Options

EE: Dean and Tosh

_elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
Forum Member
✭✭
Something tells me there's going to be more about this storyline to come out. I don't believe it's as straight forward as Dean sleeping with Tosh. On the night that it happened, Tosh told him very adamantly that she wasn't sleeping with him, to which Dean replied "there are ways." And then we didn't see anything more from them. If they had slept together I'm sure we would have at least seen the run up to it.

My guess is that Dean encouraged Tosh to get off her face on alcohol or drugs and told her that he'd have sex with her when she was unconscious, so she didn't need to experience it. What other ways could there be, apart from maybe the turkey baster route which would just be weird (not to mention she surely wouldn't have told Tina they'd slept together if that's what they'd done?) :confused:

If Dean did something like that to Tosh while she was unconscious, even if she did 'consent' to it, I could see her being highly conflicted, especially if she does get pregnant from it. With the storyline about Dean raping Linda, it may make Tosh question whether she was a victim of him as well. He preyed on her when she was emotionally vulnerable and drunk and to be honest, if he did something like sleep with her when she was unconscious then that's pretty screwed up and twisted.

Anyway, it could be another interesting element to the rape storyline, or it could be that they did just sleep together and I'm rambling on about nothing - but I can't help feeling there's going to be a twist of some sort here.

Comments

• Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting theory elly. I would like to see that.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There must be a reason why we didn't know it had happened (apart from Dean saying what he did when he was drunk about there being 'other ways') and therefore there must be more to it.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight, I was wondering if I had missed a previous scene of them together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Very interesting theory elly. I would like to see that.

Thanks. I think it would work really well within this storyline; it would bring up some very interesting discussion about the line of consent and whether or not Tosh would have the right to identify herself as a victim (IMO she definitely is a victim even if she may have initially agreed to it; you lose the ability to give consent once you've reached a point of unconsciousness, and consent is an ongoing decision.)

Also, so many people are saying how much more empathetic Dean has been as a character recently and I agree, he has been. But I don't believe that his attack on Linda will be a snap decision where he suddenly turns into a rapist. He has major issues with women generally, and if he did do something to Tosh then it would act as an unnerving precursor to his attack on Linda, and it would make sense as to why it wasn't really touched upon in the episode. I still think we've got some major things to find out about Dean, such as what he went through in prison, his drug habit (I'm still pretty much positive he's on drugs) and now possibly this Tosh thing. They seem to be keeping a lot back about him.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was a turkey baster. Unless she was desperate for a kid and drunk and thought what the hell. If she even thought she was raped she'd get justice straight away
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Thanks. I think it would work really well within this storyline; it would bring up some very interesting discussion about the line of consent and whether or not Tosh would have the right to identify herself as a victim (IMO she definitely is a victim even if she may have initially agreed to it; you lose the ability to give consent once you've reached a point of unconsciousness, and consent is an ongoing decision.)

Also, so many people are saying how much more empathetic Dean has been as a character recently and I agree, he has been. But I don't believe that his attack on Linda will be a snap decision where he suddenly turns into a rapist. He has major issues with women generally, and if he did do something to Tosh then it would act as an unnerving precursor to his attack on Linda, and it would make sense as to why it wasn't really touched upon in the episode. I still think we've got some major things to find out about Dean, such as what he went through in prison, his drug habit (I'm still pretty much positive he's on drugs) and now possibly this Tosh thing. They seem to be keeping a lot back about him.

Tosh called it her 'experiment" with Dean,meaning that whatever went on she was consenting. She prob regrets cheating on Tina but not thr act itself as
    SHe's desperate to get pregnant.
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Tosh called it her 'experiment" with Dean,meaning that whatever went on she was consenting. She prob regrets cheating on Tina but not thr act itself as

And so have 99% of the Square's female population been. EastEnders' message: if you're a woman and you don't have a baby you're nothing!
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way Tosh has reacted makes me think this isn't a rape or even possibly a consent issue as she doesn't seem the type of girl who'd react this way unless it was 100% consensual, if there was any grey area I feel she's the type to call someone out.

Its weird though and soaps often do this with lesbian characters that they never do with gay men. Zoe Tate being the most ridiculous example just so she could get knocked up.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's an interesting theory, but I mean this in the nicest possible way, I really don't think anyone cares about Tosh or Tina... I don't really care much for Dean, but this upcoming storyline between him and Linda will be interesting!

I think in a soap, there's always a few characters that let it down, and Tosh just represents this type of character perfectly, sorry :D

But yeah, it could be possible, I'm just saying, the sooner some of these characters go, the better!
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Something tells me there's going to be more about this storyline to come out. I don't believe it's as straight forward as Dean sleeping with Tosh. On the night that it happened, Tosh told him very adamantly that she wasn't sleeping with him, to which Dean replied "there are ways." And then we didn't see anything more from them. If they had slept together I'm sure we would have at least seen the run up to it.

My guess is that Dean encouraged Tosh to get off her face on alcohol or drugs and told her that he'd have sex with her when she was unconscious, so she didn't need to experience it. What other ways could there be, apart from maybe the turkey baster route which would just be weird (not to mention she surely wouldn't have told Tina they'd slept together if that's what they'd done?) :confused:

If Dean did something like that to Tosh while she was unconscious, even if she did 'consent' to it, I could see her being highly conflicted, especially if she does get pregnant from it. With the storyline about Dean raping Linda, it may make Tosh question whether she was a victim of him as well. He preyed on her when she was emotionally vulnerable and drunk and to be honest, if he did something like sleep with her when she was unconscious then that's pretty screwed up and twisted.

Anyway, it could be another interesting element to the rape storyline, or it could be that they did just sleep together and I'm rambling on about nothing - but I can't help feeling there's going to be a twist of some sort here.

