Lets kill Hitler an embarrassing episode?

TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I was watching Lets kill hitler my uncle came into the house and after a few minutes he said why are you watching that Sh%t and it was during the part where River was annoying and I had to sit and explain to him that Doctor Who is never usually like that. So have any of you guys found Lets kill hitler embarrassing to watch or any other Who episodes?

Comments

• Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a very good episode actually. Love the editing and direction especially. Very snappy. Oh and the post regeneration scene with River is brilliant, imho.

I wouldn't say I find any episode embarrassing to watch. It's a TV series, what is there to be embarrassed about? There are a few episodes I don't like, but thats kind of different.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, Let's Kill Hitler is awesome!! I loved it then and I stick by the excitement of challenging the whole premise that you could time-travel and kill Hitler :eek: :D

Having someone walk in when you are watch a cartoon reconstruction of Marco Polo.. that's embarrassing :o :eek:
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, be thankful you don't have to defend watching pro wrestling to people, cos that really is a bitch to explain. :p
  • TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Yeah, be thankful you don't have to defend watching pro wrestling to people, cos that really is a bitch to explain. :p

Actually I do since it went PG people think it's a kids show. Long live the Attitude era.
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    I admit River was really annoying but what I found embarrassing was the young Amy, Rory and Mels part because it felt like something from CBBC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the contrary its a favourite....if you lvoe a show dont let it embarrass you....anything can be shit or anything can be the best thing ever....just let it happen.

But IMO Lets Kill Hitler is one of the finest episodes the show has had, superb acting, script, direction, everything! Bit of a tour-de-force tbh.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought LKH was OK - a bit too farcical considering the background (lost baby), and for that reason annoying, but not embarrasing.

However, I watched Christmas in Narnia with some relatives who don't usually watch DW and I was never so embarrassed in my life. They were fairly polite about it, but I could tell they couldn't understand why I wanted to watch such drivel. And, of course it's useless to tell them that DW is usually good and sometimes very good - they're not going to watch it again, and they think I've lost my marbles, and that's it.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TLC1098 wrote: »
    Actually I do since it went PG people think it's a kids show. Long live the Attitude era.

It is if it's WWE rubbish. Long live TNA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought LKH was OK - a bit too farcical considering the background (lost baby), and for that reason annoying, but not embarrasing.

However, I watched Christmas in Narnia with some relatives who don't usually watch DW and I was never so embarrassed in my life. They were fairly polite about it, but I could tell they couldn't understand why I wanted to watch such drivel. And, of course it's useless to tell them that DW is usually good and sometimes very good - they're not going to watch it again, and they think I've lost my marbles, and that's it.

I agree 100% granny. Christmas day isn't a day you sit red faced, with your mouth covered cringing while your relatives laugh at you.

When I watched Christmas in Narnia my brother and his girlfriend were over and they had never watched a Who episode in their life and they thought I was some weirdo becuase I liked Who and I tried my best to explain to them that Doctor Who is a top noch show but they were having none of it and to make matters worse most of my chrismas presents were Doctor Who related. That episode ruined a perfect christmas day! :mad::mad:
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I loved Lets Kill Hitler... aside from the odd plot element I found a bit jarring, the episode itself was brilliant. There were several cheesy elements to it, but I think these all worked well.

And on the topic of the Christmas episode, I'd have to agree. I was REALLY ill on Christmas Day. I'd fallen ill on my birthday two days earlier, and had barely moved since. But I struggled to get up to watch Doctor Who, and was embarrassed at the effort I'd made to watch it when I'd happily have just caught it on iPlayer a week later - never would I have imagined saying that about an episode of DW.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great line from Rory........."Oh shut up Hitler!" Also, Rory punching Hitler!!!:D
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimthepig wrote: »
    I agree 100% granny. Christmas day isn't a day you sit red faced, with your mouth covered cringing while your relatives laugh at you.

When I watched Christmas in Narnia my brother and his girlfriend were over and they had never watched a Who episode in their life and they thought I was some weirdo becuase I liked Who and I tried my best to explain to them that Doctor Who is a top noch show but they were having none of it and to make matters worse most of my chrismas presents were Doctor Who related. That episode ruined a perfect christmas day! :mad::mad:

My family know how Who-mad I am so they all rushed into the room (i prefer watching it on my own they all talk) saying how much of a nice episode it was and asking if I enjoyed it and it was the biggest piece of drivel since Fear Her and at least I partially enjoyed that first time round! (Due to being about 12 and therefore adoring any Doctor Who episode). It's the worst episode of the Moffat era by a distance.

