Katie Hopkins

Comments

• Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just have a major hatred for this vile shrew. Wish she'd disappear.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    Actually it is well known that many anti-depressants cause weight gain in many people.
    Especially SSRI's, they can change your metabolism. They mess with the wiring in the head too. Also the birth control pill, asthma drugs, can cause weight gain too.
    The changes in the diets in the pasts is that we have way too much sugar in our food, low calorie and "Sugar Free" food are full of chemicals which they didn't have then, plus people have a been work/life balance than they do not. I have a friend who has a very active son, he plays football, swims competitively, rides his bike but he gained weight purely when he started to eat school dinners, instead of a packed lunch.
    Women stayed at home with the family and had much more labour intensive house work, without washing machines etc. They had more time to cook from stratch too. Now many women are having to juggle work, home and children, they don't have much time to cook, get homework done and children bathed and into bed. And they often graze at work, many not bothering with lunch breaks and are working longer hours for no extra money (just how Katie likes work to be!). Plus prices are rising ever more.

Another really educated post. If only more people had this insight, we might not have attitudes like some of the ones displayed in this thread.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amount of weight she has put on in such a short period of time suggests to me that much of it is water weight. Me and my partner came back from a long weekend recently, only away for 3 days, we had both put on 3lbs by the time we got back. That weight came off in about 4-5 days.

She hasnt put on 4 stone, she has put on 3 stone 5lbs. I would guess about 7-9lbs will come off within the first week and another say 5lbs in the next week. The amount of processed carbs she will have eaten will have caused a lot of water weight. That leaves her with just over 2 stone to lose and once she gets back to how she was eating before, plus her exercising she will lose that in probably about 4 months or so.

Yes of course ultimately people are overweight because they eat more than they need. This counts for people on medication too as its not the medication which makes someone fat, its that the medication gives such awful cravings, or an 'empty' feeling, or physically slows metabolism which means people gain weight. Of course they could just eat less, but food is such a basic need, the basic need in fact which overrides everything.

Give her a real task to do, 6months living in indequate housing with poor cooking facilities and little fridge or freezer space, low income, stressful shift work, try it then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    the medias obsession with food and cooking...
    they even have cooking shows on kids TV ...

endless obsession with food... check out the naked chef who is forever
    stuffing his mouth with food and is beginning to look like a human pig...

(His wife Jools on the other hand is slim and gorgeous )

I am always puzzled by this depiction of Jamie Oliver. I have never seen him as overweight. He has a round chubby face, its the way his face looks, his children look the same. He isnt fat though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I smoked two cigarettes once. Never smoked again. Honestly, the willpower of smokers - don't they realise that it's all they have to do?

People gain weight over long periods of time, thus changing their lifestyle. When you want to lose weight, you have to give up your old life forever - and successful dieters are the ones who lose it slowly, don't tell people (it instantly creates pressure) and slowly adjust to a life with more exercise and less food. KH has no emotional basis for changing her eating habits, and will find it easy to go back to her former life. I don't usually wish ill of people, but I do hope she's heard of stretch marks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »

Give her a real task to do, 6months living in indequate housing with poor cooking facilities and little fridge or freezer space, low income, stressful shift work, try it then.

I'd watch that.
  • SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually it is well known that many anti-depressants cause weight gain in many people.
    Especially SSRI's, they can change your metabolism. They mess with the wiring in the head too. Also the birth control pill, asthma drugs, can cause weight gain too.
    The changes in the diets in the pasts is that we have way too much sugar in our food, low calorie and "Sugar Free" food are full of chemicals which they didn't have then, plus people have a been work/life balance than they do not. I have a friend who has a very active son, he plays football, swims competitively, rides his bike but he gained weight purely when he started to eat school dinners, instead of a packed lunch.
    Women stayed at home with the family and had much more labour intensive house work, without washing machines etc. They had more time to cook from stratch too. Now many women are having to juggle work, home and children, they don't have much time to cook, get homework done and children bathed and into bed. And they often graze at work, many not bothering with lunch breaks and are working longer hours for no extra money (just how Katie likes work to be!). Plus prices are rising ever more.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. If you are taking medication that affects your metabolism then you adjust your eating and your activity to counter it. That is not rocket science. As for your reasoning for why so many women are fat these days...please. Being so frenetic they have no excuse for being fat! if you are fat it is your fault - end of!
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    What's scary is so many people these days aren't just fat. They are mahoosive!!! Takes a lot of daily calories to maintain that kind of bulk. I agree Katie is not really making a point, she does not have the ingrained habits suffered by many over weight people. From what she says, she can't wait to not eat again, that is not how overweight people feel. So she's proving nothing to my mind.