Interesting idea, it'd definitely provide some intriguing context for the rape.
  • Options
    FookschplatFookschplat Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its funny cause in Emmerdale you have Ali and Ruby as the lesbians desperate for a kid, and Ali had a one night stand with her ex Dan, which will almost certainly result in a baby, and then a few weeks later we have the same possible scenario with two women desperate for a baby and one of them sleeps with a guy... wonder where this is going ??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »

If my theory turns out to be somewhat accurate, then yes I think Tosh at the moment would identify herself as having consented. She probably believes that Dean did it, in his own way, to help her and Tina out. However, I could see her view changing when/if it comes out that he attacked Linda; it will be difficult for her not to see him as a predator then, who offered simply because he wanted her submissive and helpless while he had sex with her. Like I said, it would bring up some very interesting discussions about consent and further reinforce Dean's rather twisted attitude towards women.

And she is desperate to get pregnant, of course, but will she be quite so desperate when she finds out she's pregnant with a rapist's child?
    lou_123 wrote: »
    That's an interesting theory, but I mean this in the nicest possible way, I really don't think anyone cares about Tosh or Tina... I don't really care much for Dean, but this upcoming storyline between him and Linda will be interesting!

I think in a soap, there's always a few characters that let it down, and Tosh just represents this type of character perfectly, sorry :D

But yeah, it could be possible, I'm just saying, the sooner some of these characters go, the better!

I'm not really sure what this has to do with the thread. I know you don't like Tosh but I shared my thoughts not because I'm trying to think up a scenario to make her seem more sympathetic or whatever but because I think there is a genuine chance of this happening, and I think it will be an interesting element to the rape storyline if it turns out to be true. I'm not Tosh's biggest fan either but I think this would make a great addition to the rape storyline, and reinforce the fact that Dean didn't suddenly turn into a predator overnight because he was overcome with lust for Linda or whatever sensationalist reason they usually give for rape.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If my theory turns out to be somewhat accurate, then yes I think Tosh at the moment would identify herself as having consented. She probably believes that Dean did it, in his own way, to help her and Tina out. However, I could see her view changing when/if it comes out that he attacked Linda; it will be difficult for her not to see him as a predator then, who offered simply because he wanted her submissive and helpless while he had sex with her. Like I said, it would bring up some very interesting discussions about consent and further reinforce Dean's rather twisted attitude towards women.

And she is desperate to get pregnant, of course, but will she be quite so desperate when she finds out she's pregnant with a rapist's child?

I'm not really sure what this has to do with the thread. I know you don't like Tosh but I shared my thoughts not because I'm trying to think up a scenario to make her seem more sympathetic or whatever but because I think there is a genuine chance of this happening, and I think it will be an interesting element to the rape storyline if it turns out to be true. I'm not Tosh's biggest fan either but I think this would make a great addition to the rape storyline, and reinforce the fact that Dean didn't suddenly turn into a predator overnight because he was overcome with lust for Linda or whatever sensationalist reason they usually give for rape.

Yeah I know, I was just using it to express my dislike for the character:blush:
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing she'll end up the duff
  • Options
    Chloe_BeadsChloe_Beads Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    She will end up pregnant no question just around the time it comes out the shirly is micks mother meaning the baby Tina was going to bring up will actually be her niece/nephew ... And tosh is part of the furniture then as she is actually carrying a carter baby and I'm still praying Linda isn't pregnant following the rape making her pregnant with her and micks niece/nephew!!!
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she'll end up pregnant too, and i also thought id missed that scene, when she revealed all to Tina.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She will end up pregnant no question just around the time it comes out the shirly is micks mother meaning the baby Tina was going to bring up will actually be her niece/nephew ... And tosh is part of the furniture then as she is actually carrying a carter baby and I'm still praying Linda isn't pregnant following the rape making her pregnant with her and micks niece/nephew!!!

Tina will actually be the great-auntie of Tosh's baby as she is the sister of the babies grandmother.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    The way Tosh has reacted makes me think this isn't a rape or even possibly a consent issue as she doesn't seem the type of girl who'd react this way unless it was 100% consensual, if there was any grey area I feel she's the type to call someone out.

Its weird though and soaps often do this with lesbian characters that they never do with gay men. Zoe Tate being the most ridiculous example just so she could get knocked up.

They're doing it in Neighbours at the moment Lucy Robinson wants Poor Gay Chris to be the father of her child.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is certainly different having a sympathetic rapist. We've never had that before. Dean has grown on me so I think it's a shame.
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    It is certainly different having a sympathetic rapist. We've never had that before. Dean has grown on me so I think it's a shame.

I agree, although I'm sure there will be brilliant performances I still think this plot is a mistake. I wanted Dean to have an unhealthy obsession without having another rape storyline and to deal with his issues.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good one Elly:)
  • Options
    Mokey76Mokey76 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    It does annoy me how soap writers have no idea of the concept of fertility.
    The chances of Tosh getting pregnant from a one off 'insemination' from Deano just after she's 'lost' a baby is highly unlikely.
  • Options
    Chloe_BeadsChloe_Beads Posts: 197
    Forum Member

O for goodness sake .... I was joking about Linda but ds seems to have burst my bubble!!!
  • Options
    mrsfojmrsfoj Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Tosh got her period/lost her baby (still unsure which) & had attempted to get pregnant the night after is a stupid storyline. She'll no doubt fall pregnant & it just makes Tosh even more unlikable.
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrsfoj wrote: »
    Tosh got her period/lost her baby (still unsure which) & had attempted to get pregnant the night after is a stupid storyline. She'll no doubt fall pregnant & it just makes Tosh even more unlikable.

How does someone falling pregnant make them unlikable?