Options

Why Does FM Quality Always Have That 'Unique' Sound To It?

t0264t0264 Posts: 893
Forum Member
✭✭
I've noticed this a lot. Obviously CD is better quality and usually is quite noticable, however sometimes on my car stereo when I have listened to stations such as Peak FM or Galaxy I sometimes feel as though the sound quality is better than CD. Of course it isn't, but I just think the slight 'uniqueness' on the sound quality, whether it's a treble boost or something like that I don't know but it makes FM sound really good on some stations. Does anyone know what it is?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    The reason you hear the difference is that everything goes though the stations processor. A magical box which adds that extra bit of bass or treble that your talking about ;)

If your looking for something similar on your laptop try something called Breakaway.
  • Options
    Juan Carlos AraJuan Carlos Ara Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    You really notice that when you , for example, compare the satellite feed of The Big Top 40 Show , on Astra 4A, and then you listen to one of the radio stations which takes the same feed.

They insert identification jingles and etc, but also they process the sound in level and station´s sound.
  • Options
    Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    Most stations use excessive processing on FM, particularly Radio 1 and commercial stations. However, if you are lucky enough to hear a live outside broadcast with minimal processing (such as on Radio 3) then FM can rival CD, in fact, it could be argued that it sounds better. Perhaps this is because the human ear is an analogue receiver. The fact that it is cutt off above 15kHz doesn't seem to matter too much, as many people can't hear much past this frequency.

My system isn't high-end by any means but some of the most true-to-life audio it has produced has been via the Yamaha T-85 tuner.
  • Options
    Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything you need to know about radio station processing:

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/audio_processing.htm
  • Options
    BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick_G wrote: »
    Most stations use excessive processing on FM, particularly Radio 1 and commercial stations. However, if you are lucky enough to hear a live outside broadcast with minimal processing (such as on Radio 3) then FM can rival CD, in fact, it could be argued that it sounds better. Perhaps this is because the human ear is an analogue receiver. The fact that it is cutt off above 15kHz doesn't seem to matter too much, as many people can't hear much past this frequency.

My system isn't high-end by any means but some of the most true-to-life audio it has produced has been via the Yamaha T-85 tuner.

Yep very true
    its a fact Radio 1 compress their sound more than any other station, it goes through about 10 compression units before going out.
    Although in fairness I always thing R1 have the most polished sound so it obviously works for them.

Every station has their own processing units which their sound goes through, hence the unique sound.

As for whether FM is better than CD, well that's subjective really.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over-processing is endemic in the music and radio industries. Music producers tend to over-equalise their sounds, boosting bass and treble. This gives a kind of 'boom and tizz' effect.
    They also compress the sound to make it sound loud.
    Then those CD's are played on radio stations which add the same things again, so you get massively boosted bass and treble and double-dose compression. By this stage, the sound is untidy and unpleasant.
    Pirate stations are the worst for this - they tend to whack every knob up to at least 11 and the sound gets *really* ragged and tiring.
    Thing is, some people think this is great!:confused:
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All analogue broadcasting uses compression, heavily on am, and even on fm there's only around 30 dB "headroom". I don't know, but would imagine Optimod is used, originally developed for fm.

http://www.orban.com/
  • Options
    KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    t0264 wrote: »
    Obviously CD is better quality and usually is quite noticable, however sometimes on my car stereo when I have listened to stations such as Peak FM or Galaxy I sometimes feel as though the sound quality is better than CD.
    If you could go back to 1973 and hear the sound quality of Capital Radio on 95.8 here in London, you would have said that FM sounds better than CD.

Capital had the best audio quality I have ever heard on any FM radio station, it even sounded better than the excellent audio on German FM stations which took some beating.

Sadly these days everything is compressed and processed to buggery. Now you can tune through the FM band and all of the commercial stations sound the same - bloody awful.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burstfire wrote: »
    Yep very true
    its a fact Radio 1 compress their sound more than any other station, it goes through about 10 compression units before going out.

Ten compressors?

I could understand there being a limiter at each stage to ensure that no link in the chain is overdriven which would be quite possible with the type of music they play and some of the people playing it but I find it hard to imagine ten compressors in the chain or even ten points in the chain where they could compress. Can you describe where they are used
  • Options
    mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indigo146 wrote: »

If your looking for something similar on your laptop try something called Breakaway.

Breakaway is excellent but whats the best preset for a bit of echo and for that punch effect ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you could go back to 1973 and hear the sound quality of Capital Radio on 95.8 here in London, you would have said that FM sounds better than CD.

Capital had the best audio quality I have ever heard on any FM radio station, it even sounded better than the excellent audio on German FM stations which took some beating.

Sadly these days everything is compressed and processed to buggery. Now you can tune through the FM band and all of the commercial stations sound the same - bloody awful.

Interesting what you say about German radio. I find the audio on German radio more pleasant-sounding than UK stations. They have a lower modulation than other European stations and I'm sure that this is part of it. The audio is so clean, clear, detailed and yet natural, particularly on cultural or classical stations.

