What is the creepiest thing to have ever happened to you? (Part 2)

Comments

• kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe it's taken me so long to get round to reading this thread! Some of your experiences really captivated me.

From a young age, Ive seen figures and shapes. Also smells / odours. There was a woman in my childhood home who would walk up and down the hall and I'd occasionally see her walking past my mums bedroom door. This was a 80s council house with no real history attached to it or the land it was on. She never gave me any reason to fear her, but I did feel very uncomfortable.

In my early 20s I experienced some horrid events whilst house sitting for a family member. This was a very modern house, but the front door handle used to jiggle up and down, the letter box would chap, etc. It was an awful, oppressive atmosphere and I was actually terrified of sleeping there alone. I was in bed one evening and I felt pressure on my throat. When I grasped what was happening, there was a bald man in a brown robe choking me. I also used to see a teenage girl falling over the bannister repeatedly as well. The day after the choking event, Mr Kivi and I were in the living room and I heard a clatter. The kitchen knife that I'd set back into the holder was lying in the middle of the kitchen floor pointing towards the door and the cat I was looking after was going absolutely mental at something. I was so relieved to get out of that house. Unfortunately, my bald man has followed me and he appears to me every so often. He is very malevolent and scares the shit out of me.

There was also a horrid atmosphere in a cottage that we rented when we first moved here. It's a traditional button ben that's a few hundred years old that had a kitchen and living room extension added on later. The more modern part was okay, but the older area was horrid. It honestly felt like there were bodies in the wall. I wouldn't even go to the loo at night I was so scared, and going along the hallway, I'd always have a light on and never expose my back. There was some bad juujuu in that cottage. It felt a very tragic place.

The ironic thing is, I now live on the site of an ancient Kirkyard and bodies were being excavated from the land until the 70s (those pesky ones that escaped being exhumed back in the 1600s/1700s) and I don't get any bad vibes from the place at all!

I know my experiences aren't as in depth or intriguing as many of the ones I've read here, but it's good to share :)
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »

I was in bed one evening and I felt pressure on my throat. When I grasped what was happening, there was a bald man in a brown robe choking me. I also used to see a teenage girl falling over the bannister repeatedly as well. The day after the choking event, Mr Kivi and I were in the living room and I heard a clatter. The kitchen knife that I'd set back into the holder was lying in the middle of the kitchen floor pointing towards the door and the cat I was looking after was going absolutely mental at something. I was so relieved to get out of that house. Unfortunately, my bald man has followed me and he appears to me every so often. He is very malevolent and scares the shit out of me.

The brown robe sounds like a monk, possibly?
  • red_boots2red_boots2 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Love this thread and have just caught up on a lot of reading after 'giving it a while' for some new stories... I had an experience that freaked me out a couple of weeks ago despite being fairly normal looking back on it;

I decided to get up early to see the 'red moon', however it was obscured by the street lights so I drove a couple of minutes up the road to a spot by the local golf course which is pitch black and doesn't have any sort of lighting whatsoever. I got out of the car and stared up in awe of both the night sky and how blissfully quiet it was...

I then heard what sounded like someone walking/running towards me as I could hear footsteps on the road. I couldn't work out which direction it was coming from as there are banks either side of the road and the sound was bouncing off of them. The sounds got louder and louder, closer and closer until a single jogger appeared about 2 metres in front of me, there was no look of acknowledgement from him and he just carried on running past.

It's easy enough to explain, however it still bothers me that he was not dressed in any luminous clothing, seemed completely unaware I was even there and was not running into what would be on coming traffic so had someone had been driving they may well have run him over as they wouldn't have seen him. Plus he was in the middle of the road!

Also I know everyone works a lot of different hours now, but 3.45am seems an odd time to be out for a jog!
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twenty years ago I used to bother with a bloke who lived in the same town as me. We (me, him and 1 or 2 others) often used to go out in the town and as he lived in the town centre, we often crashed at his place, which was an old largish building that had been converted to flats.

He lived on the top floor of the three storey building and you had to go up a central stair-well that had those timed spring action push-button light switches on each landing (so that you couldn't leave the lights on permanently).

