Shows Not Returning to UK - WHY???

Katiekat1Katiekat1 Posts: 119
Forum Member
Cant find a thread similar to this so sorry if there is already one...

But what the &*^ is up with shows like Supernatural, Pretty Little Liars and Hart of Dixie not coming back on Living, MTV and Really? Where am I supposed to watch them now? I've put up with a few shaky seasons of Supernatural but overall watched every ep for 8 years and now its done? I know HOD wasn't the most popular but still, it was one of the few shows that was a nice little escape a bit like Gilmore Girls used to be - just frustrating! I guess ill rob a bank for the box set?

makes me even more angry that these shows are being replaced by absolute drivel like "Americas Next Top Ghosthunters" or "I thought I was the Biggest Loser that had Four Weddings but I Didn't Know I was Pregnant". Bollocks.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't affect me as i watch 90 per cent of everything online but i can see how annoying it is. It just leads to more and more people wanting to illegally download or stream.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    It happens because more people are downloading as soon as things are shown in USA, So when they are shown over here the viewing figures are low, Therefore no UK channels will pay the money to show them

So people who say it leads to more downloading are wrong, It is the downloading that leads to the UK cancellations

If people had a bit more patience then it would be better all round
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    It happens because more people are downloading as soon as things are shown in USA, So when they are shown over here the viewing figures are low, Therefore no UK channels will pay the money to show them

So people who say it leads to more downloading are wrong, It is the downloading that leads to the UK cancellations

I don't think it's entirely due to downloading - I suspect it does play a part, but I don't personally think it's the sole reason.
  • Katiekat1Katiekat1 Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    and the next thing is these shows get cancelled altogether because of false viewing figures...

so I have to "illegally" stream/download shows I want to watch in order to watch them or just forget about them?

With the hundreds of channels on sky you'd think one of them would pick up these shows. lately it seems that new shows only get one season and if theyre not monster hits they're gone, but I guess that's another issue for another thread!

living is the worst culprit, they basically nicked supernatural off itv2 where it had good timeslot, was getting good promotion and stuck it on late at night and what was up with doubling up the episodes the last two seasons? and I only knew it was back on because of the forums on here! yet they agree to buy cycle 117 of Americas next top model?

was also looking forward to seeing what carrie diaries was like but that never seemed to make it over here either.
    Forum Member
    Americas next top model is cheap to buy, New flashy shows are more expensive and that is it basically

But i agree about channels stealing shows and then hiding them late at night without telling you they are there
  • Katiekat1Katiekat1 Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    well I am just going to go and drink wine and watch Teen Mom meets a Catfish if that is what the world has come to.

But yes, these reality type shows are very cheap to make thus sell so I can see where the vicious cycle has begun...

I don't know whether to blame Big Brother, a Kardashian or Brian Belo (sorry, I mean ITV ahem) for all of this!
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering the same thing about Enlightened on Sky Atlantic. They are usually good with keeping up to date on US imports, but for a whole year I thought they either completely forgot about this great little show or decided to drop it altogether because it got cancelled. But then suddenly, a year later, they decided to show re-runs of the first season! I'm hoping this means they'll finally air the second season or I'll just have to give in and watch online which I hate doing (unless it's Netflix or Amazon, both of which are installed on my TV, anyway).
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LolaSvelt wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing about Enlightened on Sky Atlantic. They are usually good with keeping up to date on US imports, but for a whole year I thought they either completely forgot about this great little show or decided to drop it altogether because it got cancelled. But then suddenly, a year later, they decided to show re-runs of the first season! I'm hoping this means they'll finally air the second season or I'll just have to give in and watch online which I hate doing (unless it's Netflix or Amazon, both of which are installed on my TV, anyway).

Same here! I've been waiting over a year for Enlightened season 2 (final season) and they STILL haven't shown it. Like you i've also noticed the repeats of Season 1 but what's worrying is that they just showed Season 1 which finished a couple of weeks back and now they're repeating Season 1 again!!! :o

I'm also still waiting for Bored to Death season 3 (final season) on Sky Atlantic too. Been waiting almost 2 years for that as well. They repeated Season 2 a few months back but still nothing happening for S3.

