What license is required to drive 3.5ton

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 809
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi just wondering if anybody knew if i could drive a 3.5 tonne van on my normal driving license or is there another license you have to apply for?

If so how much does it cost for this other license?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    depends when you passed your test, I passed back in 1991 and can drive upto a 7.5ton on that licence, but things have changed, so you might want to see what it actually says you can drive on the licence (picture licences says at the bottom or back (letter codes).

Edit :- This might help:

http://www.tribal-living.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=101
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    I think 3.5 is the limit for a normal license. Have a look here for your answer
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies i shall look on my license im guessing that it has to have C on my license if i am able to drive one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hi again i have got my license on it its says b b1 f k and p any1 shed any light on what this allows me to drive the sites are good if you can understand them lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stephenc40 wrote: »
    hi again i have got my license on it its says b b1 f k and p any1 shed any light on what this allows me to drive the sites are good if you can understand them lol

DVLA website.

These are the categories.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547
  • DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stephenc40 wrote: »

3.5 tonne van but no trailer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks i dont mean to be rude DerekP but are you sure this is correct? Its just when i look on the above website its says CARS with or without a trailer up to 3500kgs. then it says..

Medium sized vehicles with or without trailers between 3500 and 7500kgs.

Would a van come under cars or medium?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hi again would just like to apologise for not trusting you lol!

Rang up the dvla as this has got to be the most simplest way to find out (dont know why i didnt just do that in the first place) and queried the car bit and he said ye that car cans are all the same as long as it does not exceed 3.5 ton

Thanks All