What mobile service companies allow tethering nowadays in UK?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
Forum Member
Hi there,

I am looking for mobile service provider what allow tethering and unlimited internet in one price.
As I am thinking to live in caravan I decided to make a hotspot from one mobile phone and share internet to other 3 pc's. I will get a regular mobile contract with internet,sms and talking minutes. Any ideas what company should I choose? I heard that company 3(three) do unlimited internet and don't care if you tether. Opinions ?

Regards,
Ed

Comments

• irvin38Airvin38A Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, Three allow tethering on their One Plan (30 day or 12 monthly). And it is unlimited data.

Taken from Three website:

If you're on The One Plan you can use the internet when you're out and about with other devices including laptops, tablets and games consoles, just by connecting them through Wi-Fi or USB to your phone. You can tether on all our One Plan tariffs including our one month rolling SIM plan.

If you’re on one of our Pay Monthly plans, including the Essential Internet and Ultimate Internet Plans and want to tether, you’ll need to buy an Add-on. You’ll then get a tethering allowance. You can only use this allowance in the UK.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are mixed messages regarding Virgin's attitude to tethering. I'm on their VIP 'Unlimited Everything' plan and even though the T's & C's say it's not allowed, everyone you speak to at Virgin insist it is allowed and that the fair use data cap only applies when you tether.

I've tethered quite a few things while i've been with Virgin and have never had an issue so far.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three is your only choice for unlimited tethering on The One Plan only.

Costs £15 or £18 per month on 12 month or 1 month contracts.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O2 do. It comes out of your data allowance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O2 do. It comes out of your data allowance.

O2 doesn't allow unlimited data and tethering all in one
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if its 'allowed' but both Orange and T-Mobile have never had an issue with me tethering. And I do it quite a lot. (T-Mobile on unlimited data)
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tethered quite a few things while i've been with Virgin and have never had an issue so far.

Thats fine in the current term, on a rolling contract, but I certainly wouldn't be signing up for a long term contract on the same basis. Obviously the technology exists to block tethering as a lot of the other networks use it, so its possibly only a matter of time before Virgin introduce it and that could of course happen at any time, if its already stated in their T&C's - they won't even have to give any notice of a block, the first you'll know about it is when you can't do it any more.

I suspect that if more and more people tether on a non tethering contract, it will give them the incentive they need to physically put a block on it, so you probably aren't doing yourself any favours by openly promoting it. :D
    that the fair use data cap only applies when you tether

Unless their FUP has changed in the last few months, that wasn't my experience. I used around 4gb whilst away from home, it was entirely 100% handset data use, it was only when nothing would buffer that Virgin Mobile Staff informed me that their Fair Use Policy had changed (back then it had reduced from 10gb to 3.5gb) and that by exceeding it, my data was now throttled until the first of the following month.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1973 wrote: »
    Unless their FUP has changed in the last few months, that wasn't my experience. I used around 4gb whilst away from home, it was entirely 100% handset data use, it was only when nothing would buffer that Virgin Mobile Staff informed me that their Fair Use Policy had changed (back then it had reduced from 10gb to 3.5gb) and that by exceeding it, my data was now throttled until the first of the following month.

This is why I think Virgin do need to issue some sort of full and final clarification on the matter because the call centre staff continue to tell you that the data allowance is truly unlimited and that you can tether while the T's & C's continue to tell you that you can't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I'm not sure if its 'allowed' but both Orange and T-Mobile have never had an issue with me tethering. And I do it quite a lot. (T-Mobile on unlimited data)

if you're on the old full monty tariff then tethering is allowed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you're on the old full monty tariff then tethering is allowed

new contract two months ago. Maybe they'll get me but no-one's complained yet.

*perhaps* there's a difference between tethering tablets and tethering laptops though? I presume the latter is far easier to detect....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    new contract two months ago. Maybe they'll get me but no-one's complained yet.

*perhaps* there's a difference between tethering tablets and tethering laptops though? I presume the latter is far easier to detect....

I guess you're not using too much data, below 5GB maybe?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess you're not using too much data, below 5GB maybe?

nothing too crazy. on home wifi for most stuff. Did sit in the park and watch a couple of hours of streamed BBC stuff though. otherwise pretty constantly tethered for stuff like playing ingress and using maps on my tablet. But no torrenting or anything like that.

if I was using it as a replacement for a landline I'd prob be in trouble, but as a compliment to it, they seem, at least, happy to turn a blind eye.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    irvin38A wrote: »
    Yes, Three allow tethering on their One Plan (30 day or 12 monthly). And it is unlimited data.

Taken from Three website:

If you're on The One Plan you can use the internet when you're out and about with other devices including laptops, tablets and games consoles, just by connecting them through Wi-Fi or USB to your phone. You can tether on all our One Plan tariffs including our one month rolling SIM plan.

If you’re on one of our Pay Monthly plans, including the Essential Internet and Ultimate Internet Plans and want to tether, you’ll need to buy an Add-on. You’ll then get a tethering allowance. You can only use this allowance in the UK.

I don't understand.

In terms and conditions it say's tethering isn't allowed to use as a router and on next sentence it say's it is allowed to use for tethering. It still doesn't make any sense for me.

"If your smartphone plan includes all you can eat data, then this is for data consumption actually on your smartphone. It does not include using your smartphone as a modem to connect other devices such as laptops and tablets – also known as “Tethering”. Tethering is included in (i) The One Plan; (ii) the One Plan SIM only; or (iii) By purchasing an Ultimate Internet Plan with the Tethering Add on. The add-on can be purchased via My3 on your handset and is also available to customers on our Talk and Text plans."

link - http://www.three.co.uk/Privacy_Cookies/Terms_Conditions?site=d&content_aid=1220469566802

I will definitely try 1 month contract as I don't know how good coverage is for internet.in my new place. Also what phone would you suggest to buy (could be second hand) to use as a router ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddy_Eddys wrote: »
    I don't understand.