Anyway, a girl (IIRC her name was Justine) about the same age as me lived next door to my friend and she often popped in with her fella when we were staying over. About 5 am one Sunday morning, we had all been out and were still up chatting etc and Justine decided to take some rubbish down to the communal bin just inside the main door.

We carried on chatting and about two minutes after she left we heard an almighty scream. We rushed out of my mate's flat and Justine was at the bottom of the stairwell looking really white and frightened.

When we urged her to tell us what happened, she said that she had pressed one of those springy light switches at the very bottom of the stairwell and as she had got to the final flight that led to her / my mate's flat, the light went out. She said that as soon as the light went out, she saw a woman standing at the top of the stairs looking down at her smiling and she was dressed in one of those old fashioned Welsh outfits (like this - http://www.betws-y-coed.net/Welsh%20Costume/welshcostume.htm) and then she just faded away. This was the point at which she screamed and believe me it was the loudest scream you could hear at that time of the morning after a few drinks!

Justine hadn't been out with us and wasn't much of a drinker and just from how white and shaken up she was we had no reason to disbelieve her. Still creeps me out to this day!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twenty years ago I used to bother with a bloke who lived in the same town as me. We (me, him and 1 or 2 others) often used to go out in the town and as he lived in the town centre, we often crashed at his place, which was an old largish building that had been converted to flats.

He lived on the top floor of the three storey building and you had to go up a central stair-well that had those timed spring action push-button light switches on each landing (so that you couldn't leave the lights on permanently).

Anyway, a girl (IIRC her name was Justine) about the same age as me lived next door to my friend and she often popped in with her fella when we were staying over. About 5 am one Sunday morning, we had all been out and were still up chatting etc and Justine decided to take some rubbish down to the communal bin just inside the main door.

We carried on chatting and about two minutes after she left we heard an almighty scream. We rushed out of my mate's flat and Justine was at the bottom of the stairwell looking really white and frightened.

When we urged her to tell us what happened, she said that she had pressed one of those springy light switches at the very bottom of the stairwell and as she had got to the final flight that led to her / my mate's flat, the light went out. She said that as soon as the light went out, she saw a woman standing at the top of the stairs looking down at her smiling and she was dressed in one of those old fashioned Welsh outfits (like this - http://www.betws-y-coed.net/Welsh%20Costume/welshcostume.htm) and then she just faded away. This was the point at which she screamed and believe me it was the loudest scream you could hear at that time of the morning after a few drinks!

Justine hadn't been out with us and wasn't much of a drinker and just from how white and shaken up she was we had no reason to disbelieve her. Still creeps me out to this day!

Creepy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    kiviraat wrote: »
    I was in bed one evening and I felt pressure on my throat. When I grasped what was happening, there was a bald man in a brown robe choking me.
    That sounds like sleep paralysis. It's very scary but essentially all in the mind. :)
    Mr Kivi and I were in the living room and I heard a clatter. The kitchen knife that I'd set back into the holder was lying in the middle of the kitchen floor pointing towards the door and the cat I was looking after was going absolutely mental at something.
    Are you sure the cat hadn't just knocked it down? They can do unbelievable things sometimes.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    Years ago, while my kids were still young, I was in the kitchen hoovering up the usual rice krispies off the floor. To the right of me, and out the corner of my eye, is the kitchen sink. I was hoovering away and seen my husband lean his back to the kitchen sink and I was talking about how funny it is that there's more rice krispies on the floor than the kids had eaten and then asked why he was home early, at that point when asking I looked up and there was nobody there. A young man with jeans and tshirt and blond hair which out the corner of my eye looked like my husband but wasn't.
    There was also one time while cleaning in the bathroom I had the door open to listen for my kids who were downstairs. I thought one of them were sneaking up on me so I turned quick to make them know I heard them when the same man was there and gone in that second. I think I scared him more than he scared me.
    There was also "the nanny" who would be in my daughter's room who would hide behind the curtain and tickle her feet and she sleep in the cupboard at night (the nanny not my daughter). The cupboard has no door and is full of toys at the time. It's only now that she's in her twenties and loves horror movies that it makes her feel uneasy and says she wouldn't sleep in that room if you paid her.
    We will be moving house soon (maybe after Christmas) but I've found myself talking away in the house saying how I'll miss him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »
    Years ago, while my kids were still young, I was in the kitchen hoovering up the usual rice krispies off the floor. To the right of me, and out the corner of my eye, is the kitchen sink. I was hoovering away and seen my husband lean his back to the kitchen sink and I was talking about how funny it is that there's more rice krispies on the floor than the kids had eaten and then asked why he was home early, at that point when asking I looked up and there was nobody there. A young man with jeans and tshirt and blond hair which out the corner of my eye looked like my husband but wasn't.
    There was also one time while cleaning in the bathroom I had the door open to listen for my kids who were downstairs. I thought one of them were sneaking up on me so I turned quick to make them know I heard them when the same man was there and gone in that second. I think I scared him more than he scared me.
    There was also "the nanny" who would be in my daughter's room who would hide behind the curtain and tickle her feet and she sleep in the cupboard at night (the nanny not my daughter). The cupboard has no door and is full of toys at the time. It's only now that she's in her twenties and loves horror movies that it makes her feel uneasy and says she wouldn't sleep in that room if you paid her.
    We will be moving house soon (maybe after Christmas) but I've found myself talking away in the house saying how I'll miss him.