Like you i also hate watching things online, simply prefer watching on a normal television. Why buy shows if you're not going to show them?!?!?! It's a shambles.
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,427
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Same here! I've been waiting over a year for Enlightened season 2 (final season) and they STILL haven't shown it. Like you i've also noticed the repeats of Season 1 but what's worrying is that they just showed Season 1 which finished a couple of weeks back and now they're repeating Season 1 again!!! :o

I'm also still waiting for Bored to Death season 3 (final season) on Sky Atlantic too. Been waiting almost 2 years for that as well. They repeated Season 2 a few months back but still nothing happening for S3.

Like you i also hate watching things online, simply prefer watching on a normal television. Why buy shows if you're not going to show them?!?!?! It's a shambles.

You know you can buy a hdmi cable so you can watch it online and put it on your tv. It seems crazy that you have been waiting two years to watch a season and you have no idea if it's ever coming back on uk tv.

Yes I prefer watching it on tv, but sometimes you just have no other choice. Surely it's better watching online than not at all?
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    You know you can buy a hdmi cable so you can watch it online and put it on your tv. It seems crazy that you have been waiting two years to watch a season and you have no idea if it's ever coming back on uk tv.

Yes I prefer watching it on tv, but sometimes you just have no other choice. Surely it's better watching online than not at all?

I agree, and i'm not saying i don't ever watch things online because i do but overall i prefer to just watch on a tv. As for HDMI, my tv doesn't have that connection.
  • Alpha32Alpha32 Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky have ruined Living since they bought it back from Virgin(TV) Media.
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I agree that it's incredibly annoying that so many UK channels are dropping US shows lately it doesn't mean that you can't ever watch them especially shows like supernatural or hart of Dixie as they will be released on DVD boxset which are a lot cheaper these days than they ever used to be!

Personally I prefer to watch things on a big screen but as someone who enjoys the shows I watch too much to miss out on them altogether I just put up with watching them online on a smaller screen ;-)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalie77 wrote: »
    Personally I prefer to watch things on a big screen but as someone who enjoys the shows I watch too much to miss out on them altogether I just put up with watching them online on a smaller screen ;-)

Same here. I can't really understand why people would want to sit in front of a computer monitor and watch something. Most BluRay and DVD players nowadays have USB slots and will play most types of video file so i don't know why people don't download the file, put it on a USB stick and watch it on a 'proper' television.

Anyway, I can understand why something like Supernatural would be dropped due to poor viewing figures because Sky were a year behind the states. I think it was Season 7 they held back for a lot longer because, according to them, they "couldn't find a place in the schedule" for it.

People will invariably get annoyed and start to look elsewhere. The one show that does puzzle me is Covert Affairs. Really weren't that far behind on showing it so I would have expected the viewing figures to be decent at least, considering the other types of shows they have on the channel.
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    Would you care to expand on that? Or is your bitchy remark enough?

and i agree, watching shows huddled around a laptop isn't good. But i got a HDMI lead to make my viewing more comfortable.

I think Straker's suggesting that if by "watch online" you mean "watch pirated", then you are contributing to an environment in which high-profile US content makes less financial sense to UK broadcasters than it used to.

I mean, it basically works like this (for anyone who is unaware):

Every year, all of the studios show all of the channels in the UK their new shows, and each channel bids for the programmes they want.

Each channel will base their bid on the amount of money they think they will make, which is largely based on the amount of viewers they think they will get for the programme, and hence the amount of advertising revenue the programmes will generate. Some companies, like Sky, Amazon and Netflix will base their bids on the amount of subscription revenue they think the programme will generate.

The most sought-after titles might go for, hypothetically, £500k an episode. At this price, only the terrestrial channels and Sky can make a profit. The majority of shows will be less, maybe £100k-£200k an episode. At that price, a fairly large non-terrestrial channel might make a slim profit if the show does well, but more often that not the show will act as a kind of loss leader - get people into the channel, and hopefully they'll watch other stuff too.

The cheapest shows, ones which nobody wants, might cost less than this, but not too much less. Most of the studios won't want to sell programmes for less than £30k an episode, because doing so would undermine their whole pricing structure. But at that price, some shows won't make a profit for anyone - small channels won't get enough viewers, while big channels could make more money if they showed something with broader appeal.

In general, viewing figures are in decline, and a result so is the amount of money that broadcasters can afford to pay for programmes. This isn't just because of piracy, but also because of increased competition within the TV environment (more channels) and without (Netflix, Blu-rays, Youtube). Problem is, the cost of making TV shows is increasing. So the studios need to continue making money back from the broadcasters.