The simple fact is though, you eat less, move more and if your output is greater than your input you will lose weight. The problem is many people, for many reasons, find that very hard to do.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semillion wrote: »
    Excuses, excuses, excuses. If you are taking medication that affects your metabolism then you adjust your eating and your activity to counter it. That is not rocket science. As for your reasoning for why so many women are fat these days...please. Being so frenetic they have no excuse for being fat! if you are fat it is your fault - end of!

And what if that medication also increases appetite? We're not all little clockwork robots that can achieve this so easily (I'm not overweight or 'making excuses', btw). Of course, at face value the formula for weight loss is energy input < energy output, but there are a whole lot of psychological and physical mechanisms in place that complicate the process. If life were only as simple as cutting down food and exercising more. It isn't. As I said earlier, if even the best scientists and nutritionists haven't completely unpicked the reasons for our current obesity problem (which they haven't), then I don't think KH (or you) will have it cracked, either.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rattie wrote: »
    What's scary is so many people these days aren't just fat. They are mahoosive!!! Takes a lot of daily calories to maintain that kind of bulk. I agree Katie is not really making a point, she does not have the ingrained habits suffered by many over weight people. From what she says, she can't wait to not eat again, that is not how overweight people feel. So she's proving nothing to my mind.

The simple fact is though, you eat less, move more and if your output is greater than your input you will lose weight. The problem is many people, for many reasons, find that very hard to do.

I think a big problem is that a lot, but not all, weighty people buy too much junk food. Cakes, biscuits, sweets, pop, ready meals etc, these probably don't do much for the body. I've seen weighty people at the tills with walking sticks and yet they've bought all the wrong things, all the stuff that could be helping to keep their weight on. I know that some out there will be weighty because of medical problems/conditions and that's absolutely fine, but I suspect that a lot of weighty people are weighty simply because they're eating a lot of the wrong type of food.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rattie wrote: »

If someone is say 7 stone overweight, how many calories (without looking it up) do you think it takes to maintain that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone is say 7 stone overweight, how many calories (without looking it up) do you think it takes to maintain that?

I agree that for the seriously obese, many will have psychological issues with food which result in them overeating and continuing to gain weight as a result. These issues need tackling, as well as diet and exercise if they are serious about losing weight. Thing is, KH doesn't have these food-related issues (my goodness, she's got 'issues' alright but not of this kind) so what she's doing is kind of null. If she's doing it to say, "Hey, look how easy it is!" (to lose weight) then it's just going to get peoples' backs up. However, if she learns something from it and actually becomes a little more humane as a result, then maybe she deserves a bit of credit for that, at least.

Also, weight gained very quickly is likely to be lost more quickly because it is not fat accumulated over a number of years, so she's not actually comparing 'like with like'.

I don't know enough about any possible connection but I hope it doesn't make her epilepsy worse. On reflection, as much as I dislike her I do, in a way, have a sneaking admiration for her allowing herself to go through this process. I feel very uncomfortable carrying a few extra pounds around so to go as far as she has cannot be easy.
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    I do hope she's heard of stretch marks.

Heard of them, Her face is covered in them...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7f/Pug_portrait.jpg/800px-Pug_portrait.jpg
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member

Logic dictates that any calorie intake above your bodies 'mean' intake (avg 2000 per Day for Women) would maintain that level of obesity.

To actually start to burn those 'stored' fats would need an intake of around 1600 - 1800 per Day with at least ten minutes of light exercise (walking is fine) at least three times a week,
    If one was to follow that diet, I would assume a minimum of two years to shift that excess seven stone, this is not an unrealistic target but would take immense self discipline and devotion.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semillion wrote: »

Medication can change your metabolism, it can take months to adjust or to even realise you have gained weight or why, because you haven't change the way you eat, all that has changed is the pill you take. If you are taking an anti-depressant, you have bigger issues than your weight at that point, your body, your mind, your nervous system all have to adjust, you may become unstable, even suicidal and have no appetite at all, yet you still find you gain weight. It creeps on too and suddenly your clothes don't fit, which then messed further with your head. It is also very, very, hard to lose, even if it is only two stone and you diet, exercise and adjust. It is a well known medical side affect.

