Options

Mother of eight Marie Buchan 'The benefits cap will make me homeless':

Comments

• Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Dove wrote: »
    No, saying she should have taken steps to avoid getting pregnant would mean that while saying she should close her legs is a vulgar comment on her sexual activity.

My opinion is those phrases aren't what we're discussing.

and you're derailing the thread. Discussion over!
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except for the remarks that she should have kept her legs shut.

You're the only one I can see who had mentioned the word ****. Having kids with just 1 man isn't being a ****! Why on Earth would you suggest that?
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luckyyem wrote: »
    I think she undermines everyone that is struggling to survive even before the proposed benefits cut. At the first sign of anything she goes running to the press, I have seen interviews with her in three different papers, plus the benefits programs she does. It's because of people like her genuine claimants get a bad name.

I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Or... It's just a phrase I see all too often when it comes to women and sex and I simply inquired why it must be used so unnecessarily? It was just a question.

I agree. Did she have sex alone? No, so why aren't any such derogatory comments thrown at the father of these 9 children? I certainly haven't seen any so why the sexism? Why is there any necessity to make such comments at all?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Which means she should have been responsible, not that she's a ****. I'm sure she isn't!

What is your opinion on the phrase 'he should have kept it in his pants' or 'he should have put something on it'??

And he shouldn't? Why?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    And he shouldn't? Why?

Is his name in the thread title? Is he complaining of impending homelessness? Has he splashed himself all over the media? However, if you bothered to read my previous posts, you will see that i hold the father equally culpable.

I'm discussing the thread subject.

Imo, she shouldn't have her benefits cut because her children would suffer. Should she have had all those kids, no, she should have taken responsibility but the horse has bolted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is his name in the thread title? Is he complaining of impending homelessness? Has he splashed himself all over the media?

I'm discussing the thread subject.

Imo, she shouldn't have her benefits cut because her children would suffer. Should she have had all those kids, no, she should have taken responsibility but the horse has bolted.

He's their father, how can he not be part of the thread topic? He left his children because he couldn't cope with them all, but this is somehow all down to her? They should have both taken responsibility about how many they both decided to create.
    Have you listened to the radio interview I linked, then they went on to have baby no. 9. They are both totally irresponsible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's their father, how can he not be part of the thread topic? He left his children because he couldn't cope with them all, but this is somehow all down to her? They should have both taken responsibility about how many they both decided to create.
    Have you listened to the radio interview I linked, then they went on to have baby no. 9. They are both totally irresponsible.

and you still haven't bothered to read my previous posts, you know, the ones where I consider him equally culpable.

However, she is the one who is bringing attention to herself by advertising how she squanders her benefits, she is the one pleading hardship, she is the one who is the subject of the thread.

If she didn't want to be in this situation she should have taken responsibility for her own actions but she didn't. Unless you're suggesting that her partner forced himself on her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and you still haven't bothered to read my previous posts, you know, the ones where I consider him equally culpable.

No I haven't and for that I apologise.
  • Options
    willow32willow32 Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They did NOT have a ninth baby, I don't know where you got that from. There was talk of using a surrogate for a ninth. But, they didn't go ahead with it.

She was on Channel 4 News tonight, in it she says she's been sterilised.

http://www.channel4.com/news/birminghams-benefits-queen-i-fear-eviction-after-budget
  • Options
    Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mother of eight? The woman is a machine!
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    willow32 wrote: »
    They did NOT have a ninth baby, I don't know where you got that from. There was talk of using a surrogate for a ninth. But, they didn't go ahead with it.

http://www.channel4.com/news/birminghams-benefits-queen-i-fear-eviction-after-budget

I thnk the poster prob saw an old article about the last baby and got confused.

however I am beyond disgusted at that article.. She is a proper scumbag
  • Options
    The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and you're derailing the thread. Discussion over!

As I have already explained it's relevant to the thread, but I agree that circular arguments with intransigents is an exercise in futility.
  • Options
    The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're the only one I can see who had mentioned the word ****. Having kids with just 1 man isn't being a ****! Why on Earth would you suggest that?

Lambasting me for something I haven't done isn't going to get the result you desire. If you are as unfamiliar with the term ****-shaming as you appear to be then this might be a good opportunity to educate yourself.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lambasting me for something I haven't done isn't going to get the result you desire. If you are as unfamiliar with the term ****-shaming as you appear to be then this might be a good opportunity to educate yourself.

I'm aware of the term, I just don't think anyone would apply it to a woman who has been sleeping with one bloke. If she had 8 kids to 8 fathers I'd agree with your point, but not in this circumstance, hence why I don't know you suggested it. I think you're looking for something that isn't there.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    This post from Lemoncurd seems to refer to the father's skin colour... http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=78887860&postcount=57

Woah, Woah...you've taken something so far outside the context there, that it has forgotten what the text's birthday is. It may still be in the Facebook friend list, but they haven't chatted in 20 years.

A "white elephant" is defined as something whose cost of maintenance vastly outweighs its usefulness. That would be unfair.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Woah, Woah...you've taken something so far outside the context there, that it has forgotten what the text's birthday is. It may still be in the Facebook friend list, but they haven't chatted in 20 years.

