New Kindle now for £109/149. Absolute bargain.

1303132333436»

Comments

• Arthur.CrumbleArthur.Crumble Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackthom wrote: »
    The Kindle screen doesn't actively emit light in the way TV screens do and can't possibly be damaged by the passive image it's displaying.

So leaving it on in sleep all the time is ok apart from draining the battery a wee bit?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So leaving it on in sleep all the time is ok apart from draining the battery a wee bit?

yeah it uses hardly any power while in sleep. Mine lasts weeks on a single charge.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    And if you fall asleep while reading it will wait a while then fall asleep too. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://i51.tinypic.com/242eyrc.jpg

Just grabbed this screenshot of the Amazon.co.uk homepage, showing the 3G Kindle for £189. When you click through it is still advertised at £152. Price increase in the pipeline?
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3G is $189 at amazon.com. Could be just a glitch.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought one of these today. It's a very nice device.. so small and light. I bought it with the aim of reading programming books on it and I'm a little unsure now about how difficult it's going to get to read the actual programming language samples on it. I'll have to wait and see I guess. Anyone else use a kindle to lean programming languages find it isn't too bad?
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 2 technical books on it, one about WPF and one about MVVM. It's OK, code samples are readable just fine, but I guess it depends on a particular book.
  • rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    Not had a problem with that Inspiration, although not been viewing any long sections of code more reading for guidance.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Bought one of these today. It's a very nice device.. so small and light. I bought it with the aim of reading programming books on it and I'm a little unsure now about how difficult it's going to get to read the actual programming language samples on it. I'll have to wait and see I guess. Anyone else use a kindle to lean programming languages find it isn't too bad?

It's OK, but I find the Kindle app on an iPad or on a second monitor on my PC better for works where I want to see more of the page. I find the larger Kindle DX is also better for reference works.

That being said, the standard Kindle is fine for language books too, it's just not quite as responsive as the iPad or PC versions if you want to skip around a lot.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    It's OK, but I find the Kindle app on an iPad or on a second monitor on my PC better for works where I want to see more of the page. I find the larger Kindle DX is also better for reference works.

That being said, the standard Kindle is fine for language books too, it's just not quite as responsive as the iPad or PC versions if you want to skip around a lot.

I agree, I use the iPad for text books and things like that and the Kindle for novels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    My kindle, bought last October, developed a tiny hairline crack on the casing at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I phoned customer service just now and a brand new one is on it's way to me, I should have it tomorrow.
    Apparently it has happened to a few people, I'm guessing a faulty batch or something, but great customer service as always :)
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Fralie wrote: »
    My kindle, bought last October, developed a tiny hairline crack on the casing at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I phoned customer service just now and a brand new one is on it's way to me, I should have it tomorrow.
    Apparently it has happened to a few people, I'm guessing a faulty batch or something, but great customer service as always :)

Thanks for mentioning that :) I noticed mine has the same - i'll send them an email!
  • spaceman05spaceman05 Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you have to return the cracked one, if not might be a good way to get a spare kindle for free:eek:;)
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaceman05 wrote: »
    Do you have to return the cracked one, if not might be a good way to get a spare kindle for free:eek:;)

Amazon normally blocks the old Kindle from being registered with them again.

That means you can't use it to download books from the Kindle Store or to use the 3G feature if the Kindle has it.

You can still load books onto it using USB though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mine has a small hairline crack about 15mm long in the bottom left corner, but I would feel a bit churlish seeing as how it in no way affects the use of the unit.
    Forum Member

Yes you do have to return the old one.

One reason i have returned mine is the crack was getting a lot bigger and getting towards the edge of the unit, and i dont want it to start falling apart
    Forum Member
    Mine has a small hairline crack about 15mm long in the bottom left corner, but I would feel a bit churlish seeing as how it in no way affects the use of the unit.

Just to add, in all honesty i would have sent it back anyway, I didn't pay over £100 on something to have it spontaneously develop cracks due to a manufacturing fault! :)
  • this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I had a Kindle replaced because of a faulty screen. They said I had a month to return the old one, else I'd get charged for the new one.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I adore my Kindle. It's probably one of the best companion devices I have got. I much prefer reading on Kindle than on iPad2 to be honest. To me they are for different things.