Options

I cannot BELIEVE the ACTING in Hollyoaks! Bloody Awful!!

max_garfieldmax_garfield Posts: 3,582
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have not watched Hollyoaks for around 3-4 years, I just gave up after the constant murders and characters coming back for storylines only to be killed off.

Anyway I tuned in on Monday (I think it was the e4 ep) to see who was going to be killed off. I thought it was going to be Amy and wanted to see what happened.

Obviously there's loads of new characters now but I could not believe the acting! There was some really overdramatic woman with short hair who did the most appalling gasp I have ever seen in my life when being confronted by her daughter I think.

It is literaly like all of these actors are from a local stage/theatre class that is attended to on a Saturday.

Please tell me I am not wrong here!?

Comments

• Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously there's loads of new characters now but I could not believe the acting! There was some really overdramatic woman with short hair who did the most appalling gasp I have ever seen in my life when being confronted by her daughter I think.

It is literaly like all of these actors are from a local stage/theatre class that is attended to on a Saturday.

You are probably thinking of Marnie, played by Lysette Anthony. ironically she's had a very long and varied career: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000771/
  • Options
    AncalagonAncalagon Posts: 2,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not watched Hollyoaks for around 3-4 years, I just gave up after the constant murders and characters coming back for storylines only to be killed off.

Anyway I tuned in on Monday (I think it was the e4 ep) to see who was going to be killed off. I thought it was going to be Amy and wanted to see what happened.

You are not wrong! Hollyoaks is nothing but utter trash these days. The calibre of acting is terrible, they have always had a quick revolving door and to big a cast in that soap but these days it's just becoming comical.

The actors are never in it long enough to hone their craft so hard hitting/slow burning storylines are neglected in favour of sensationalism and "murders of the week" and big stunts.. it's lazy storytelling.

I can't believe the guy in charge is the same man from the 2007/8 era who brought us great storylines Hannah's anorexia and Jp and Craig initial love story... back when the gay characters were not swapping partners every other week...
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is good and bad acting in Oaks just like all the soaps. There are some great actors in Oaks namely those who play Nancy, Darren, Sienna, Leela, Grace, Esther, James, JP, Tony, Mercedes, Ellie.

Compare these to duds in Corrie like Maria, Fiz, Izzy, Chesney, Sean.

I thunk all soaps have their fair share of duds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks has the worst actors of all the soaps. Yes there are good ones but overall HO is the worst for acting range.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree i think overall Corrie has more bad actors.
    The good thing about Oaks is that people don't stay long so bad actors soon leave. Sadly we seem to be stuck with Dev, Sean and Fiz in Corrie forever.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marnie was played awfully when Ellie assused her. I know crying scenes are hard but thatvwas just embarrasing.
  • Options
    HOAddictHOAddict Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marnie was played awfully when Ellie assused her. I know crying scenes are hard but thatvwas just embarrasing.

I thought that was deliberate. Marnie is acting. She is lying to her daughter and trying to appear vulnerable and scared. We know she is lying, so it wouldn't work if it was believable.
  • Options
    loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    HOAddict wrote: »
    I thought that was deliberate. Marnie is acting. She is lying to her daughter and trying to appear vulnerable and scared. We know she is lying, so it wouldn't work if it was believable.

Her ordinary acting is just as bad though.
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member

It's nothing new
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duncan James is the worst. Awful.
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member

That would be Marnie, I agree she's terrible.

Other than her, the rest was of the cast are fine. Unfortunately Hollyoaks can't seem to shake off that stigma of being full of bimbos!
    These kind of threads make me laugh, they pop up every once in a while, with someone claiming they've watched for the first time in four years, simply to slag the show off!

True it's far from perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than than it has been.
  • Options
    ReoReo Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    HOAddict wrote: »

I thought that too, but we have seen her occasionally acting serious and it's just as terrible. There is no difference between her fake and real acting.

No-one can judge the acting based on one person, especially Marnie with her weird acting, no of the other characters act in a similar way. The show has some incredible actors, great actors, okay actors and terrible only hired for their looks/reality star actors. No different to other soaps.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    That would be Marnie, I agree she's terrible.

Other than her, the rest was of the cast are fine. Unfortunately Hollyoaks can't seem to shake off that stigma of being full of bimbos!
    These kind of threads make me laugh, they pop up every once in a while, with someone claiming they've watched for the first time in four years, simply to slag the show off!

True it's far from perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than than it has been.

I love the story Guy Burnet told of how he got the role of Craig Dean, back in 2002 when what you looked like really did get you a job in HO! He was about 18 and it was probably his first job.

He got the job, not cos of his acting ability but because he looked so much like Jodi Albert who was to play his sister (they would have easily passed for brother and sister back then) He says that himself and he also mentioned that when he auditioned they asked him to take his top off! lol I just love that story! Presumably if his body hadn't looked the part he'd never have got the job! :D And he was to play a 14 year old boy!

I just love that bit about taking his top off. Can't imagine him being asked to do that if he'd auditioned for Corrie or EE or Emmerdale!

Course, that was back in 2002. I was gonna say presumably acting ability does come into it these days, but the OP would obviously not think so! :D
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Disagree completely. There are lots of good actors in the show atm and sure it has it's duds but it's wrong to call them all bad just because you don't like certain ones.
    Also the actress who plays Marnie has acted for decades so if she is so bad then how does she get so many roles?

Corrie has more bad actors imo.
  • Options
    deisegirldeisegirl Posts: 3,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So much panto acting in Hollyoaks. Evil smirks behind people's backs and eye rolling galore. I love to hate it though :)
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All soaps have there fair share of terrible actors.
  • Options
    JWDrama1980JWDrama1980 Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    All soaps have there fair share of terrible actors.

100% Agree. There are some really bad actors that have been on other soaps for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deisegirl wrote: »
    So much panto acting in Hollyoaks. Evil smirks behind people's backs and eye rolling galore. I love to hate it though :)

Yes! That's exactly what I mean.

Like when Grace was walking down the train platform smirking after (presumably) shooting that woman. Wtf lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me...Hollyoaks is the eye candy soap xD
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! That's exactly what I mean.

Like when Grace was walking down the train platform smirking after (presumably) shooting that woman. Wtf lol

To be fair Hollyoaks storylines are much more OTT compared to other soaps anyway hence why some of the characters act the way they do.

After the moving scenes with Nancy and Darren last night i refuse to believe that Oaks is a bimbo soap, as some have said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me...Hollyoaks is the eye candy soap xD

There is more eye candy in emmerdale to be fair.
  • Options
    TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is more eye candy in emmerdale to be fair.

That's down to opinion really. I do think Robert and Aaron are attractive from Ed but I don't watch it.
  • Options
    Lulu_Lulu_ Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Duncan James is the worst. Awful.

Not as bad as Shayne Ward in Corrie :p
  • Options
    lewismacflewismacf Posts: 14,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lulu_ wrote: »
    Not as bad as Shayne Ward in Corrie :p

I like Shayne in corrie