The blond man was a ghostly figure, not a live intruder?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I come and read this thread at this time every year! I have posted a few of my experiences in part one, and now have one for part 2.

This happened 3 days ago (Friday) while I was at work. My phone rang and I had this horrible sinking feeling, like a black cloud swept over me. I honestly didn't want to pick up the phone. My phone rings all day everyday so this wasn't something unusual, but for some reason I could barely bring myself to answer.

When I answered a lady asked to speak to one of my colleagues, assuming it was a customer I offered my assistance first but she then said "I'm her Mother and I really need to speak to her". I went and found my colleague in the office, gave her the call.

Later I found out her Mum was ringing to tell her her dad had been in a terrible accident and was on life support in hospital :(
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of months ago, I was in the tube at around 2PM. A passenger next to me slowly turned his head and stared at me.

I looked at him with a frown, sort of hoping it'd stop his staring, but he just stared unblinkingly. I asked if he was all right. He didn't respond. I looked away and pretended he wasn't staring. After maybe a minute he was still staring, which unnerved me enough to move to another seat.

About two minutes later, I stole a glance at him. He was still staring. The way he stared was so unnerving. Not a lazy stare. It was an intense unblinking stare. As if he was in a trance. I admit I did think of joking about being trapped in the film Village of the Damned as his stare reminded of those kids' stare, but decided not to as it might set him off.

Unsurprisingly I got off at the next stop. I didn't want to be in the same carriage with him. He was probably on drugs or such, but goodness me, it was so creepy.
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I come and read this thread at this time every year! I have posted a few of my experiences in part one, and now have one for part 2.

This happened 3 days ago (Friday) while I was at work. My phone rang and I had this horrible sinking feeling, like a black cloud swept over me. I honestly didn't want to pick up the phone. My phone rings all day everyday so this wasn't something unusual, but for some reason I could barely bring myself to answer.

When I answered a lady asked to speak to one of my colleagues, assuming it was a customer I offered my assistance first but she then said "I'm her Mother and I really need to speak to her". I went and found my colleague in the office, gave her the call.

Later I found out her Mum was ringing to tell her her dad had been in a terrible accident and was on life support in hospital :(

That's awful, I know what you mean by the black cloud feeling it's the same feeling I get if my phone rings late at night, I immediately assume something terrible has happened.
    Takae wrote: »
    A couple of months ago, I was in the tube at around 2PM. A passenger next to me slowly turned his head and stared at me.

I looked at him with a frown, sort of hoping it'd stop his staring, but he just stared unblinkingly. I asked if he was all right. He didn't respond. I looked away and pretended he wasn't staring. After maybe a minute he was still staring, which unnerved me enough to move to another seat.

About two minutes later, I stole a glance at him. He was still staring. The way he stared was so unnerving. Not a lazy stare. It was an intense unblinking stare. As if he was in a trance. I admit I did think of joking about being trapped in the film Village of the Damned as his stare reminded of those kids' stare, but decided not to as it might set him off.

Unsurprisingly I got off at the next stop. I didn't want to be in the same carriage with him. He was probably on drugs or such, but goodness me, it was so creepy.

