Options

Sky Plus with only one feed?

Makum101Makum101 Posts: 400
Forum Member
I'm thinking of buying an apartment property fed by a communal dish with one dish feed into each apartment. Is there a way I can split this to make two feeds for my sky plus box?

Comments

• Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would give sky a ring about this as im unsure. My friend has a community aerial as dishs arent allowed on his block, He didnt know he had sky on this until the sky man came in wired it up and turned him on at the "Box" outside. They may be able to run a second cable im unsure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    Makum101 wrote:
    I'm thinking of buying an apartment property fed by a communal dish with one dish feed into each apartment. Is there a way I can split this to make two feeds for my sky plus box?
    No. There is a thing called a stacker/destacker that will allow you to combine two feeds at the head end, and split back out again at the box. But all this does is save you running an extra cable, you still need two feeds from the dish at the head end.

Sky+ is "workable" with only one feed, albeit not a very enjoyable experience with lots of swapping of cables required. :( I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=

Sky+ is "workable" with only one feed, albeit not a very enjoyable experience with lots of swapping of cables required. :( I wouldn't recommend it.[/QUOTE]

I would be interested to hear how you "work" Sky+ with only one lead, no matter how much cable swapping it entails.

Tell us more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    claviers wrote:
    I would be interested to hear how you "work" Sky+ with only one lead, no matter how much cable swapping it entails.

Tell us more.
    I believe the quoted procedure is:
    * Cable to LNB input 1 for live viewing
    * Cable to LNB input 2 for unattended recording
    Be careful to set nothing that will cause a recording clash or dual recording.

As I say I wouldn't recommend it - but people on here have done it "in an emergency", for example waiting for a repair following a failed LNB.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I ran with one cable for a while after moving house whilst waiting for quad lnb. the single cable went to LNB 1. Timed recordings went thru LNB 2 by default meaning they failed - so set your box to record something you don't want that overlaps with the prog you do want to get - that way box is "failing" on LNB 2 but picks up the signal on LNB 1 and records your programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    cocks3 wrote:
    I ran with one cable for a while after moving house whilst waiting for quad lnb. the single cable went to LNB 1. Timed recordings went thru LNB 2 by default meaning they failed - so set your box to record something you don't want that overlaps with the prog you do want to get - that way box is "failing" on LNB 2 but picks up the signal on LNB 1 and records your programme.
    How do you know the 'dummy' programme won't be the one that records ok though?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    My box always went to input 2 first for timer recordings and given the "padding" on the recording it never failed to then switch to 1 to get the prog i wanted as 2 was "busy!".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cocks3 wrote:
    My box always went to input 2 first for timer recordings and given the "padding" on the recording it never failed to then switch to 1 to get the prog i wanted as 2 was "busy!".
    Yea but if you wanted to record a prog at 7pm you would set another 'dummy' one also for 7pm.

So with them both set at the same time, how can you guarantee what one will record through input 2?
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sleazyboy wrote:
    Yea but if you wanted to record a prog at 7pm you would set another 'dummy' one also for 7pm.

So with them both set at the same time, how can you guarantee what one will record through input 2?

Read his statement :- so set your box to record something you don't want that overlaps with the prog you do want to get - that way box is "failing" on LNB 2 but picks up the signal on LNB 1 and records your programme.

i.e. if you want something at 7.00 the other one you set to start at say 6.30 and finish after 7.00
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Read his statement :- so set your box to record something you don't want that overlaps with the prog you do want to get - that way box is "failing" on LNB 2 but picks up the signal on LNB 1 and records your programme.

i.e. if you want something at 7.00 the other one you set to start at say 6.30 and finish after 7.00
    Aah right, I get you now.
    Although you would need to leave the box on the channel you wanted to record? Or would it 'autoview' to rec?
  • Options
    Digibear1Digibear1 Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    This seems a lot of messing around to me, so if I run a second wire to my multi room box upstairs will I be able to use all the Sky+ features with out any additional cost ?.
    (as this is my 'second box' I already pay the £10 @ moth for this additonal box)

Regards......Ted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digibear1 wrote:
    so if I run a second wire to my multi room box upstairs
    What sort of wire? Have you a second LNB feed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Digibear1 wrote:
    This seems a lot of messing around to me, so if I run a second wire to my multi room box upstairs will I be able to use all the Sky+ features with out any additional cost ?.
    (as this is my 'second box' I already pay the £10 @ moth for this additonal box)
    I take it you are in the same situation as Makum101, in that you live in an appartment, but that you already have multiroom (2 standard Sky boxes).

If that is true, then yes you can run some SAT cable to the other room upstairs, and then have two feeds to your first room which you can then use for Sky+ with all the features. However what you won't be able to do is use the box upstairs. You will also need to call Sky and tell them that you want to cancel your multiroom (£10 pcm) and sign up for Sky+ (which will reinstate your £10 pcm if you have less than 2 premium channels (movies or sports)).
  • Options
    hedgidjhedgidj Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a south facing balcony you could buy one of those dishes that looks like a globe lamp and use that for your second feed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just noticed a splitter here that will sort-of work. Problem is, you'll only be able to record programmes that are on the same polarisation and band as the one you are watching. That means you'd have to draw out a table of transponders so you can plan what's possible. (My brain hurts. I'll let someone else explain). :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pcbbc wrote:
    I take it you are in the same situation as Makum101, in that you live in an apartment, but that you already have multiroom (2 standard Sky boxes).

If that is true, then yes you can run some SAT cable to the other room upstairs, and then have two feeds to your first room which you can then use for Sky+ with all the features. However what you won't be able to do is use the box upstairs. You will also need to call Sky and tell them that you want to cancel your multiroom (£10 pcm) and sign up for Sky+ (which will reinstate your £10 pcm if you have less than 2 premium channels (movies or sports)).

Got ya, This sound's like the set up I need.
    I currently have Sky+ downtairs and SKY upstairs with 1 sat cable.
    When I get HD I plan to move the SKY+ upstairs and then run a second sat cable to it, this will then use up all the 4 connections on the LNB.

Regards......Ted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Digibear1 wrote:
    I currently have Sky+ downtairs and SKY upstairs with 1 sat cable.
    When I get HD I plan to move the SKY+ upstairs and then run a second sat cable to it, this will then use up all the 4 connections on the LNB.
    If you need more then there is an octo-LNB available with highdef.
    However, here's a tip for you. When the installer comes to do the HD tell him you want HD upstairs and he will do all the hard work for you... ;)

In fact even if you are honest and say you are keeping the Sky+ box and moving it upstairs, I expect it would work. For some HD installs (those upgrading from standard Sky) they would have to do this anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good tip, Thanks pcbbc

Ted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So I have run that second cable today, I just have to wait now for the HD phone call.
    I will definatly mention to the engineer that my quad LNB is full and maybe I will get an octo ?

Ted