If you were in charge of selling Supernatural, and Sky had been paying you a certain amount each year, and then they suddenly said they didn't want it anymore, what would you do? You don't want to reduce the price too much, because then they'll do that with every show. You might try selling it to someone else, but most people won't want to buy something that's declining in audience and has been rejected by another channel. So you just keep it on the shelf and hope that Netflix or Amazon might pick it up.

But if you were Sky, what would you do? You have a certain amount of money, and Supernatural isn't pulling its weight - do you just keep it because some of your viewers have been watching it for eight years. Maybe, but it really depends on how much it's costing you.

If you ran a shop and you made a massive loss on a particular product, but one of your regular customers absolutely loved it, would you carry on selling it?
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »

Of course more people are going to download shows like Supernatural when it took the likes of Sky almost a year to bring them to British screens.
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just say that even though I'm someone who watches shows online I do also rewatch them when they air on UK tv and I'm sure I'm not alone? The only time that's not the case is where they don't actually air over here which is becoming more and more common!
    Forum Member
    Of course more people are going to download shows like Supernatural when it took the likes of Sky almost a year to bring them to British screens.

You are right of course, But you can't then have people say 'Oh no UK channel will show that show i didn't watch when they finally did show it because i watched it by other methods earlier'

You either wait and watch or don't complain when it isn't shown.
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been riveted enough by a show to want to watch it online once it stops being shown on UK tv

I'll rather read a book
    Forum Member
    natalie77 wrote: »
    Can I just say that even though I'm someone who watches shows online I do also rewatch them when they air on UK tv and I'm sure I'm not alone? The only time that's not the case is where they don't actually air over here which is becoming more and more common!

I think that's unusual, though it depends on the type of show and where it airs in the UK. If it's a sitcom and it airs on E4, then I'm sure lots of people who pirated it will watch repeats on TV. But if it's a serialised drama and it airs on, say, Fox, how many people do you think are going to rewatch it? Not many, I'd guess.
  • JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    You can add Season 4 of the Walking Dead to that list. I dont have Sky and dont want to watch a 240p version of it on some dodgy website.

I will wait until it comes on US Netflix in September :kitty:
    Forum Member
    You can add Season 4 of the Walking Dead to that list. I dont have Sky and dont want to watch a 240p version of it on some dodgy website.

I will wait until it comes on US Netflix in September :kitty:

Not to encourage piracy, but you do know that you can download a high-def version within a couple of hours of the US premiere?

But on a broader note, if people are prepared to wait until Netflix acquires something, then you can expect UK broadcasters - especially pay broadcasters - to acquire less US drama.
    Forum Member
    Not to encourage piracy, but you do know that you can download a high-def version within a couple of hours of the US premiere?

But on a broader note, if people are prepared to wait until Netflix acquires something, then you can expect UK broadcasters - especially pay broadcasters - to acquire less US drama.

I had no idea that you could do that. For walking dead I cant be bothered tbh, rather too much talking and sitting around so thats why I am willing to wait. Besides zombies or walkers are everywhere in film and tv at the moment.

What will happen is that UK broadcasters will insist that Netflix prevents us from watching US Netflix.
    Forum Member
    I had no idea that you could do that. For walking dead I cant be bothered tbh, rather too much talking and sitting around so thats why I am willing to wait. Besides zombies or walkers are everywhere in film and tv at the moment.

What will happen is that UK broadcasters will insist that Netflix prevents us from watching US Netflix.

But what will happen in the long term is that people will drop their Sky subscriptions, and Netflix will end up acquiring the UK rights to more content, as they did with Breaking Bad, or as Amazon have done with Extant.
    Forum Member
    But what will happen in the long term is that people will drop their Sky subscriptions, and Netflix will end up acquiring the UK rights to more content, as they did with Breaking Bad, or as Amazon have done with Extant.

Good, competition will increase innovation and lower prices. Sky have dominated everything for so long
    Forum Member
    Good, competition will increase innovation and lower prices. Sky have dominated everything for so long

Problem is, everyone loves Netflix now because it's £7 a month. But if Netflix start buying lots of other shows it will end up coming back to the consumer and then some. And in the meantime, Sky will have to start dropping channels because people are cord-cutting, which means that there won't be a home for a lot of US shows - no channels to buy them, and Netflix can't afford to pay for all of them without ramping up their subscription fee too high.