You've reminded me of a chap that lives down my street, he's about middle aged, balding and dresses in smart casual attire. Whenever I see him he'd be roughly 100 yards up the road standing still on the pavement and the second he would see me (or anyone else I'm guessing) he would slowly start walking away, constantly looking behind himself to look down the street at me. It is very unsettling the way he stares at me whenever he turns around, he normally does it about 10-15 times before turning off at another corner. I'm guessing he has some kind of psychological issue but nevertheless it still makes me want to cross the street and avoid eye contact whenever I see him.
  • Enlighten_mentEnlighten_ment Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    When I visited a mental health hospital, one of the patients there tried kissing me. Still haven't been able to shake that episode :o
  • 446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few years ago, someone close died in a remote country location. Last year I drove up there to admire the scenery, determined that I wasn't going to let the bad memory spoil the location for me.
    Just as I pulled up closest to where it happened, my mp3 player froze and stopped playing. It had only done that once before in the 3 years or so that I've been using it in the car, and it hasn't done it since.
    This was in broad daylight, and it takes more than that to creep me out, but it's still an incredible coincidence.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SLIP happens to me once in a while, this is essentially walking under a lamppost and having it turn off as soon as you pass beneath it (it comes back on after you leave its proximity)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_light_interference_phenomenon

Anyway once walking home at 1am on a secluded street it happened under 4 consecutive lampposts. I do not believe the phenomenon is paranormal, but The effect is very creepy.
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds like sleep paralysis. It's very scary but essentially all in the mind. :)

Are you sure the cat hadn't just knocked it down? They can do unbelievable things sometimes.

I instantly thought sleep paralysis as well. Once it happened to me and was so vivid and real, I felt so helpless... Once I was able to, I screamed so loud and was slightly hysterical.
  • simysimy Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you all don't mind if I post a little story to keep you entertained. I put in another thread the other day, but it might suit here better.
    Anyway it's about the time I ventured alone, late at night, into an abandoned old folks home, near where I used to live. Well, it was actually me and wee Jimmy Yellow, but he wouldn't go in because he had heard stories about it being used by Satanists to offer live sacrifices. He said they would round up the local stray dogs, and cut them open on a makeshift alter, and smear themselves in the blood, and run about chanting. I wasn't buying it. See wee Jimmy was a bit light in the head department, he once claimed they were handing out fiver's in the school assembly one morning. Of course, this happened to be a day that me and the other lads had mitched assembly to go and look for nudie books down the cycle path.
    Anyway, I went on in, pitch black it was, couldn't see a thing to start with. Eventually my eyes got used to the dark, and I could start to make out the shapes and shadows of discarded furniture. So I'm fumbling along this passageway till I come to a flight of stairs.
    The stairs go down.
    Keep in mind I'm on the ground floor here, This can only mean one thing, the basement.
    As I slowly make my way down, one step at a time, I hear a noise. I stop. A faint shuffling sound rises up from the bottom of the stairs. As I look down I see the dancing shadows cast from a flickering light. Throwing caution to the wind, I proceed further down into the gloom. As I reached the last step, I am greeted by a most shocking and horrid sight, a grizzled old man holding a lighted candle. He was clearly lost to the addictions of the Devils buttermilk, and as I tentatively approached this Godforsaken wretch, he fixed me with baleful eyes that appeared to have witnessed more evil than any man should in a lifetime, and with a nasally rasp, he spoke, "Care to see a musical oddity, Sir?" It was then that I realised this poor specimen was beyond help. I shoved him backwards, causing him to stumble and crack his noggin on the bare stone wall behind. At this point there was a blinding flash of light to my left, and there in the basement, a dancing skeleton appeared before me. It appeared to move in a strange thrusting manner. Bent almost double, it waved its boney arse awkwardly from side to side, from front to back. It's pointed tongue darting this way and that.
    Well, that was it for me, I turned and ran. I ran like the wind, back up those stairs, as fast as my strangely overdeveloped teenage legs due to being an awesome BMX'er, could take me. Back along that passageway, out through the door I'd prised open earlier, past the startled wee Jimmy Yellow, who proceeded to pish himself (hence the name), and into the night with the awful cackling of the skeleton ringing in my ears, "I came in like a wrecking ball..."
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thankfully I've not had a SP incident for some time, as they terrified me.
    Once, my OH went to work and left me in bed. I woke up and saw daylight through the blinds, so decided to get up, when I became aware of pressure on the foot of the bed, like someone had sat on it. Next thing, I was pulled out of bed, up against the wall, and pinned in the corner of the ceiling.
    I remember looking down at the crumpled bedding and being aware of a presence in the doorway, looking up at me.
    Then suddenly, I was back in bed, fully aware and bricking it.
    SP is much worse than having a nightmare for me, as I'm convinced I'm awake and recall everything like a real life event.
  • caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    about 2 months ago I started seeing this lad, he worked late shifts and lived about 20 minute walk away from me so we'd meet up around midnight and just chat away and stuff till around 3am-4am some nights, one night we went onto an abandoned school field and it was pitch black and we was laying their looking at the stars it was about 2am and I could hear russling in the long grass but I didn't think anything of it, about 10 minutes later that lad I was laying with jumped up so fast and screamed so loud! their was a man stood behind us all in black! the man apologised and said he was just walking his dog! well he had no dog with him at all! and then we walked off into the darkness where I no their is no way out! safe to say we never went back in their!
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear people say they lose the fear of sleep paralysis, but I can not believe that for one second. It's the most terrifying thing in the world, I'd rather be seriously held at gunpoint, fearing for my life every day than experience Sleep Paralysis.
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