Back onto Let's Kill Hitler, this is not an embarrassing episode by any stretch of the imagination. It fell away a bit towards the end and became more than a little predictable but even so, it was a very good episode and when Mels started to regenerate my jaw hit the floor.

Edit: I'm being a tad harsh, I adored the last three minutes and the scene with Amy and Rory. But otherwise, it's the first episode of Doctor Who i actually was waiting for it to finish!
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it far from embarrassing. Compared to some of the drivel that was served up in Series 5 it was an absolutely brilliant episode.

After the mess and incohesion of A Good Man Goes To War, I was expecting more of the same as this was a follow on episode but it really surprised me and it couldn't have been more different. It was a reasonably straight forward plot and I loved it. Definitely one of Matt Smith's top three episodes for me.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's Kill Hitler is great, TDTWATW.... really isn't. Although at least both of them have really good prequel scenes!
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I liked the episode, but to be honest I know people who'd walk into any Doctor Who episode and ask "Why are you watching this $4!7%?"
  • EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The concept of Mels felt too much like it was a plucked out of thin air, IMO. It would have been great if she was a blink and you'll miss it character in the Eleventh Hour, to strengthen the arc a bit.
  • king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's Kill Hitler is IMO the worst episode of doctor who ever. The setting doesn't have any impact on the story, River Song or Melody acts better for a soap opera than Doctor Who. No one imposes any threat at all, the Doctor just is dying for half the episode. Criticise episodes like The Twin Dilemma, Timelash,Time-Flight, Love and Monsters of Fear Her, you'll never escape the box of stupidity and boringness that is Let's Kill Hitler.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    TLC1098 wrote: »
    When I was watching <enter any sci fi fantasy programme here> my uncle came into the house and after a few minutes he said why are you watching that Sh%t

If your uncle is anything like any member of my own family, I think my amendment to your quote above is probably more accurate!

There are lots out there who, unless they are watching sport or soaps or documentaries, will often react in the same way! They see fantasy they switch off, nothing you can do to save them from their fate I'm afraid, I wouldn't even bother trying to explain it to them!:D:D
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's Kill Hitler is IMO the worst episode of doctor who ever. The setting doesn't have any impact on the story, River Song or Melody acts better for a soap opera than Doctor Who. No one imposes any threat at all, the Doctor just is dying for half the episode. Criticise episodes like The Twin Dilemma, Timelash,Time-Flight, Love and Monsters of Fear Her, you'll never escape the box of stupidity and boringness that is Let's Kill Hitler.
    Some people probably liked watching him dying for - never mind! :o *leaves*
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    If your uncle is anything like any member of my own family, I think my amendment to your quote above is probably more accurate!

There are lots out there who, unless they are watching sport or soaps or documentaries, will often react in the same way! They see fantasy they switch off, nothing you can do to save them from their fate I'm afraid, I wouldn't even bother trying to explain it to them!:D:D
    Your family sounds better than mine, one of them will find an excuse to say everything I like is sh%t i.e. Doctor Who is a babies programme, horror films are all the same, Great Ormond Street is depressing, 8 Out Of 10 Cats is rude and full of cock jokes and so on. I'm sure they're just saying it for a laugh though :p:D
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one of my FAVOURITE episodes, so brilliant
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Some people probably liked watching him dying for - never mind! :o *leaves*

Your family sounds better than mine, one of them will find an excuse to say everything I like is sh%t i.e. Doctor Who is a babies programme, horror films are all the same, Great Ormond Street is depressing, 8 Out Of 10 Cats is rude and full of cock jokes and so on. I'm sure they're just saying it for a laugh though :p:D

They're pointing out things that are true (except the first two, obviously...), but why are they bad things? That's what makes those shows what they are!
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    They're pointing out things that are true (except the first two, obviously...), but why are they bad things? That's what makes those shows what they are!
    Surely it's a matter of opinion whether they are true or not, well maybe apart from the last one, but all adult comedies have just as many rude jokes, including the ones we all watch. :confused::D
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I love it. It's bonkers as hell but never boring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fear Her. Even the staunchest defenders of that episode probably won't claim it's one of the best of the new run, and I really can't find any room in my heart for it. First watch was particularly annoying though. I'd spent months trying to convince a couple of my fairly cynical mates that Doctor Who was actually amazing, and I'd finally convinced them to sit down and watch an episode with me. What did we get? scribble monsters and the doctor carrying the olympic torch. Never lived it down, never convinced them to watch anything ever again.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked Let's Kill Hitler, certainly not an episode I'd call embarassing.

Love & Monsters, Fear Her, Night Terrors, Closing Time and the Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe on the other hand...