Crap new version of "Your Song"

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
Why does this piece of garbage get airplay ??
I don't know who it's by, but it's one of the worst covers ever.
It wouldn't surprise me if it is by a fix factor muppet.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    It's by Ellie Goulding, and is being used in the current John Lewis ad on tv.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    What a pleasant opening post. I'm actually don't know where I stand with this song to be honest, it seems nice enough and is perfect for this time of year. It sounds a wee bit different, which is good.

As a comment on a song this should probably be in the music forum, but out of curiosity does anyone working in the radio industry know how it's testing?
  • east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each to their own but personally, I like the song and it must be likeable to have been number 1 on iTunes overtaking The Fix Factor.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie has become an artist the hard way with a lot of hard work and good songwriting, leading to the BBC sound of 2010 ward, rather than on something like the X factor (which Elton John has criticized, but she did help help Diana Vickers with a song).
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2010/11/27/elton-john-just-loves-to-115875-22743865/
    Elton John just loves to get down with the kids.
    He left his celeb pals, including James Corden, Andy Roddick and Ian Wright, whooping and cheering after a stunning performance of Your Song at his fab Absolute Radio gig in Islington.
    Then he shouted out praise for Ellie Goulding's new cover of the track: "Ellie did a brilliant job."
  • fdpfdp Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreadful. Even managed to get the chords and the harmonic structure wrong. Bloody philistines...:eek:
  • John.DitchfieldJohn.Ditchfield Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I dont think Elton minds as it was this song that paid his first tax bill
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a really lovely rendition.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    When I saw the video start on Box Breakers I thought "oh f***, not another crap cover", but on listening thought it was a brilliant, gentle rendition. Go Ellie!
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer it to Elton's original!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Ellie Goulding's stuff. 'Starry Eyed' was a really good modern pop song, but this version of Elton John's classic song is appallingly bad. Not because of what Ellie has done, but the dreadful monotonous piano and the poor attempt to drag it anywhere near Sir Elton's recording by the use of a few strings.

The Chords are all wrong and the production is uninspired. It could have been so, so much better.

Take a listen to Elton John's original 'your song' and compare the two.
  • chandleochandleo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I prefer the Ewan McGregor version from Moulin Rouge to both the new one and Elton's original, think it's a lot more powerful than the other two put together.

Ellie has a lovely voice though.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,619
    Forum Member
    I like it... It's an original take. It's also number 1, so I'd imagine that explains the airplay.

Presumably because you don't like something it shouldnt be aired?
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member
    I prefer it to Elton's original!

Each to their own, Ellie's version is very good and she has a superb voice but, for me, it doesn't top Elton's version.
  • trendartrendar Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    fdp wrote: »
    Dreadful. Even managed to get the chords and the harmonic structure wrong. Bloody philistines...:eek:
    It is really, really bad.
  • MickeyBricksMickeyBricks Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chandleo wrote: »
    Personally I prefer the Ewan McGregor version from Moulin Rouge to both the new one and Elton's original, think it's a lot more powerful than the other two put together.

Here, here. Ewan's version seriously kicks ass. It's an awesome arrangement. Country miles ahead of any of the others, Elton included.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    One of my all time favourite songs ruined by a singer who I was expecting better things from.

Liked "Starry Eyes" HATE "Your Song"
  • Dr BobbinsDr Bobbins Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    So... some people like it, and others don't. Great - that's what choice is all about, innit?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ewan and this new one makes me want to punch the radio, I resort to turning it over when it comes on. As said each to their own
  • Jim GellatlyJim Gellatly Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    skrjones wrote: »
    Ewan and this new one makes me want to punch the radio, I resort to turning it over when it comes on. As said each to their own

I'm the opposite... Love Ellie's version and turn over the radio to the station playing it. (lol) But heck, yeah, it's kept X Factor off the top of the Big Top 40.... though hate to say it... Not too bad a version of Heroes.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Goulding's version of Your Soung doesn't have the "wrong" chords. It's an arrangement of the original. Anyone with a basic understanding of musical structure would understand that.

John Lewis have done very well out of their two sing choices for ads this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goulding's version of Your Soung doesn't have the "wrong" chords. It's an arrangement of the original. Anyone with a basic understanding of musical structure would understand that.

John Lewis have done very well out of their two sing choices for ads this year.
    Sorry Mapperley, These Chords are WRONG. it's not a case of musical arrangement it's just playing the wrong chords. If you don't understand the importance of that, you'll never get it.

The John Lewis bit of your argument is irrelevant.
  • Marcus BradshawMarcus Bradshaw Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry Mapperley, These Chords are WRONG. it's not a case of musical arrangement it's just playing the wrong chords. If you don't understand the importance of that, you'll never get it.

The John Lewis bit of your argument is irrelevant.

No, I'm sorry.. this is just wierd.

I'm intrigued, how exactly can the chords be wrong?

After all, it's a cover version, so while you may not like the interpretation it can't be technically 'wrong'.. like any production, there are artistic choices such as changes in instrumentation, notation and structure.

It's not karaoke, where in some cases you can be scored on how close to the original you are. I'm sure that if they'd wanted to use exactly the same chords as the original, they would have done so.

Back on topic, the song is bloody awful.. I heard it the other day on Radio 1 and couldn't believe what I was hearing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I'm sorry.. this is just wierd.

I'm intrigued, how exactly can the chords be wrong?

After all, it's a cover version, so while you may not like the interpretation it can't be technically 'wrong'.. like any production, there are artistic choices such as changes in instrumentation, notation and structure.

It's not karaoke, where in some cases you can be scored on how close to the original you are. I'm sure that if they'd wanted to use exactly the same chords as the original, they would have done so.

Back on topic, the song is bloody awful.. I heard it the other day on Radio 1 and couldn't believe what I was hearing.

As originally composed by Sir Elton, The chords, (that is all the notes used in the song at any point in time), and the chord PROGRESSION, (the way one chord leads to another), are an integral and very important part of the song's structure. Much more so in this beautifully artistic and superbly crafted song than in more simple music. To arrange a classic song is one thing, but to remove the very soul of it is unforgiveable. (Yes, I am a musician) Trust me, many of the chords in the Ellie Goulding version are just WRONG. I will reiterate that I like Ellie's work, but this could have been a lot better.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Naturally I disagree! As Marcus has pointed out, this version has changed some of the chords and structure to give a new take on it.

No, the chords aren't those laid down by Elton. Yes, some might say the changes have ruined a good tune. Others, though, will accept that it's a simplified version of the song - the melody's pretty much the same.

My John Lewis comment wasn't irrelevant at all. I was observing that they've done a very good job in promoting two new versions of old songs this year. Fyfe Dangerfield's version of She's Always A Woman wasn't even on his current album before the ad came along. I'm sure Ellie Goulding will do just as well out of it.
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the original Elton John version - it's actually my favourite song of all-time.

But I must admit I do like the Ellie version too.