Your story reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG-JKfhXQ0A :o
  • Cat SimonCat Simon Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tether wrote: »
    One of the most surreal experiences that I can remember, is when my partner and I returned from a 4 day trip in Paris back to London in the evening. It was just so weird like it was a different London, everything just appeared 'different' but was familiar. We both still talk about it now and felt the exact same way.

I had a similar experience in the summer. I came back from a 3-week holiday in South East Asia on a Monday lunchtime, and everything for the next week was so quiet. Not in a particularly creepy way, but a refreshingly relaxed surreal way.

Also, while in Sydney, around April 2000, I had a whole Sunday where everything was just...fine.
    I remember walking around Wentworth Park, (I was staying at hostel on Glebe Point Road, and the whole atmosphere was just so mellow.
    It had such a profound affect on me, that I would have to class it as one of the most memorable and influential days of my life.
  • ProvenceJaneProvenceJane Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    caz06 wrote: »
    about 2 months ago I started seeing this lad, he worked late shifts and lived about 20 minute walk away from me so we'd meet up around midnight and just chat away and stuff till around 3am-4am some nights, one night we went onto an abandoned school field and it was pitch black and we was laying their looking at the stars it was about 2am and I could hear russling in the long grass but I didn't think anything of it, about 10 minutes later that lad I was laying with jumped up so fast and screamed so loud! their was a man stood behind us all in black! the man apologised and said he was just walking his dog! well he had no dog with him at all! and then we walked off into the darkness where I no their is no way out! safe to say we never went back in their!

That is creepy :o It reminds me of the time years ago when my parents were due back from their holiday and I waited in a park at 9pm for their coach to return. Bad mistake. There were a few people coming and going, waiting for their coach or transport or even revellers passing through on their way to a night out but there was one lone man dressed in black - not in a supernatural way - who was hovering around me, silently. Whenever someone else appeared he would drift away, only to return to my vicinity when activity had died down. As it turned out, my parents transport would be over an hour late, so I paced around and became so unnerved and cautious that I kept moving as far away from the man as possible, pretending to pace. He kept finding me. Always silent, always hovering. He did nothing illegal. He never spoke to me or touched me or threatened me. But he was creepy and it makes me wonder how many of these opportunistic creeps there are around (if he was one)
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear people say they lose the fear of sleep paralysis, but I can not believe that for one second. It's the most terrifying thing in the world, I'd rather be seriously held at gunpoint, fearing for my life every day than experience Sleep Paralysis.

Well I lost my fear of it after my first episode.

I then read the science behind it and now find the experience fascinating.

The last time it happened a starved, naked white corpse skittered across the ceiling and disappeared into the wardrobe.

Did it bother me?

Not at all - I found it very interesting and an example of just what remarkable imagery the human brain is capable of generating. :)