Radio 100,7 in Luxembourg also has fantastic audio quality. Makes me wonder if some of the Europeans are better at sound engineering than here in the UK!
  • Options
    BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Ten compressors?

I could understand there being a limiter at each stage to ensure that no link in the chain is overdriven which would be quite possible with the type of music they play and some of the people playing it but I find it hard to imagine ten compressors in the chain or even ten points in the chain where they could compress. Can you describe where they are used

Its what I read in an old Sound on Sound article, so I don't have more info!
  • Options
    CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have reecordings from the mid 80's when our local station had nothing more than a basic line limiter and an engineer monitoring the levels. Very open and dynamic sound, ok the quieter parts of the music may get 'lost' in a noisy factory environment or listening in a works van tearing down the motorway but for home listening it was an absolute joy. I agree with some compression it definitely has its benefits, but these days as another poster already said on here, the modern CDs already have a similar effect applied in the interests of the 'loudest wins' industry standard mentality, and the station then adds EVEN MORE. Ther result can be very tough going on certain tracks. I think BBC R2 have the right idea, and a nice well rounded sound on all types of music.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some stations do overdo it but when it's done properly I love the sound of compression. You can get some plugins to recreate the effect on your MP3s if you want.
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes think that we misremember things like how radio used to sound. Then I found a tape of some recordings from my local ILR station from 1983/4? and it sounded way way better than anything on the FM dial today - gentle compression (I suspect) and a nice wide stereo sound.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I sometimes think that we misremember things like how radio used to sound. Then I found a tape of some recordings from my local ILR station from 1983/4? and it sounded way way better than anything on the FM dial today - gentle compression (I suspect) and a nice wide stereo sound.

I wonder if some of it was the tuners in use back in the 70s & 80s. I know I keep saying this but the Yamaha T-85 has amazing audio quality with superb stereo separation (manual quotes 68dB at 1kHz). This model was in production from 1986-1988.

I think that because the FM tuner market was very competitive back then it encouraged manufacturers to produce the very best product that they could whilst remaining affordable. These days proper hi-fi FM tuners have become a very rare beast as the market is dominated by portables or in-car audio. Of course there are also the likes of iPods, iPhones, internet, DAB, and Freeview for getting radio content too.
  • Options
    PemblechookPemblechook Posts: 2,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to set up stereo encoders. We never transmitted anything like 68 dB separation. In fact I often measured a poor 20dB after maintenance had been neglected for a few months or even years!
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indigo146 wrote: »

Breakaway's fantastic, but rather RAM hungry, plus it's shareware, so only free for 30 days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Breakaway's fantastic, but rather RAM hungry, plus it's shareware, so only free for 30 days.

To be fair it's well worth forking out the pounds and getting Breakaway. It is THE best software-based audio processor out - period!

Oh, and if you find it RAM-hungry then hide the actual oscilloscopes - it's the visual aspects of the application that are greedy for your memory cycles - the processing works like a pussycat!
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair it's well worth forking out the pounds and getting Breakaway. It is THE best software-based audio processor out - period!

I used it on WCBS-FM's AAC+ stream. The TOTH jingle sounded magical! :o
  • Options
    CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've recently 'obtained' the full version of Breakaway - works well with lots of different music styles, and can be configured manually quite nicely. I played around with 'sound solution' a while back which has a great sounding 5 band processor but with too many processing artifacts and too much hiss for serious use. Breakaway is 'global' to the system and works with any audio program, appearing as a proper output device in Windows, not just a plugin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    CeeO wrote: »
    I've recently 'obtained' the full version of Breakaway - works well with lots of different music styles, and can be configured manually quite nicely. I played around with 'sound solution' a while back which has a great sounding 5 band processor but with too many processing artifacts and too much hiss for serious use. Breakaway is 'global' to the system and works with any audio program, appearing as a proper output device in Windows, not just a plugin.

Breakaway uses a Virtual Audio Pipeline and in doing so presents a virtual output to the OS for other applications to route audio into before processing occurs. Hence Breakaway gets full - and exclusive - access to the audio which is a primary reason why it is so good.

If you are serious about audio processing, look at Breakaway Broadcast. Some of the best peak control I've ever seen (and I've seen Omnia and Optimod's!!).
  • Options
    t0264t0264 Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thankyou everyone :)
    Breakaway gave me a blue screen first time I tried it. I might give it another go at some point. What does the 'echo' effect do? Does it literally make the sound have a slight echo on it?
  • Options
    Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair it's well worth forking out the pounds and getting Breakaway. It is THE best software-based audio processor out - period

Agreed.

We use it on our DAB stations.

It's fantastic.
  • Options
    DJPTDJPT Posts: 4,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick_G wrote: »
    Makes me wonder if some of the Europeans are better at sound engineering than here in the UK!

I completely agree!

I listened to a lot of FM stations while in Germany last year, and one of the best sounding is Hit-Radio Antenne Niedersachsen - their online stream is fed off-air.