In terms and conditions it say's tethering isn't allowed to use as a router and on next sentence it say's it is allowed to use for tethering. It still doesn't make any sense for me.

"If your smartphone plan includes all you can eat data, then this is for data consumption actually on your smartphone. It does not include using your smartphone as a modem to connect other devices such as laptops and tablets – also known as “Tethering”. Tethering is included in (i) The One Plan; (ii) the One Plan SIM only; or (iii) By purchasing an Ultimate Internet Plan with the Tethering Add on. The add-on can be purchased via My3 on your handset and is also available to customers on our Talk and Text plans."

link - http://www.three.co.uk/Privacy_Cookies/Terms_Conditions?site=d&content_aid=1220469566802

I will definitely try 1 month contract as I don't know how good coverage is for internet.in my new place. Also what phone would you suggest to buy (could be second hand) to use as a router ?

if you read clearly and correctly it is saying that if your data plan includes all you can eat data it is for use on your smartphone only, it then goes on to say that tethering is only allowed on The One Plan.

so by getting The One Plan £18 sim only like you said you wanted, you're allowed to tether on that tariff.

As for the phone, I would recommend a "4G ready" device, if you're looking to spend a decent amount of money I would recommend HTC One or Nokia Lumia 925 which are both around £300 sim free and excellent phones, if you're looking to save a bit of money but still have a device that supports 4G and DC-HSDPA speeds Nokia Lumia 625 is a good device as its only around £130-£140 sim free.

Remember Three will be offering free 4G for all so its recommended getting a device that supports 4G.
    Forum Member
    Thank you for your help.

as I am thinking to save money, what phone would you suggest for 3G ? It could be cheapest android what supports Hot Spot isn't ?
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    So, ok, I'm with EE for my iPhone because I'm very rural and worry about the lack of 2G fallback which is fine.
    My home broadband is 1.7Mbps so pretty crap.
    I can get a 1-2 bar 3G signal in an upstairs window so this would be the same for Three also (mast is MBNL).
    My ADSL is currently down so I'm right now connected wirelessly to my iPhone 5 which is in said window.
    Rather cool as I'm getting 7 Meg!
    4G coming soon (and I understand Three will be using EE's 1800Mhz) so could I get a £15 per month SIM only (The One plan) and stick it in a 4G ready handset and then use as much data as I want tethered to my PC?
    That would be rather splendid I have to say.

4G would be around 3-4 bars (and more with 800Mhz) so I would then be getting up to 30 Meg or so.
    I'm reading the Three T&Cs but can't quite believe them :)
  • dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    The new Full Monty plans from T-Mobile do include tethering, however, they've been tinkered with so that you don't get as many minutes and they cost a little more each month.

I'm currently with 3 on one of their SIM plans which is not the one plan and I occasionally tether. They've not said anything or blocked it, however I don't rinse it or use it as a replacement home broadband (I have 1GB internet).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your help.

as I am thinking to save money, what phone would you suggest for 3G ? It could be cheapest android what supports Hot Spot isn't ?

Since you're only using it for hotspot what does it matter which operating system it uses, what you should be looking for is its hardware.

the Nokia Lumia 625 is only about £130 its supports 3G & 4G, so you'll be able to tether at 4G speeds when Three release it in your area.

You wont find any android handset out there that supports 4G aswell at that low price.
    dslrocks wrote: »
    The new Full Monty plans from T-Mobile do include tethering, however, they've been tinkered with so that you don't get as many minutes and they cost a little more each month.

I'm currently with 3 on one of their SIM plans which is not the one plan and I occasionally tether. They've not said anything or blocked it, however I don't rinse it or use it as a replacement home broadband (I have 1GB internet).

T-Mobile limit 3G speeds to 4Mbps on full monty tariffs, and you wont be getting 4G speeds for free like you would on Three.

Also which new T-Mobile full monty plans allow tethering, do you have a link? as I just checked and they all say not including tethering.
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The One Plan is fine for tethering when used in a mobile phone, however I believe Three can tell if you're using a mobile plan in a mifi and often put a stop to it. I'm sure it's in their terms somewhere, too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

both of those plans will work just fine for tethering, but using that sim card in a mifi device is not allowed, they will detect it and stop it
    Forum Member
    right, I cannot decide between htc wildfire and samsung galaxy i9000 as I don't know what speed they offer for tethering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    right, I cannot decide between htc wildfire and samsung galaxy i9000 as I don't know what speed they offer for tethering.

they both offer a max speed of 7.2Mbps
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

Neither.

What's your budget?
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    So, ok, I'm with EE for my iPhone because I'm very rural and worry about the lack of 2G fallback which is fine.
    My home broadband is 1.7Mbps so pretty crap.
    I can get a 1-2 bar 3G signal in an upstairs window so this would be the same for Three also (mast is MBNL).
    My ADSL is currently down so I'm right now connected wirelessly to my iPhone 5 which is in said window.
    Rather cool as I'm getting 7 Meg!
    4G coming soon (and I understand Three will be using EE's 1800Mhz) so could I get a £15 per month SIM only (The One plan) and stick it in a 4G ready handset and then use as much data as I want tethered to my PC?
    That would be rather splendid I have to say.

4G would be around 3-4 bars (and more with 800Mhz) so I would then be getting up to 30 Meg or so.
    I'm reading the Three T&Cs but can't quite believe them :)

Yeh that's right. I currently do this already. Think the max i've used in a month is 80GB. Normally my usage is somewhere around 20GB-30GB per month.