Anyone enjoy Everybody Loves Raymond?

julicovajulicova Posts: 223
Forum Member
I just got into this show over the past six months and now I watch it with my kids. We all love it. Normally I don't go in for the canned laughter US shows, never really liked Friends, but this makes me laugh in an uncomfortable way.

I can really relate to the dysfunction in the family. The mother - Marie Barone - is one of the best examples of the passive-aggressive females. A real controller and although she can seem kind and soft-hearted on the surface is a martinet and manipulator. Sometimes it is very cringy, but I find it amazing humour can be made out of some very dodgy parenting.

I think it must be therapy for me. I also like my kids to understand that just because someone is smiling and appears pleasant, they can be treacherous. It took me years to realise this.

Good emotional intelligence education yet a laugh as well.

Comments

• JamieMacdonaldJamieMacdonald Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been watching it for years. Love it.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister does, even though I haven't watched it, it doesn't grab me that much. But I do watch Kings of Queens which has some 'dual' episodes on the rare occasion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy this, its one of those programmes I put on when I need a giggle!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep - I've recently discovered it too. Haven't read as much into it though, so will have a look at it again. For some reason, I can't fully warm to Raymond's wife though. My favourite is the older brother who's desperate for his mother to love him as she does Ryamond.

I also like According to Jim.
  • julicovajulicova Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I also love Robert, Raymond's brother. He just wants to be loved by his mother and it is so obvious she much prefers Raymond. It's not as if Raymond is more kind/devoted to his mother.

I think Robert would give more love to his mum - she is not interested. In some ways this is heart breaking. It reminds me of my father and his brother.

My Granny much preferred my uncle. No reason as to why. Just plain weird. If someone told me about this programme I think I would have found it too hard to watch, but in fact, I laugh. As I said, its therapy.
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Raymonds wife is everything I want in a woman.

His mother is everything I gringe / run from in life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this show!!!

Watch it every morning and it cheers me right up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch it years ago in the mornings loved it then and still do. Watch it in the afternoons sometimes on Comedy Central. Really like Robert and Deboroh.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching it for years and love it too. Some brilliant one liners in it. Love Robert, Ray and Deborah - his parents are terrible but can be very funny. Love the Robert and Amy eps too.
    Comedy Central is my main channel these days with so little on!
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must have watched every episode 4 times, me and young son love having it on while getting ready for school. The one liners in it are great, and I must admit I have never watched the news in the morning when this is on, why?

My fav was when neither of them would move the suitcase off the stairs. I have done that, along with many of other things they do.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the program has had it's day.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it. Just watched the episode where Ray confronts Debbie about her PMT, she denies it even though she clearly does have it. Always a giggle, and can totally relate to it.

Frank and Marie are comedy gold!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister and I love it. We've watched it before work/uni in the mornings for a long time.

So much more than it initially appears.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the opposite, Debs is great, she's a bloody Saint, while Raymond is an odious, greasy, cowardly, unfeeling, lilly livered, spineless Mummy's boy.
  • NorfolkPoppyNorfolkPoppy Posts: 5,688
    Forum Member
    I love it. Just watched the episode where Ray confronts Debbie about her PMT, she denies it even though she clearly does have it. Always a giggle, and can totally relate to it.

Frank and Marie are comedy gold!

I love it when Marie slaps Ray.

I've been watching for years too but even now there's an episode that I love.....I recorded today's one where Robert feels unloved and Deb shouts at him...so funny!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    My sister does, even though I haven't watched it, it doesn't grab me that much. But I do watch Kings of Queens which has some 'dual' episodes on the rare occasion.

I'm not much of a fan of Raymond, most of the characters are intensley annoying. On the other hand I love the King of Queens, I am the only person I know who watches it. The relationship between Doug, Carrie and Arthur is great
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not much of a fan of Raymond, most of the characters are intensley annoying. On the other hand I love the King of Queens, I am the only person I know who watches it. The relationship between Doug, Carrie and Arthur is great

I'm the same, and my dislike of ELR even stops me watching the episodes of KoQ that Ray Barone guests stars in.
  • Juls_HJuls_H Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love ELR and According to Jim. I got into both shows when I was on holiday in the States a few years ago.

I've seen all of the ELR series several times. I love Marie and her interfering with her sons lives.

One episode that always sticks in my mind is the one where Marie creates a sculpture, an abstract as she called it. Raymond, however, tells everyone what he sees (a bit 'ladylike'). The rest of the episode the sculpture is covered up and everyone that sees it (including a couple of nuns) see what Ray see. Frank is totally oblivious and keeps mumbling that it reminds him of something and keeps staring at it. Classic comedy and made me laugh out loud.

I also love According to Jim, I especially like the scenes at the beginning that he usually does with the kids. I have only seen the series that have been shown over here on living and latterly on C4. I was in the US in September and saw some new episodes that have never been shown over here. I don't think C4 have as many series as Living showed and they didn't show them all.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah its not bad.