A "white elephant" is defined as something whose cost of maintenance vastly outweighs its usefulness. That would be unfair.

In that case I apologise.
    Although I wasn't the only one who thought that was what you meant.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I agree. Did she have sex alone? No, so why aren't any such derogatory comments thrown at the father of these 9 children? I certainly haven't seen any so why the sexism? Why is there any necessity to make such comments at all?

Probably as she is the one who went to the press, not the man.
    Why?

This is surely not a serious question. Children are a huge burden on the state in terms of education, health care and on other taxpayers (*). In case you haven't noticed, the UK, particularly England, is vastly overcrowded already and we don't need any more people here. Why do you think many of the roads are congested and trains overcrowded.

There are few parts of the UK where you can go without seeing another person all day, but in countries like the USA or Canada this is easy to achieve, due to population density.

(*) E.g. child benefit, free prescriptions, free dental care, free glasses and the like until they are 16. In some cases free school meals. And that's probably not a complete list.

Plus there is child tax credit.
    https://www.gov.uk/child-tax-credit/overview

This all costs people like me who are single and childless. People like me have to subsidise irresponsible people that have too many children. 3 is enough. If you want more all state benefits should be cut and you pay the bills, not the average Joe, except for education and essential NHS costs.
  • Options
    alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

According to that article, the father has all the children at the weekends, so why can't she get a weekend job?
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that as far back as 2nd Dec 2013 Ms Buchan was punting the same story about having just split up with her partner a short while ago. So for over a year & a half she's been saying that.

For what it's worth (probably very little since I can't flipping find a link now) I was reading an online discussion the other day regarding Ms Buchan, and somebody who claimed to know her was contributing. They claimed that Ms Buchan and the father of all her children are very much together and always have been. They said that the story of having split up with him & her ending up on benefits through no fault of her own is complete rubbish.

This person also claimed that Ms Buchan chooses not to live with, or name the father as they are deliberately playing the benefits system to its absolute fullest and know full well that if she and her boyfriend cohabit then she won't get as much money. They also said that the father does give Ms Buchan money in the form of food, clothes for the kids etc so it doesn't get deducted from her benefits

Of course what this person was saying could all have been a load of rubbish, but who knows
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see why the father may object to paying for the house and car if the mother moved another man in though, especially if it was her that dumped him.

Why? The house is still his children's home, the car will be used to ferry his kids around. Why should anyone expect the new partner to support their children just because they happen to be in a relationship with the children's other parent?

I've never got that, tbh, although it's how divorce settlements are usually done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes my apologies, so many children, so many articles. She had a hysterectomy according to this outcry to the press.
    Aug 2014

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2728767/Mother-eight-lives-2k-month-benefits-says-use-surrogate-TWO-children.html
    A single mother of eight who can no longer have children says she will use a surrogate to have another two – and claim more in benefits.
    After putting so much strain on her body by having eight children in 13 years, Marie Buchan has been forced to have a hysterectomy.
    But even though she admits struggling to control the large brood she has now, the 32-year-old plans to have two more using a surrogate mother

She certainly loves attention and whinging, and even spouts about benefits being too high in the radio interview. She also said they'd tried living together on and off and he left finally in 2011. So many stories too it seems.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01mrt94
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/femail/video-1156182/Mother-eight-Marie-Buchan-gets-shut-This-Morning.html

Dec 2013
    http://www.express.co.uk/comment/columnists/leo-mckinstry/446667/Why-does-a-mother-of-eight-think-we-owe-her-a-living

Dec 2014
    http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/benefits-mum-of-eight-marie-buchan-my-8312354

Feb 2015

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/single-mum-eight-marie-buchan-8690337

I wonder if she's ever thought about a weekend job when the father has the children? I doubt it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    If you want more all state benefits should be cut and you pay the bills, not the average Joe, except for education and essential NHS costs.

What if you cant afford to pay the bills but have additional children?
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that as far back as 2nd Dec 2013 Ms Buchan was punting the same story about having just split up with her partner a short while ago. So for over a year & a half she's been saying that.

For what it's worth (probably very little since I can't flipping find a link now) I was reading an online discussion the other day regarding Ms Buchan, and somebody who claimed to know her was contributing. They claimed that Ms Buchan and the father of all her children are very much together and always have been. They said that the story of having split up with him & her ending up on benefits through no fault of her own is complete rubbish.

This person also claimed that Ms Buchan chooses not to live with, or name the father as they are deliberately playing the benefits system to its absolute fullest and know full well that if she and her boyfriend cohabit then she won't get as much money. They also said that the father does give Ms Buchan money in the form of food, clothes for the kids etc so it doesn't get deducted from her benefits

Of course what this person was saying could all have been a load of rubbish, but who knows
    That was pretty much my thoughts on it when I read her "story". Though it would be stupid of her to do thst because she's more likely to get caught out making her life so public.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All that's missing is the phrase "getting herself pregnant" and I think I'd be calling house in the DS misogyny bingo game.