what I found was, to be honest I thought, pretty distasteful.

Firstly the website name and URL are pretty disgusting. Then after a little scrolling, I find that they have my brother listed as a 'suspicious case'.

From what I can gather it is a collection of missing persons, which many are later found dead, and they seem to have it in their heads that 'something' suspicious is going on.

Obviously they are totally off the mark (and their heads).

I emailed them several weeks ago and politely asked for them to remove my brother from the page he is on (LINK removed). But after checking their main page often, it seems it hasn't been updated for a while. (April seems to be the last time the site was updated)..

So my question is, how can I have my brother removed from the site without getting in contact with the site owner?

If I am totally honest, this thing is playing on my mind, and it is really upsetting and distressing. I daren't tell my Mum about it, as it would really upset her.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As harsh as this sounds (and I honestly don't mean it to be) you cannot possibly police the internet forever regarding your brother.

By your own admission you actively went looking for anything relating to him. If you know when you find something it's going to upset you, why bother looking?

As for getting whatever it is you want removed - I suppose you could employ a solicitor and get them to make contact - as for if there is a legal case to answer I don't know.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last update was on August 13th if you look a little bit down the middle column, so it's still active.

To be honest, I think the best you can do is ask. The person running the web page clearly has this idea that the deaths of young men in the US and the UK is a murder conspiracy, and the info they're using is public domain.

If you can't convince them to take the references to your brother down, then I don't think there's really anything that you can do about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    QTC13 wrote: »
    As harsh as this sounds (and I honestly don't mean it to be) you cannot possibly police the internet forever regarding your brother.

Obviously I am not going to search the internet forever, as you put it, and unless you are put in to the same situation you cannot say that you would never do the same.
    The last update was on August 13th if you look a little bit down the middle column, so it's still active.

To be honest, I think the best you can do is ask. The person running the web page clearly has this idea that the deaths of young men in the US and the UK is a murder conspiracy, and the info they're using is public domain.

If you can't convince them to take the references to your brother down, then I don't think there's really anything that you can do about it.

Thank you, I hadn't seen that, so I will try to email them again, though they didn't reply to my first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    It appears to be a blog hosted by Wordpress - maybe try their complaints process - http://en.wordpress.com/complaints/

I remember following your thread and I hope you and your family are holding up - rubbish like this can't help. I hope wordpress can help x
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SoapyJo wrote: »
    Thank you, I hadn't seen that, so I will try to email them again, though they didn't reply to my first.

Yeah, it's worth giving it a crack. Play up to them a bit, and tell them how interesting the site is, but the fact is that the content re. your brother is upsetting you and your family, and it's hard to move on when you know something like that is out there.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    bandersist2008bandersist2008 Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My heart goes out to you.. something similar happened to a close relative of mine and the silly conspiracy theory web pages cause lots of hurt in these situations.. it seems that people forget that the dead person has living relatives who are grieving and hurting.. :( We managed to get some things off a UK site but links through none uk servers seem not to have been affected... as the basic info is taken from public documents it is hard to know what else could be done. it seems that people can say what they want on the web and forum contributors can be very hurtful. I hope you get somewhere with this! these people must have pretty sad lives to believe such rubbish.... My condolences to you and your family.
  • Options
    topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    SoapyJo wrote: »
    Obviously I am not going to search the internet forever, as you put it, and unless you are put in to the same situation you cannot say that you would never do the same.

so sorry to hear about your brother. I can totally understand how you'd feel. I agree with the person who said try contacting the people hosting the site and make a complaint they can make them take it down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Specktater wrote: »
    It appears to be a blog hosted by Wordpress - maybe try their complaints process - http://en.wordpress.com/complaints/

I remember following your thread and I hope you and your family are holding up - rubbish like this can't help. I hope wordpress can help x

Thank you so much, I will try that IF they do not respond to the second email I have just sent them.

