Options

Dont care about your sob story.

13»

Comments

• Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That entire segment was very heavily produced. Putting him on last, having Simon mention specifically the fact that he was the last of the day, setting up the poignant emotional scene as the judges walked away, the full back story including photos of the sadly deceased friend.

The reality is it was a producers dream segment with every second choreographed to the hilt.

Just for one moment imagine during the filming that day of X factor, someone came on who sang a song and it affected Simon to the point he was visibly emotional given the very sad personal circumstances he was going through. He would have had the choice afterwards to say, I want that edited out guys…. I don't want it shown. He does after all RUN the show.

Instead it was milked to death, so carefully edited and choreographed, the endless close ups of Simon during the song, the production of photographs of the poor guy who passed away making up the VT. Remember this would all be carefully put together after the filming that day. It was done of course to maximize the emotional response from everyone watching, and it worked !!

It reminded me of a great scene from one of my favourite movies, The Truman Show. In the movie about a guy whose life is a daily aired reality show even though he is totally unaware of this, the producers of the reality show decide to bring back the actor who played his father. Truman thinks his "father" is dead, having drowned when he was a child. So they set up the scene as his "father" suddenly appears and Truman's face is full of shock and emotion. We see the producer in the gallery set up the scene, creating the perfect emotional background music and then positioning the camera for the perfect money shot… as they embrace and cry. Cue everyone watching the show in floods of tears. A master stroke and a ratings winner in BOTH cases.
  • Options
    chackalacka1234chackalacka1234 Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conchie wrote: »
    That entire segment was very heavily produced. Putting him on last, having Simon mention specifically the fact that he was the last of the day, setting up the poignant emotional scene as the judges walked away, the full back story including photos of the sadly deceased friend.

The reality is it was a producers dream segment with every second choreographed to the hilt.

Just for one moment imagine during the filming that day of X factor, someone came on who sang a song and it affected Simon to the point he was visibly emotional given the very sad personal circumstances he was going through. He would have had the choice afterwards to say, I want that edited out guys…. I don't want it shown. He does after all RUN the show.

Instead it was milked to death, so carefully edited and choreographed, the endless close ups of Simon during the song, the production of photographs of the poor guy who passed away making up the VT. Remember this would all be carefully put together after the filming that day. It was done of course to maximize the emotional response from everyone watching, and it worked !!

It reminded me of a great scene from one of my favourite movies, The Truman Show. In the movie about a guy whose life is a daily aired reality show even though he is totally unaware of this, the producers of the reality show decide to bring back the actor who played his father. Truman thinks his "father" is dead, having drowned when he was a child. So they set up the scene as his "father" suddenly appears and Truman's face is full of shock and emotion. We see the producer in the gallery set up the scene, creating the perfect emotional background music and then positioning the camera for the perfect money shot… as they embrace and cry. Cue everyone watching the show in floods of tears. A master stroke and a ratings winner in BOTH cases.

Brilliant comment. This type of emotional influence laid out to the viewers is actually pretty dark. Could not have put it better myself.
  • Options
    JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally and utterly agree too. If anything killed it for me this year it was that. Sorry.
  • Options
    Tom_BasilTom_Basil Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    conchie wrote: »

Yes it worked, whatever way you want to put it, but Simon is still a human being and lost his mother so it is going to be emotional.
  • Options
    B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    We record the epidodes now and fast forward through ALL the sob stories, the background VT's and inane chatter. We watch and judge the singing and performance only. I advise you all to do the same. I dont care about anyones dead relative or that they are "doing it for me kids" blah blah blah !

Same here. I know people have tragedies in their lives and I'm not unsympathetic, but at the same time it's a singing competition and that's where the focus should be.
    I'd never wish someone to have to go through a loved one dying like that, but when I watch the show I want to just watch them sing and make an opinion of them based on those merits, not feel sorry for them based on their backstory.

Used to it by now obviously after 11 season, but still agree with OP that I could do without them. (Plus he didn't need one anyway, he was great.)

Agree with this. We don't need to hear any more background on each contestant than name and age. Anything else, besides whether they have the talent to continue through the show and possibly win, isn't really relevant. Josh obviously has that talent, and I hope he goes far in this competition.
  • Options
    johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got round to watching this, I have to say I was indeed moved........to throw something at the TV!! What a horible, cynical way of promoting this contestant.

It was quite possibly the cringiest and most obvious manipulation sob story, I think I have ever seen on that show...and I really don't buy all this 'it stirred emotions' with Simon Cowell. They milked this for way too long, and ultimately the editing goes to ..you know who. If that man had any dignity or intergrity, wouldn't he have just asked for that to be edited out? the reason he milked it, was purely for TV audience manipulation...or should I say, those sections of the TV audience more gullible than others.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got round to watching this, I have to say I was indeed moved........to throw something at the TV!! What a horible, cynical way of promoting this contestant.

It was quite possibly the cringiest and most obvious manipulation sob story, I think I have ever seen on that show...and I really don't buy all this 'it stirred emotions' with Simon Cowell. They milked this for way too long, and ultimately the editing goes to ..you know who. If that man had any dignity or intergrity, wouldn't he have just asked for that to be edited out? the reason he milked it, was purely for TV audience manipulation...or should I say, those sections of the TV audience more gullible than others.

You have to realise that quite a lot of voters do like to know who they are actually voting for otherwise they have no connection with them.
  • Options
    johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to realise that quite a lot of voters do like to know who they are actually voting for otherwise they have no connection with them.

I don't have to realise anything thank you. So, they have their name, they know where they come from and in most cases what they do for a living. You think they should exploit their dead friends as well?, so you think that's the only way the more gullible sections of audience are going to 'connect' with him?
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly !! Not even his mum was outside his boundary for audience manipulation. Imagine choosing to NOT draw the line there. The episode should have been a normal episode and at the end credits have a dedication to his late mum.