Being frantic does not mean more active, it can be a job which is mostly at a desk and driving to pick up the kids from school at the end of the day, getting them feed, bathed, homework done and into bed between 5.30 and 8.00 in the evening. It could be a teaching job with is long hour marking, after a day at school and putting your own children to bad.

You seem to lack the empathy and imagination to understand people, just like Katie. She seems to think that fat people just sit there and stuff themselves, they don't it can take a long time for the weight to creep on, not a few weeks.
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    Medication can change your metabolism, it can take months to adjust or to even realise you have gained weight or why, because you haven't change the way you eat, all that has changed is the pill you take. If you are taking an anti-depressant, you have bigger issues than your weight at that point, your body, your mind, your nervous system all have to adjust, you may become unstable, even suicidal and have no appetite at all, yet you still find you gain weight. It creeps on too and suddenly your clothes don't fit, which then messed further with your head. It is also very, very, hard to lose, even if it is only two stone and you diet, exercise and adjust. It is a well known medical side affect.

Being frantic does not mean more active, it can be a job which is mostly at a desk and driving to pick up the kids from school at the end of the day, getting them feed, bathed, homework done and into bed between 5.30 and 8.00 in the evening. It could be a teaching job with is long hour marking, after a day at school and putting your own children to bad.

You seem to lack the empathy and imagination to understand people, just like Katie. She seems to think that fat people just sit there and stuff themselves, they don't it can take a long time for the weight to creep on, not a few weeks.

Such a good post, I imagine all those people who are overweight wished it was as black & white as the Katie Hopkins of this world tell them it is.

And you are spot on re metabolism. A good friend of mine suffered with severe PND about 15 years ago, her GP put her on anti depressants & aside from feeling like a walking zombie, her appetite went through the roof ( a side effect of her medication) & she piled on the weight, however at that time in her life, weight gain was the least of her worries.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    It is proven that certain meds can make you put on weight no matter what you do. Some slow your metabolism hugely, others increase appetite, some do both, some make your body 'cling on' to fat. Antipsychotics are especially known for this.

I would say that yes, you can adjust lifestyle to try and help maintain weight whilst on meds, but for some there is nothing they can do, the weight is going to go on even with diet and exercise.

But let's face it there is a tiny minority of obese people who are on meds that cause weight gain.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    How insane is that... ? deliberately putting on
    3 and 1/2 stone in weight to prove some point or other !

Now theres a ... Lose weight with Katie ... campagn starting as she now begins to try to lose all that excess weight !!!

http://www.closeronline.co.uk/2014/09/emotional-katie-hopkins-on-this-morning-i-hate-fat-people-for-making-me-do-this

I'm surprised by the the revelation that she has epilepsy. She should know that some medication for epilepsy can cause weight gain. This has happened to my friend's son and he can't just go off on his bike like most boys his age because of his epilepsy. His form of epilepsy causes him to sleep more so he doesn't move around as much as most kids.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony-w wrote: »
    Logic dictates that any calorie intake above your bodies 'mean' intake (avg 2000 per Day for Women) would maintain that level of obesity.

To actually start to burn those 'stored' fats would need an intake of around 1600 - 1800 per Day with at least ten minutes of light exercise (walking is fine) at least three times a week,
    If one was to follow that diet, I would assume a minimum of two years to shift that excess seven stone, this is not an unrealistic target but would take immense self discipline and devotion.

You're absolutely right and this is why when people talk about fat people eating huge amounts of food, they are just eating the normal amount, possibly a bit more because they are bigger, to maintain that weight. She said she was eating 6500 calories a day, thats outside what many, most morbidly obese people's intake is.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is just another publicity stunt from Katie. She ran out of safe demographics to be all "controversial" about so now she needs a new stunt to get in the media. Let's look at her previous form (and bear in mind she is supposed to be controversial). She picked on

1. Women who have been cheated on (well considering she was the other woman who got caught shagging a married man in a field, she was hardly going to have any sympathy for the person who has been cheated on). Did she show any remorse or guilt over this? Of course not. It was the woman's fault. If she took care of her man then he wouldn't have looked elsewhere *rolls eyes*.