I was really polite in the first one I sent a few weeks ago, this time I have stepped it up a little, by saying how distressing and upsetting it was, and that I haven't told my parents about it yet as it would totally break their heart, and that I'm sure that they wouldn't want to be the cause of that. Then I kinda mentioned looking in to legal action.

They have one month to reply or remove, then I will use that link you provided, so thank you!

Yeah, it's worth giving it a crack. Play up to them a bit, and tell them how interesting the site is, but the fact is that the content re. your brother is upsetting you and your family, and it's hard to move on when you know something like that is out there.

Good luck :)

Thank you, email already sent, was still polite, but in an angry way, hopefully they will listen this time.

My heart goes out to you.. something similar happened to a close relative of mine and the silly conspiracy theory web pages cause lots of hurt in these situations.. it seems that people forget that the dead person has living relatives who are grieving and hurting.. :( We managed to get some things off a UK site but links through none uk servers seem not to have been affected... as the basic info is taken from public documents it is hard to know what else could be done. it seems that people can say what they want on the web and forum contributors can be very hurtful. I hope you get somewhere with this! these people must have pretty sad lives to believe such rubbish.... My condolences to you and your family.

Thank you so much.
    It is a US site so things might be a bit more difficult, but hopefully wordpress will be able to do something if the person running the site does not.
    Some people really do not think do they? Wish they would just keep their theories to themselves!

topcat2 wrote: »
    so sorry to hear about your brother. I can totally understand how you'd feel. I agree with the person who said try contacting the people hosting the site and make a complaint they can make them take it down.

Thank you very much and yes, will be going down that route if they do not reply or remove within a month. I think I have given them enough time to do the right thing.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What legal action would you be hoping to take? Just to mention, it's not a libel case, as in law you can't libel the dead. This is why biographies etc come out about people after they have died, as no-one an sue. Also, the laws protecting freedomof expression are stronger in the US than over here.

As hard as it is, if you get no joy from them this time, might be best to ignore it and move on.
  • Options
    charmingbillycharmingbilly Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't sound like Jo is intending to take legal action, she merely wants all references to her brother removed from the page.

On another note Jo, I am impressed with your work on the Waterway Safety Campaign. I hope you and your family are keeping well and looking after each other.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is going to sound harsh and I know he is your brother but... Other people do not have the same emotional attachment to your brother that you obviously have. Other people won't care one way or the other really regarding the death, so nobody else will see it as a big deal - apart from you. If it is not being updated (the website) that is, then is it really that popular? I agree that you cannot police the Internet over your brother's death and have to accept that there will be things on there.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was tragic what happened to your brother, Jo. I can totally understand why you are still suffering.

Problem is - you have linked the page in question and a lot of folks will now click on it and read it who otherwise would never even have known about it. That may also lead to it showing up higher on vaguely linked google searches ( I admit I don't know how these things work )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you'll get far appealing to the site owner's better judgement, as anybody who creates a site to speculate on "suspicious" deaths isn't likely to have better judgement. I would suspect they would know what kind of emotional pain they're inflicting with their conspiracy theories and simply don't care. They've also probably ensured the site is on sound legal footing.

I think you should try find solace in the fact anybody who believes such a site is somebody whose opinion should not matter. There are strange people out there and there's not much that can be done about it. Although this is obviously deeply personal for you, conspiracy nuts are just a blight on our society that should be ignored and pitied.
  • Options
    charmingbillycharmingbilly Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on earth are the conspiracy theorists trying to suggest? I've just read through the page, and it's a record of many tragic deaths of young men in accidents, most of them death by drowning. Are they trying to suggest that there is something more sinister at work behind this?:confused: Some people maybe have too much spare time, and perhaps should be stepping away from the internet for a day or so.

I hope you are successful in getting your brother's details removed, Jo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just a quick update, and especially for the cynics who posted, I heard back from the site owner, and they have removed my good brother's name and information from the site.

So good news all round.

I am going to see if the mods will kindly remove any mention of the site and the URL from my OP, as I really do not want to be advertising such a disgusting site.

Thank you to those who offered genuine and helful advice.