Options

Blank DVD's are not recognised...grrr!

I've made a DVD on Windows Moviemaker for a birthday present and it's basically photographs with songs on in the background. Fairly simple. I wanted to 'publish' it, so it converted it to 'Windows DVD Maker' and everything was ok.

HOWEVER, when I come to actually burn it on to DVD, the drive doesn't recognise that there is a blank DVD in, and keeps saying 'Please insert DVD in drive E'. I'd tried DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R and DVD+R. I've cleaned the DVD driver with a disc cleaner thing, I've put in a normal DVD and it played that, but it just WON'T recognise that there is a DVD in it. I've done regedit and made sure the settings are correct, and it burns CD's no problem at all.

Any help would be appreciated, as I'm so close to just kicking the stupid thing! :mad: :o

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this may sound stupid and apologise if it is but, are you sure the drive is actually a DVD burner and not just a DVD with CD-RW capabilities? Have you successfully burned a DVD before in this drive?
  • Options
    gemchickengemchicken Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty sure it's a DVD burner, my Dad has burnt data to DVD's before, but not movies.

It's just not working!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I click on 'My Computer' the drive is called 'DVD/CD-RW' does that mean it's not a DVD burner? Would it be 'DVD-RW/CD-RW'? if it was or does that not mean anything?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gemchicken wrote: »
    When I click on 'My Computer' the drive is called 'DVD/CD-RW' does that mean it's not a DVD burner? Would it be 'DVD-RW/CD-RW'? if it was or does that not mean anything?

Unfortunately, I think that's only a CDRW and DVD reader. If it had DVD burning capabilites it would simply be called 'DVD R(W) Drive' in explorer (My Computer) as that's what mine says.

I may be wrong though. :)
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Do you know what model it is?

You can find out by right-clicking on My Computer, select Properties, then Hardware, then Device Manager and click on the + next to DVD/CD-ROM Drives
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no :(

If that's the case, then that really really sucks, and the dude in the shop was lying!

I hope not, I'll have to tell my Dad and see if he can fix it.

Is it possible to burn data onto a DVD, if you only have a CD rewriter? Or would it not recognise it as specifically a CD, and reject it? I mean, does it have to be a CD, rather than a DVD, when it;s only data being burnt on it?

Thanks for all your help!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Do you know what model it is?

You can find out by right-clicking on My Computer, select Properties, then Hardware, then Device Manager and click on the + next to DVD/CD-ROM Drives

If I've done this right, it's PBDS CDRWDVD DH-48C2S ATA

I hope that makes more sense to you than it does me! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's made by Philips and on this site is doesn't say it's a DVD burner. First post on that page by the way. Just reads DVDs I'm afraid. I'd go back to the shop and complain if he told you it was capable of burning DVDs.

This will definitely be of use to you (the discs that drive reads and writes):

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/P137079/en/spec.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's really pants. At least I know now I guess! Now I gotta find someone who does have a DVD burner so I can get this present sorted out!

Thanks for all your help, it's been great! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh that site is great, thank you! I'll show my Dad, he'll know what to do! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I found this page

It can only write CDs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank You ClarkF1, I'm pretty annoyed at the man in the shop now! So, it definately can't write DVDs :( I had a horrible feeling that it couldn't, but I was just hoping it was me being dumb and doing something wrong!
    Thanks for all your help basketcase3000 and ClarkF1, really appreciate it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could render your Windows Moviemaker movie into an AVI or MPG and then put the file (as long as it will fit) onto a normal CD. Then give them the CD for their birthday and tell them to put it into a PC to view it.

Windows Moviemaker gives you that option - to save as an AVI or MPG - I believe.

edit; Where it says 'Publish to', click 'This computer' or 'Recordable CD'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a nice thought, but it's for my Grandma and she doesn't have a PC, she struggles with her DVD player! Honestly, we tell her to use the one remote control for it all but go and visit her, and you'll find at least 5 remotes for different things, dotted about her living room!

