One-Shot monsters and villains you'd like to see return

James_VickJames_Vick Posts: 632
Forum Member
✭✭
Everybody knows the Daleks, the Cybermen and the Master, but what about those great monsters who have only appeared once in the TV series, monsters and villains that where good enough to appear in more stories but didn't, who would you like to see back.

My choices: The Valeyard, the Rutans, Fenric, the Celestial Toymaker and the Axons.

Note: I am really please the Zygons are returning for the 50th, as they most certainly would have been in my choices.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    My 1st choice for a one-shot villain returning would be the Beast from series 2. I think he was a great villain and is big bad material. I remember thinking that it was the Beast that would come out of the void-sphere in the series 2 finale. I also thought that it could be him in the Specials after that quote "he is returning, he is returning through the dark". We saw him wreak havock on an abandoned planet. What if he made it to civilization?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Family of Blood
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sutekh.
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robots of Death
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Metebelis Spiders
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Zygons would have been one of mine too.

The Daemons, the Krynoids, the Ogri, the Terileptils and the Andragums might all have mileage. Maybe the Wirrn too.

And I agree with the Family of Blood. After all, they are still alive - eternally so!
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stones of blood .......

halloween night.

"was that a local kid just rang our doorbell then ran off?".

"no dear, just stonehenge out for an evening stroll ........"
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    May be an odd answer, but I'll say The Nimon.

Horns was butt, but they had potential as baddies.

Unless you count the Minotaur from God Complex as a return.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    The Zygons are a must, and more than the likely limited role they'll play in TDotD. That being said
    they're speculated to return in a Tom MacRae episode of Series 8, called The Zygons, so...who knows? The ovehauled costume design was suggest plans to bring them back.

I liked the Headless Monks from Series 6. Either them or their church order would make for an interesting return. I always enjoy it when Doctor Who explores faith/religious order.

I think The Beast would make for a great return story...he's finale material really. I too genuinely thought he was to make a return in the End of Time. Hopefully any return appearance would be better done than the appearance of Abaddon in Torchwood (which was fleetingly short and shallow).

I'm cheating here, but the Sontarans have only had one proper story about them since their return in Series 4. I would love another Sontaran story in future, with or without Strax,
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The candyman.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The dream lord from amys choice :)
  • James_VickJames_Vick Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The candyman.

please tell me thats a joke :p
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not technically villians, but the Draconians looked so cool. Terrific design on these creatures. And quite a well thought out culture too.
    Having said that I wonder if a 21st century revamp might leave them looking too close to the Silurian revamp...

Seeing D84 in That Teaser for TDOTD made me realise what a superb design the Robots Of Death were. Would be great to have these back again. Very creepy.
  • Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    A lot of good suggestions here. :)

Agree about bringing back the Draconians -they looked great even today. Amazing how little they were used in the 70's -Pertwees favourite btw. Could look great today & could work across multiple storylines. But yeah agree with you Adams might look a little similar to Silurians (which I'm not a fan of to be honest -the original 1970 version, even with zips etc showing, were the best).

Problems with something like the Axons is great idea but not sure if it can progress outside of a similar story to Claws of Axos(?)

I'd like a spooky Invasion of the Body Snatchers type story set on earth -something like the Android Invasion or The Faceless Ones -both a couple of my favourite stories.

I've just watched Terror of the Zygons again -what a great story, really well done in terms of atmosphere & pacing :D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The Vardans were fun until you got to see their physical form which just looked daft.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Monoids, the security kitchen needs updating.
  • MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    The Krynoids or Morbius in his entirety (not just the brain).
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vardans were fun until you got to see their physical form which just looked daft.

You must have a different idea of fun than I do! :)

I think that part of the point of the Vardans was that the weirdly silly foil shapes would lead the audience to expect that something rather more impressive would eventually appear. But then some deeply unimpressive humans took the place of the foil which cleverly subverted our expectations.
    At least I hope that this was the idea - otherwise the production team simply substituted a really rubbish monster with really dull humans. Either way, I can't see them ever coming back.

Speaking of rubbish monsters - I'm with Batmannequin on this, but the Nimon, surely the Kings of crap monsters, do actually have potential. Perhaps it would be difficult to do something new with them, perhaps their story has already been told, but I'd argue that the premise of the Nimon is pretty strong.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the Voord ever got a fair chance. They deserve another try.

Anything but the Androgums.

The Vardans were a nice foil for the Time Lords. :p
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rutans, Tereleptils, Drahvins, Wirrn, Draconians, Movellans.

The Monk, played by Michael Palin.
    The Rani, played by Daniela Nardini (although Kate O'Mara is still keen).
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    The reapers from fathers day
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Shakri definitely. I thought the idea behind the Shakri was intriguing, but it was a shame they only appeared on screen for 2 minutes. The idea of "The pest controllers of the universe" who featured in the legends of the Time Lords is one I would have much preferred to have learnt more about, but for the 2 minutes they were on-screen, they were utterly chilling. I want to learn more about them and I want to find out more about this "tally".

"The TALLY must be met."
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    The reapers from fathers day

Ooh! Yeah!
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see those 'Mechanoids' from the 'Chase' story in the 60's!! They were a bit silly, but huge and supposedly menacing!! I think in these days of CGI - they could be made quite menacing!! :confused::confused:
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billis Manger from Torchwood