I do think that if a married man cheats, then he is mostly to blame but if someone knows he is married, carries out the affair and then not only brags about it but blames the wife, then she seriously needs to look at herself.

2. Ginger children. Apparently these are harder to love. What a crock of shi....

3. Children's names. If your child has a chavy name, Katie will not let her children associate with yours. Chavy names include country and nature names. Don't let the fact that Katie's two daughters are called after a country and flower ie India and Poppy call her a hypocrite. She is too busy dishing out judgement to be expected to live by these standards herself.

What I found most shocking about this story was that Katie was sending her children to school where they would be mixing with undesirables. I would've thought from her constant boasting about what a clever businesswoman she is, that she would be rolling in so much cash that her kids would be attending the most prestigious schools in Britain. She mustn't punch as high as she aims if her poor children have to mix with other kids called Tyler.

4. Mothers. Apparently Katie went back to work as soon as she could after the birth and she holds a dim view of mother's who aren't back asap. I'm actually surprised Katie took any time off and wasn't sending off emails during the labour as she's simply super woman.

5 Overweight people. Well they're just lazy and unemployable. Who wants a fat person who is perfectly capable of doing the job, when you can hire a slimmer person who might be capable of the job? Image is everything (in Katie's mind) and unless you look a certain way, then she will not hire you for her elusive business (she always talks about being a business woman but she never says what she actually does or how many people she employees she has).

6 Reality "celebrities". She stuck her oar in when Big Dee was in the news and I think she made some petty remarks about Big Dee wearing a bra or something.

Overall: She is NOT controversial or edgy. She is the epitome of Daily Mail readers and as such, appeals to a certain audience. The reason she stays in the media is that most people don't like her because while there might be a grain on truth in some of the things she says, she comes across as so insensitive and heartless that it is hard to treat her as anything other than a troll.

Getting back to her weight gain. It would be nice to think that she is doing this to show people how they can lose weight but we all know that when she goes back to her pre-weight gain she will be an insufferable pain in the hole and will use her weight loss as a stick to beat over weight people around the head with.

Her "challenge" would only have any relevance if she stayed overweight for five years or more and then she tried to lose the weight. Only then would she truly understand how hard it is to lose weight. What she is doing is comparable to someone saying "well I lived on very little calories for a few months, lost a lot of weight and now I am going to put it back on, just so I can show anorexics that all you have to do to overcome your problems is eat more and exercise less.

I normally ignore Katie because I know she is full of sh!t but unfortunately I think this latest stunt will gain her a lot of attention in the coming months as people will watch to see if she loses the weight. There will be a lot who hope she doesn't but I have no doubt she will, if for no other reason than she can gloat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard her on the jeremy vine show today playing a clip of the show or radio show where she is charting her journey as she calls it, she is heard saying (after having to eat all those 6500 calories per day), 'I hate fat people for making me do this' (the stunt).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard her on the jeremy vine show today playing a clip of the show or radio show where she is charting her journey as she calls it, she is heard saying (after having to eat all those 6500 calories per day), 'I hate fat people for making me do this' (the stunt).

If that's what she said, she's monumentally stupid. Nobody made her do it and if she's just doing it to 'prove a point' it just makes her look a tad spiteful. There's only one person she's concerned with and she sees them every time she looks in a mirror.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3. Children's names. If your child has a chavy name, Katie will not let her children associate with yours. Chavy names include country and nature names. Don't let the fact that Katie's two daughters are called after a country and flower ie India and Poppy call her a hypocrite. She is too busy dishing out judgement to be expected to live by these standards herself.

I found it hilarious when Phillip Schofield caught her out on this. Hopkins desperately tried to get out of it but she knew that she'd cocked up when saying that. There was absolutely no way she could get out of it because she was basically criticising something that she'd done herself. This shows that she mustn't believe a lot of what she says. She's obviously just trying to keep the money coming in by trying to be controversial.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst thing about Hopkins is how much money she'll be making via being a professional troll. That's what I do find truly abhorrent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

. She is the epitome of Daily Mail readers and as such, appeals to a certain audience.

Agh now you sound like her, labelling everyone who reads the DM as holding all these opinions. Well that is tosh as I regulary read the DM and I don't hold of her opinions. I actually don't care what her opinions are and neither should anyone else.
This discussion has been closed.