I think my best bet is going to be either buying an external DVD rewriter, which costs loads I think, or sweet talking and fluttering my eyelashes at a friend, to talk them into burning it for me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have that, got her freeview box setup, told her to leave it on so that as soon as she turns on her TV it automatically switches to AV1 and freeview and then ONLY to use her freeview remote to change channel, volume, etc.

Yet every time I go round there it's back to analogue TV again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich2k wrote: »
    Yet every time I go round there it's back to analogue TV again!

With about 5 remote controls neatly lined up on the arm bit of the armchair and them asking you to 'fix it, I don't know what's broke' :D

Aw we love em really!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think my best bet is going to be either buying an external DVD rewriter, which costs loads I think,

Not that much, e.g. LG DVD RW External DVD-RW

CD/DVD Speeds: Write 48x (CD) / 20x (DVD±R) / 10x (DVD±R DL)
    CD / DVD Rewrite Speeds: 32x (CD) / 6x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW) / 12x (DVD-RAM)

Only £35 inc. VAT.

I use Microdirect all the time and never had a problem

Sadly this one's sold out at the moment but it's just an idea of what's out there
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Not that much, e.g. LG DVD RW External DVD-RW

CD/DVD Speeds: Write 48x (CD) / 20x (DVD±R) / 10x (DVD±R DL)
    CD / DVD Rewrite Speeds: 32x (CD) / 6x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW) / 12x (DVD-RAM)

Only £35 inc. VAT.

I use Microdirect all the time and never had a problem

Sadly this one's sold out at the moment but it's just an idea of what's out there

that drive isn't up too much,i'd say the most common discs in the uk are dvd-r and that writer doesn't write to them.
    Best to get something with full dvd-r support.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beintot wrote: »
    that drive isn't up too much,i'd say the most common discs in the uk are dvd-r and that writer doesn't write to them.
    Best to get something with full dvd-r support.
    It does do - media.

It's just that Microdirect don't make it too clear but if you look closly you'll see the +s are actually +/-s

And this is what LG have to say about it....

http://us.lge.com/download/product/file/1000003208/gsae60l_spec_sheet.pdf
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    It does do - media.

It's just that Microdirect don't make it too clear but if you look closly you'll see the +s are actually +/-s

And this is what LG have to say about it....

http://us.lge.com/download/product/file/1000003208/gsae60l_spec_sheet.pdf

yes you're right,i did think it was a bit odd not to have dvd-r support.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It does say 20x (DVD±R) in the write specs I posted above which I assume means writes DVD+R and DVD-R at 20x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've made a DVD on Windows Moviemaker for a birthday present and it's basically photographs with songs on in the background. Fairly simple. I wanted to 'publish' it, so it converted it to 'Windows DVD Maker' and everything was ok.

HOWEVER, when I come to actually burn it on to DVD, the drive doesn't recognise that there is a blank DVD in, and keeps saying 'Please insert DVD in drive E'. I'd tried DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R and DVD+R. I've cleaned the DVD driver with a disc cleaner thing, I've put in a normal DVD and it played that, but it just WON'T recognise that there is a DVD in it. I've done regedit and made sure the settings are correct, and it burns CD's no problem at all.

Any help would be appreciated, as I'm so close to just kicking the stupid thing! :mad: :o

Whilst not trying to teach granny to suck eggs, are you sure the DVD Writer recognises the type of Disk you are using? some only support DVD+R/RW others only DVD-R/RW
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    john5197 wrote: »
    Whilst not trying to teach granny to suck eggs, are you sure the DVD Writer recognises the type of Disk you are using? some only support DVD+R/RW others only DVD-R/RW

We've already determined it's a DVD reader that can only write CDs and not DVDs. :D

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've already determined it's a DVD reader that can only write CDs and not DVDs. :D

Sorry that's one of the postings I hadn't read....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    john5197 wrote: »
    Sorry that's one of the postings I hadn't read....

I do that often enough. :D